Will there be a Taleworld statement

Users who are viewing this thread

No one year statement and everyone creates yet another hate train.

Still not fixed? I last played like 6 months ago(?) I would have thought it would have been better now damn...
That's because many of the maps are placeholders and have not gotten the finished scenes in yet, yes I understand your frustration but when you play on a finished siege map it works pretty well.

My last 2 weeks I have 160 hours. That was playing the Bannerlord Online mod solely. Today I fancied playing some multiplayer, here's how it went:

Logged in, went into TDM, forced into play **** class, oh well don't care, didn't die in melee once, just repeatedly stabbed in the back by cav, eventually gave up actually trying to have a fight when my one good hit against a cav player completely whiffed for some reason and he couched me. Went to skirmish queue ended up in a game already 2-0 full of newbies, might as well have given me the 3-0 and be done with it. Next game it crashed loading. Load it back up and sit in queue for skirmish for 15 minutes. Give up waiting and decide **** it, I'll try captain solo for the first time in yonks. Spent the entire 3 minutes of my playtime as an Arbelist unit shooting some twat who was couching my dudes 1 at a time, and basically gave up trying to enjoy multiplayer.

Went to singleplayer, figured I'd try a full realism run after seeing how balanced it felt on the "BO" mod. Spent the first 10 minutes just trying to find a damn soldier to recruit. Spent the next hour trying to grind relations on villages to open up more recruitment slots inbetween doing tournaments, got incredibly bored at how long it was going to take me, and finally lost the will to play when the one dude I managed to open an extra slot up on, ****ing died. 20 looter parties vs my 15 run away as soon as they go 4 men down literal feet from my archer line, I then have to spend the next 5 minutes chasing them down again and again because they run away faster than they actually run at you. **** this I thought, I'm going back to Bannerlord Online.

It's typically either the community manager or some executive that makes statements like that, not devs (although Mexxico seems to have taken it upon himself to assume that role in lieu of any of those guys actually doing their jobs).

Official Modus Operandi:
Expect the worst for Bannerlord, don't even bother hoping for the best because it ain't happening, and pray to all the Gods out there that the modding situation will turn out well.

That's because many of the maps are placeholders and have not gotten the finished scenes in yet, yes I understand your frustration but when you play on a finished siege map it works pretty well.
On which map is the siege AI pretty good? Haven´t found one yet.

Also shouldn´t they focus on finishing main features like siege maps / siege AI before doing other stuff?

You say that like it's the devs' job to make announcements.

A One-Year of EA Anniversary Announcement is pretty standard.
exactly, it's not the devs' job to make announcements. It's not their obligation to do so. But here we are, people just waiting for this one year anniversary to find more reasons to hate... imagine hating on your friends or family because they're not celebrating their own birthday, lol. "Where's MY food for YOUR birthday?!"

Time is relative anyhow, I'd rather them celebrate and make announcements of what is to come in the future at the end of the EA, at least it will be more informative. DLC's and what not. Also I'm pretty sure there are already statements on what they're working on currently, but people still asking for roadmaps anyway. I know skill progression is one of the current priorities, and that's all I care about;

exactly, it's not the devs' job to make announcements. It's not their obligation to do so. But here we are, people just waiting for this one year anniversary to find more reasons to hate... imagine hating on your friends or family because they're not celebrating their own birthday, lol. "Where's MY food for YOUR birthday?!"

Time is relative anyhow, I'd rather them celebrate and make announcements of what is to come in the future at the end of the EA, at least it will be more informative. DLC's and what not. Also I'm pretty sure there are already statements on what they're working on currently, but people still asking for roadmaps anyway. I know skill progression is one of the current priorities, and that's all I care about;
You do realize companies aren't comprised only of devs?

A post/announcement on the situation of the game is bloody standard on the anniversary of a game's EA release. Expecting a patch is too much, but expecting an update post is nothing but reasonable. That doesn't mean they won't make a post later this week, but it is kind of disappointing they didn't say a single thing on the D-Day, kind of like telling "happy birthday" a day or two late.

Their statements are broad as the Pacific, we have no idea of the scope of the changes, apart from the fact they might be underwhelming. You might only care about skill progression but that obviously isn't the case for everyone here, quite the contrary.

You do realize companies aren't comprised only of devs?

