Debating implementation of a Reaction/Like system

Users who are viewing this thread

Why this thread is still unlocked lol?
Because you're not a moderator, apparently.
And I imagine because (mostly new) people are occasionally likely to want to offer their opinions on why they feel we should enable such a system here, because some other sites they like have them. With this thread locked, they'd likely just end up opening a new thread instead. And who knows, it's still possible someone will come forward with such compelling reasons to enable such a system here that they'll change enough minds to make it happen. Unlikely, but remotely possible.

With this thread locked, they'd likely just end up opening a new thread instead.
This is the reason, rest is just sugar coating.

Edit: On a second thought, this topic served well as a place to mock and ridicule people who wanted a feature which probably most Xenforo based forums already using without overreacting on it. Yeah, that could be another good reason.

Last edited:
This is the reason, rest is just sugar coating.

Edit: On a second thought, this topic served well as a place to mock and ridicule people who wanted a feature which probably most Xenforo based forums already using without overreacting on it. Yeah, that could be another good reason.

Yes, the majority of Xenforo based forums are already using the built in like system, some of which are bigger hubs of scum and villainy than this forum, and the world has not ended, nor has the like system become a popularity contest.

So there's that.

Why would you want TW to become a hub of scum and villainy? I say no to that. Also say no to Headlice or whoever he is.
TW forums already is a hub of scum and villainy. But there are ones that are even bigger, and they haven't turned into popularity contests because of a like system, nor has the world ended.

I'm less concerned about popular posts/people getting disproportionate attention than I am about unpopular users getting routinely suppressed. Right now the only way to act against someone's opinion is to post your own--with likes/dislikes, you can put someone down systematically without ever putting yourself in the spotlight. We already have a problem with a handful of users being routinely targeted, though it's usually just toeing the line. Making it easier for people to keep them down is not in their interest or in the interest of moderation staff.

You have already said so. Other forums are bigger hubs of scum and villainy. Your own words, Now beat it.
That's a strawman. They were bigger hubs of scum and villainy before the like button.

The like button did not end the world. The like button did not cause a popularity contest there.

Taleworlds forum is also a hub of scum and villainy. Implementing a like button will not make it a bigger hub of scum and villainy, it will not cause the world to end, it will not cause popularity contests.

So again, demonstrate that it would lower the boundaries of participation. Otherwise you're just irrationally opposed to something without any evidence.

I'm less concerned about popular posts/people getting disproportionate attention than I am about unpopular users getting routinely suppressed. Right now the only way to act against someone's opinion is to post your own--with likes/dislikes, you can put someone down systematically without ever putting yourself in the spotlight. We already have a problem with a handful of users being routinely targeted, though it's usually just toeing the line. Making it easier for people to keep them down is not in their interest or in the interest of moderation staff.
That's not how the system works on Xenforo, so your concern is unfounded.

The system is not a like/dislike system like reddit. It's simply a "like" system. As in, at the bottom of a post it simply says "x user liked this post". Nobody is put down, nothing is suppressed.

That's not how the system works on Xenforo, so your concern is unfounded.

The system is not a like/dislike system like reddit. It's simply a "like" system. As in, at the bottom of a post it simply says "x user liked this post". Nobody is put down, nothing is suppressed.
I'm aware that's the default, but it was not the only system being considered. Reference the first page of this topic again to find a post by Delinard where he commented on this.

I am not against likes-only in principle, but I'm not sure what it would add outside of fringe cases where existing sort/search functionality is insufficient. It may be encouraging to modders & other content creators, I suppose, as it's another way for them to see how widely their work is appreciated. For the average thread it's not really helpful, I think.

This thread is going on for long enough that the same arguments are repeated over and over. That won't stop me though!
The like system is great for casual browsing on a massively active forum where you can't and don't want to participate in every debate. This forum is sadly not one of those. But if you are used to the like system from elsewhere, you would like to use it here too.
There are enough threads where people simply reply with "+1" and they have nothing to add - this is where the like system shines. There are also examples where there is a long argument between two people and you don't want to butt in, because you don't have anything substantial to add, but you do want to show support for one side (real current example: whether games require good coding practices - THEY DO DAMMIT). Instead, in order to show support for one side, I'm required to post banalities like "I agree with all your wonderful thoughts on this matter and your opponent is inadequate".
Encouraging modders with likes may be helpful too, as Orion said, although they rather look at download counts and are motivated by posts full of mindless praise. :smile:

There's no real downside to introducing likes, so why not make it happen? As a bonus, you'll piss off Brutus too.

Last edited:
Vader, kiss me where the skin turns pink, you worthless scum. But let me project a little. I'm against anything that lowers the boundaries for participation. We have plenty of mindless members who can barely speak as it is now. No need to encourage more.

aren't +1 and -1 posts against the rules anyways? It's not like we need a solution to replace them, but rather a way to prevent them from existing. +1 and -1 have the same effect as thumbs up and thumbs down and thus they should be more strictly prohibited.

aren't +1 and -1 posts against the rules anyways? It's not like we need a solution to replace them, but rather a way to prevent them from existing. +1 and -1 have the same effect as thumbs up and thumbs down and thus they should be more strictly prohibited.
Agreed.
:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom