Archers are stupid

Users who are viewing this thread

Except at this stage there appears to be less control than what would have been possible.

Wanting the ability to command archers with more autonomy is not tipping that holy balance into slippery slope RTS-Total War territory.

I find your points convincing. I agree. Well said.

My archers tend to bunch up even though I command them to spread out, and now only a third of them feels like shooting, because thier archer buddies are in the way.

I recommend downloading the RTS camera mod. It does not let you tell which unit group of your archers to aim at but does work on your other melee units. Seems like there is some significant hindrance to make a targeting command for ranged to work.

Archers need to be told how to shoot in a formation.

- They refuse to shoot if someone is standing in front of them. Not even directly in front of them, just generally in the proximity of them.

- Their smooth brains are only able to shoot something that they have direct line of sight of.

- They will often focus fire on random cavalry instead of a mass of enemies that are a greater threat toward them.

I have lost and won games because of rogue cavalry units running around preventing archers from being useful.

You can literally place a horde of archers on the direct flank of an infantry battalion and they will still find a way to shoot at some Vlandian's pet goldfish instead.
You can try the Khuzait counter tactic. Where you march everyone to a corner of the map (can be tricky to find we should have a mini map) and deploy there, cavalry will bug out and stand against the "border" whilst your archers shoot them to pieces. It's how people deal with Khuzait horse archers

I recommend downloading the RTS camera mod. It does not let you tell which unit group of your archers to aim at but does work on your other melee units. Seems like there is some significant hindrance to make a targeting command for ranged to work.
Hinderence is that you cannot litteraly code it. Charge to specific formation was actually in the code (just not used much), shoot at formation is not in the code at all. Only specific thing for shooting in the code is shoot at siege engine and shoot at entity (the thing archer trainer does in the training area).

Back
Top Bottom