Why does the game still use 100% of the CPU?

Users who are viewing this thread

JimmyCakes

Regular
It's been a year and the game still uses 100% of the CPU, it actually prevents me sometimes for accessing my other drives because it's ragging my computer so much even at the main menu.

Too much horses and sheep in you inventory, AI constantly calculating their feelings!
Seriously, I don't understand how people stream the game and that stuff okay because, although I don't actually know how much of my system it uses, it seems to use a whole ****ing lot! Can barely get my toast finished during play on my Frankenstein boomer machine :razz:
I ducktaped the SDD in there and use the optical drive cord...cuz I don't know how to get a new one

buy a new Ryzen CPU

I don't understand how people stream the game and that stuff okay because, although I don't actually know how much of my system it uses, it seems to use a whole ****ing lot!
Many streamers use a second pc with a capture card like elgato so they don't suffer any performance drops in any game on their main gaming rig.

You definitely gotta check your max fps to prevent some stutters. Some performance fixes still needed

It's been a year and the game still uses 100% of the CPU, it actually prevents me sometimes for accessing my other drives because it's ragging my computer so much even at the main menu.
100% CPU usage is normal for well-optimised games, there is no reason not to use all available memory.

maybe not at the main menu though

100% CPU usage is normal for well-optimised games, there is no reason not to use all available memory.

Strange how no other game I play does that then. Perhaps it's just better to admit this game was optimised by a bunch of interns working for free.

do you use nvidia gpu?
check this out

it's a cpu focused game. try lowering troop count on screen and see how it runs

Also the CPU has not that much in common with your RAM (memory).
this is true, I meant processing power.

No, that´s not true
I'm pretty sure it is true. Why would you want to arbitrarily limit some amount of CPU if the game can use it? If you optimise down to 30%, why not put the battle size up 3x?

Strange how no other game I play does that then. Perhaps it's just better to admit this game was optimised by a bunch of interns working for free.
Games that are more CPU heavy will try to use near 100%. It's the most efficient way to use the processor...

I have criticisms of BL too but fwiw I think the engine is good and I trust the optimisation on the engine side. Maybe there are optimisation problems, but I don't think "using 100% cpu" is a good benchmark.

Are you sure putting the game down to 60 wont mess anything up? It felt like there was lag or something compared if i had it at 80 for example. What about the refresh rate?

I'm pretty sure it is true. Why would you want to arbitrarily limit some amount of CPU if the game can use it? If you optimise down to 30%, why not put the battle size up 3x?
Because it doesn´t work that way. Monster CPU X can have a 30% usage while the game is at it´s limit. But virgin CPU Y can be at 100% and be at it´s limit while the game can do more.

It´s not the same as with ram, it makes sense to use as much free ram as needed and possible. But the same doesn´t work for the CPU/GPU.

Are you sure putting the game down to 60 wont mess anything up? It felt like there was lag or something compared if i had it at 80 for example. What about the refresh rate?
I have also limited the FPS to 60 because my monitor can´t handle more FPS. I have no lags.

This is very much not true.

When running a game your CPU is doing more than just running that game. Using 100% CPU brings your computer to a halt because it cannot do anything else CPU intensive as there is no processing power left.

"
"
There's other bottlenecks than just the CPU.

"
I have criticisms of BL too but fwiw I think the engine is good and I trust the optimisation on the engine side. Maybe there are optimisation problems, but I don't think "using 100% cpu" is a good benchmark.
"
Bannerlord is not awful, but could be optimized further. Another issue is it has frequent memory leaks which cause the game to use massive amounts of memory over time just from doing things like opening the menu (it's very frequently reports and has been acknowledged).

Last edited:
Bannerlord is a Dx11 game so not relevant.

21:08
i should also note this can be also true for dx11 games but the game needs to fully utilize all cores before the geforce driver overhead rears its ugly head and that's not something you're going to see with most dx11 games
it doesn't hurt to collect more info on the issue.

Tell me what processor do you have? How much RAM and do you have dual-channel memory mode enabled? What is the scan rate of the matrix of your monitor?

The game using 100% of cpu is not a problem, you actually want it to use all of your available resources to get as good of a performance as possible. The problem is when it uses 100% of cpu and you still have lag...

The game using 100% of cpu is not a problem, you actually want it to use all of your available resources to get as good of a performance as possible. The problem is when it uses 100% of cpu and you still have lag...
This would mean that:

a) The game isn´t well optimised
b) Your CPU is just too weak #pathetic

And no, you don´t want a game to use all of your available CPU/GPU/RAM ressources, you want the game to use all the ressources it really needs.

Last edited:
If a game doesn't use 100% of your CPU and RAM and GPU, it's not a very good game. Constant HD reads and writes are a bonus.
A good game will utilize to the maximum all PC components you bought for this exact reason - to be used by good games. You are getting maximum value back so you should be happy and buy more games like this.

Back
Top Bottom