Heavy armor should deflect arrows

should heavy armor deflect arrows?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

i didnt know that reducing arrow penetration to a historical realistic percentage would be so disagreeable to many players,

i guess its fine as is if you want archers to be meta,
if the players want that then good for them,
ill just wait for a mod to make armor more realistic while the main branch explores the archer meta,

or till napoleon comes out which is ironically less range orientated

i didnt know that reducing arrow penetration to a historical realistic percentage would be so disagreeable to many players,

i guess its fine as is if you want archers to be meta,
if the players want that then good for them,
ill just wait for a mod to make armor more realistic while the main branch explores the archer meta,

or till napoleon comes out which is ironically less range orientated

Dear Jesus...

Thou hast shifted thy goalposts. Thy original post suggesteth arrows should be deflected - which the good lord should knoweth isn't likely with coats of mail.

The good lord should suggesteth that characters in Bannerlord bring thicker gambesons to the field of battle under coats of mail. Which wouldn't deflect, but rather collect arrows turning men (and women) into hedgehogs, while offering greater chance of heavenly intervention to save the lives of warriors

Dear Jesus...

Thou hast shifted thy goalposts. Thy original post suggesteth arrows should be deflected - which the good lord should knoweth isn't likely with coats of mail.

The good lord should suggesteth that characters in Bannerlord bring thicker gambesons to the field of battle under coats of mail. Which wouldn't deflect, but rather collect arrows turning men (and women) into hedgehogs, while offering greater chance of heavenly intervention to save the lives of warriors
does mail not deflect some arrows?
i thought mail with padding made arrows alot less deadly and was designed to prevent most arrows, except for that long needle like bard that i forget the name of which pierces through the small rings of the mail, from harming the wearer

It's just that the heavy armor we do have in the game are not that strong. This Calradian setting doesn't have plate armor yet, as it's set long before the era of Warband. People are still wearing pretty "bad" armor. Some Battanian units are even topless.

There's also the problem that this is a video game, and playability or fun comes first. If arrows are that useless, people will complain about it. It's already difficult to land a hit with the latency, human's unpredictable movement and shields. Any worse will be unbalanced.

Now, I hate getting arrowed as much as the next guy, and I vastly prefer one on one melee duels whether on foot or horseback, but the base game should be balanced, because it's for everyone.

It's just that the heavy armor we do have in the game are not that strong. This Calradian setting doesn't have plate armor yet, as it's set long before the era of Warband. People are still wearing pretty "bad" armor. Some Battanian units are even topless.

There's also the problem that this is a video game, and playability or fun comes first. If arrows are that useless, people will complain about it. It's already difficult to land a hit with the latency, human's unpredictable movement and shields. Any worse will be unbalanced.

Now, I hate getting arrowed as much as the next guy, and I vastly prefer one on one melee duels whether on foot or horseback, but the base game should be balanced, because it's for everyone.
i thought chain mail was pretty effective with underpadding? am i wrong?
i think playabillity and realism can coexist, mostly, but i think arrows are overpowered and i think an occasional deflection within historically realistic percentages would be a good thing, at least a damage reduction bc arrows are just meta and make the game feel like a shooter, imo

i do think the majority of player would like a debuff of archers

i thought chain mail was pretty effective with underpadding? am i wrong?
It was, but it didn't deflect the arrows. The arrow would stick into it. Depending on the shot, it could still wound the target. Even if it doesn't piece through, the force would still hurt. Bows back then were stronger than modern bows because they were meant to kill either beasts (hunting bows) or armored men (war bows), while modern bows are mostly for target shooting, oftentimes for civilians. They packed a really mean punch.

Archers also generally shot from further away than what we do in a team deathmatch. Again, just saying. I also hate getting shot.

It was, but it didn't deflect the arrows. The arrow would stick into it. Depending on the shot, it could still wound the target. Even if it doesn't piece through, the force would still hurt. Bows back then were stronger than modern bows because they were meant to kill either beasts (hunting bows) or armored men (war bows), while modern bows are mostly for target shooting, oftentimes for civilians. They packed a really mean punch.

Archers also generally shot from further away than what we do in a team deathmatch. Again, just saying. I also hate getting shot.
i haven't done my research just a google, but it does say that chainmail would deflect arrows,

the point it i think arrows either need a damage reduction or arrow deflection percentages need to be a thing(within reason)

this has only become an issue bc taleworlds gave a speed penalty for shields greater then that of warband, so that infantry cannot move effectively against archers

I get that arrows are supposed to be lethal, but there's just no chance you could fire as accurately as you do in-game. I say that as a hobby archer (I'm pretty **** and there's no doubt a lot of pro's that can reliably hit moving targets).

The answer can't be to make the bows less accurate though as that just feels like ****, so there needs to either be balancing done around the damage or in other things such as projectile drop, speed or like the thread itself, armor values.

sebastian-ii.jpg
That face tho. :neutral: I prefer prettier depictions. :oops:
12174168_fullsize.jpg

On topic though. I don't think they should deflect arrows, but heavy armor should definitely have a strong buff against arrows. Historically, I think bent plate armor was kinda good against arrows and that's why they were kept up until the invention of better muskets. I've also heard chainmail would be good but had my doubt since the rings would rather catch and help arrows enter horisontally than brush them aside. Either way, no-one stood a chance against longbowmen.

I get that arrows are supposed to be lethal, but there's just no chance you could fire as accurately as you do in-game. I say that as a hobby archer (I'm pretty **** and there's no doubt a lot of pro's that can reliably hit moving targets).

The answer can't be to make the bows less accurate though as that just feels like ****, so there needs to either be balancing done around the damage or in other things such as projectile drop, speed or like the thread itself, armor values.
i dont see why the targeting crosshairs can't be loosened a little like in single player when your skill level is low on archery,

people should not be robin hood able to hit the same target 200 yards away just bc they dont move their mouse,

im sure it will be unpopular but archers shouldnt be that accurate there should be some inaccuracy similar to the inaccuracy of the muskets in napoleon (although no that bad)

That face tho. :neutral: I prefer prettier depictions. :oops:
12174168_fullsize.jpg

On topic though. I don't think they should deflect arrows, but heavy armor should definitely have a strong buff against arrows.
i dont mean that heavy armor should always deflect arrows, just that there should be a small possibility closest to historical accuracy within reason that they could deflect arrows,

but a general damage debuff should be incoming imo even taleworlds recognizes that archers are op

some evidence of arrows being deflected by chain mail, and even cloth;

some deflection should be in game, arrows being op ruins the melee aspect of bannerlord when everyone is just playing ranged bc the meta of arrow penetration imo

I want All shield inf to be impossible to hit and block all Inc damage 360 degrees around me, if i keep "right click" pressed down! And, inf should run faster than a f16 too!......(being totally sarcastic here)... I Wonder when "only inf playing People" Will stop trying to destroy the balance in cap mode...And stop comparing bl game mechanics with RL!!!!! Grrrr

Last edited:
isn't it weird how there isn't really a maximum range either? The arrows fly straight for way too far and shooting the bow feels similar to shooting a gun in any other game.

Back
Top Bottom