A post/announcement on the situation of the game is bloody standard on the anniversary of a game's EA release. Expecting a patch is too much, but expecting an update post is nothing but reasonable. That doesn't mean they won't make a post later this week, but it is kind of disappointing they didn't say a single thing on the D-Day, kind of like telling "happy birthday" a day or two late.

Their statements are broad as the Pacific, we have no idea of the scope of the changes, apart from the fact they might be underwhelming. You might only care about skill progression but that obviously isn't the case for everyone here, quite the contrary.
People expected update posts and hated even before the 'anniversary', this is not something new. Hence why I say that the anniversary is just another reason to hate. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much, it's just another day. Devs were overwhelmingly pressured into releasing EA by the community, and they finally did so after rejecting the idea many times, and when they did it was buggy and devoid of features as should have been expected. After that there were numerous complaints and hate-trains constantly on the forums. Many people unfamiliar with the franchise also have tried the game and stopped playing it soon afterwards because of the mess the game was unfortunately, which is hardly a reason to celebrate, again (it was a very hyped up game and because of that it raised expectations even in the people new to the series, naturally). Also, games become popular through streaming and videos, and many streamers stopped playing it after a few hours even, and you can imagine that impression was passed down to the community. I remember someone saying jokingly "Even the intro is from 2012, my god", it was pretty embarrassing.

As impressions go, we know that first impressions are utmost important. People are quick to judge naturally. Bannerlord could have reached broader audiences if the release was "shinier", more polished. Even though development without community feedback would have been way worse and slower in the grand scheme of things, it still doesn't change the fact that the release was way beneath many people's expectations. If anything, devs should get smashed and forget about that ever happening. A better reason to celebrate is the end of EA and mentions of upcoming DLCs or future updates, and since the full release has been postponed, I don't see why the celebration shouldn't be postponed as well. They are still in EA, still fixing things, still trying out ideas and implementing or rejecting them. What will be implemented is pretty much hit or miss and uncertain.

As you say, "it's pretty standard". So you can already imagine what you are going to get for a "pretty standard thing". "Greetings Warriors of Calradia! We finally reached 1 year of early access, and what a journey it has been!". Seriously, do you really want to see that? Do you really need that? Be honest with yourself now. Look at Valheim, they kept announcing "we hit 1 million sales! 2 million sales! 3 million sales!". Meanwhile, some people were like... "umm, ok, that's cool and all, but what about the content?". Still, that game has way more support and way more of a positive community. This community lashes out at anything so I don't see the point of these "standard" things, as it's not a "standard" community. Do you remember the weekly dev blogs? Many times they were critiqued as well for lacking substance. People will never be happy, always find reasons to hate;

I find roadmaps to be pretty vague and shallow anyway, so I don't get why people are so infatuated with this idea. No dev likes to work with a gun pointed at their head being told to implement something very specific. Sometimes ideas come, sometimes ideas go. Also by now you should know these devs. They really hate giving estimates and saying what they're working on, because things can change, and they know they'll disappoint people. The community should really understand this by now, but somehow they still don't.

From my perspective people are not begging for a roadmap, they're just begging for more reasons to be disappointed, and more reasons to hate because it's fun to do so. Maybe some don't but many do 100% exactly this. If devs created a road map there would be tons of complaints that some things are not in it. And what does the community expect? All their suggestions to be put into the road-map, of course... even the tiniest details that should be left to modders, and even things that devs don't agree with. It simply doesn't seem like a good idea to create a road-map and say "these are the only things we will be working on in this EA", especially not with this community. It will never go well, and it will never be quite enough, only if they literally take all the suggestions the community has given and put them in the road-map, which is what people actually expect from it probably. Very unrealistic, it will never happen.

As for the main things, we already know they will improve progression, they will fix sieges, like those are 100% no-brainers. No need for a road-map to tell you what you already know, do you now? We'll have keep battles, some more basic control over our parties (defensive/aggressive, wages) etc. We know plenty they're working on already, and it's always nice to be surprised by the extra. The only thing is that it's just not structured as people want it, that's pretty much it. Everyone loves telling the fish to climb a tree. "Be this, do this". People need to understand that there are different people in this world, some like more flexibility in their approach and more freedom. You like freedom don't you? Nobody wants to be a slave to something, yet many are. If they don't like doing this one thing, and they do give sensical, logical reasons for it, I don't get why people still insist on asking for it, especially when it's just so trivial.

I know you mean well, but you are wrong on several points.
1. A realistic roadmap is always a plus. It sets the correct expectations early.
Is it better to be disappointed in a roadmap or in the final product? If you don't know what you'll get, you will likely feel cheated. If your pet suggestion is not in the roadmap, you may rant about it, but won't say you were cheated out of something in the end. You may even get over it.
2. The dev blogs were sometimes lacking in substance. Those that were substantial were received well and people that are negative today were very positive and excited then. The hype in the dev blogs that sold Bannerlord was misleading - this is the cause of much ill will. Blame the people making the dev blogs, the forum fans had nothing to do with this.
What was telling and strange, was that after the EA, Callum declared there's no more need for dev blogs. Why? Because they served their purpose to sell the game. Only later they decided that dev blogs are necessary for EA as well, something that was obvious to everyone else.
3. The developers are paid employees, not free artists. Committing to a feature is normal part of development and not pointing a gun at a wage slave, as you imagine. The project manager is responsible to have the latest information on planned features, work estimates and milestones, including a release date. The problem is again with Taleworlds for their inability to track and manage their own progress since 2016 at least. This not only makes them always late, but uncertain about what they would do in a given time and what features need to be cut. They are improvising too much and not being pros enough. Again, their fault. "It will be done when it's done" is a horrible amateurish excuse.

I know you mean well, but you are wrong on several points.
1. A realistic roadmap is always a plus. It sets the correct expectations early.
Is it better to be disappointed in a roadmap or in the final product? If you don't know what you'll get, you will likely feel cheated. If your pet suggestion is not in the roadmap, you may rant about it, but won't say you were cheated out of something in the end. You may even get over it.
2. The dev blogs were sometimes lacking in substance. Those that were substantial were received well and people that are negative today were very positive and excited then. The hype in the dev blogs that sold Bannerlord was misleading - this is the cause of much ill will. Blame the people making the dev blogs, the forum fans had nothing to do with this.
What was telling and strange, was that after the EA, Callum declared there's no more need for dev blogs. Why? Because they served their purpose to sell the game. Only later they decided that dev blogs are necessary for EA as well, something that was obvious to everyone else.
3. The developers are paid employees, not free artists. Committing to a feature is normal part of development and not pointing a gun at a wage slave, as you imagine. The project manager is responsible to have the latest information on planned features, work estimates and milestones, including a release date. The problem is again with Taleworlds for their inability to track and manage their own progress since 2016 at least. This not only makes them always late, but uncertain about what they would do in a given time and what features need to be cut. They are improvising too much and not being pros enough. Again, their fault. "It will be done when it's done" is a horrible amateurish excuse.
Good valid points but I still want to give some support to the idea that some people work better with more flexibility and less pressure. I have myself as an example so I understand, because if too much pressure is put onto me I lose motivation rather than gain it. I also know people who work better under more pressure instead, it motivates them, so it all depends on the individual. There are people who are more structured and imperative about their work than others and some who are more free-spirited. If you give either one the opposite approach, you cause loss of productivity and quality in the long run. As long as the product delivered will be fine by the end it's all good for me. (there are some games that have been in early access for literal years, and they're still buggy messes, so TW did make some great progress in the given year imo).

Like some devs stated, many of the current developers were modders themselves, so it is something they enjoyed doing even before getting paid, and they did it in their own free time and in their own pace. Imagine doing that, and then entering a work environment where you are pressured by the clock and deadlines every minute, it just wouldn't work, and it's also very unlikely to happen if a majority of your developers are like that (also look at Cyberbug 77, that is what happens when you're pressured by the clock, even to 'very reputable developers'). So when you think about it like that, it's hard to imagine a sudden shift in personality and work ethic for this certain organization, it's just unrealistic to expect a high amount of professionalism in that way, given the background of the developers. There can indeed be made improvements without jumping to an extreme, but take this point into consideration also.

Maybe they are amateurish, it's a valid criticism, but as long as they deliver on a product that will be enjoyed for years (even if through modding - so they give a good base, a good engine, good modding tools with all the documentation needed etc), I will still think it's a good enough job they did. You could say that the expectations are higher than this and all of that is fine, but in all reality there are so many games that disappointed way more than this, so I can safely say I'm happy with the current development of bannerlord. I've put more than 1000 hours in it as it is now (as some others did), in a completely unmodded game, even with the terrible progression and lack of end-game features, and it's already way better than vanilla unmodded warband, which I always felt like modding at least the annoying companion incompatibilities and complaints (so from a singleplayer perspective, bannerlord is better than warband for me. I know many people say WB multiplayer is more to their taste, so I won't argue against that at the moment. And again, I'm talking about unmodded, raw experience, singleplayer in particular. So, for me, no other game really delivered this much with this little you could say (EA). It's just a fun game, fun concept.

About roadmaps and such, you could tell even from those early devblogs that indeed, it is not something they enjoyed doing. It felt very mechanical, forced. When you enjoy doing something you deliver more than some of those devblogs, I agree, but at least they did try. They hired a new community manager and gave it a go. People like saying they don't listen to community often, but I think that's the wrong perception and only comes from disappointment derived from big expectations rather than it being the raw undisputable truth. And, some ideas do get rejected by the management, and that's that as well, not everything suggested will be applied, which might seem like they're not listening sometimes.

All in all, I've been disappointed by games before. There are developers who don't listen to community feedback at all or communicate... so TW might not be perfect, but there is way worse out there. And they keep working on the game thankfully, when many developers just take the money and run straight after the release of EA (people were accusing TW of doing that too, so you can see the trauma right there). It's been a year and they're still working on the game so I just want to say that I am thankful for that. About the roadmap, I am personally indifferent to that, as long as they keep responding to some requests and suggestions sometimes (and they do), and the game keeps getting developed. I got my money's worth tenfold already. We're getting voice chat, battle mode, keep battles, more polished features eventually including some end-game stuff... just with all of these the game is in a really good shape I'd say, and the possibility of modding makes the replayability essentially limitless, which not many games have.

I'm just saying, some criticism is definitely valid, but let's not ignore the good side as well, and let's try to accept that some things will probably never be to our own taste, like many things in life. Ever buy an odd tasting food from time to time?... a disappointing dessert?... life is all about that balance, we simply cannot avoid it... what I'm trying to remain conscious about is, that when I'm mad at someone or something, I'm really mad at myself, at my own shortcomings, weaknesses, imperfections. When in a game I'm mad at a teammate who is playing poorly, I know I've definitely been mad at myself for playing poorly before. Just something worth thinking about sometimes. When was I blamed, and when did I start blaming myself, and when did I begin blaming others? It's all just a cycle that needs a little bit of compassion sprinkled about, and it really starts with compassion towards ourselves...

My last 2 weeks I have 160 hours. That was playing the Bannerlord Online mod solely. Today I fancied playing some multiplayer, here's how it went:

Logged in, went into TDM, forced into play **** class, oh well don't care, didn't die in melee once, just repeatedly stabbed in the back by cav, eventually gave up actually trying to have a fight when my one good hit against a cav player completely whiffed for some reason and he couched me. Went to skirmish queue ended up in a game already 2-0 full of newbies, might as well have given me the 3-0 and be done with it. Next game it crashed loading. Load it back up and sit in queue for skirmish for 15 minutes. Give up waiting and decide **** it, I'll try captain solo for the first time in yonks. Spent the entire 3 minutes of my playtime as an Arbelist unit shooting some twat who was couching my dudes 1 at a time, and basically gave up trying to enjoy multiplayer.

Went to singleplayer, figured I'd try a full realism run after seeing how balanced it felt on the "BO" mod. Spent the first 10 minutes just trying to find a damn soldier to recruit. Spent the next hour trying to grind relations on villages to open up more recruitment slots inbetween doing tournaments, got incredibly bored at how long it was going to take me, and finally lost the will to play when the one dude I managed to open an extra slot up on, ****ing died. 20 looter parties vs my 15 run away as soon as they go 4 men down literal feet from my archer line, I then have to spend the next 5 minutes chasing them down again and again because they run away faster than they actually run at you. **** this I thought, I'm going back to Bannerlord Online.
Would you turn back for another 160 hours for a battle server that provides you highly customized abilities & extra/customized unit-equipments?
You have decent abilities.. Classes to pick... But, with gaining mastery points: you can develop ur wished decent abilities & you can have more equipments for desired unit within quite rich options...

What do u say about this? Would u turn & play +160 hours at this kind of offical battle server?

Back
Top Bottom