In Progress [1.5.9 beta] 20yo Sandbox Character is weaker then 21yo Campaign Character do to missing final life development "event".

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary:
I was messing around with starting builds in sandbox and something was just off, then I realized I was missing out on 1 attribute and 2 fp because the final choice is just gone. So you would need to choose age 30 afterwards to keep up (minus a few skill points) which 9 years is lot if you start as female char, you need your youth to make the next gen. It also means the apparent 'advantage' of starting older is even less. I don't know if this is a bug or a design choice, but if the latter I would ask it to be reconsidered: Why should the character be made weaker in sand box and only 1 year younger?
How to Reproduce: Start new sandbox game

I agree. The additional free skill and attribute points from starting as an older character don't compensate for the loss of free skill levels the final life choice give you. This means that a character focused around a single skill in sandbox mode will not start with their second perk. For skills like roguery or medicine, which can be hard to level at first, this feels like a penalty.

Summary:
I was messing around with starting builds in sandbox and something was just off, then I realized I was missing out on 1 attribute and 2 fp because the final choice is just gone. So you would need to choose age 30 afterwards to keep up (minus a few skill points) which 9 years is lot if you start as female char, you need your youth to make the next gen. It also means the apparent 'advantage' of starting older is even less. I don't know if this is a bug or a design choice, but if the latter I would ask it to be reconsidered: Why should the character be made weaker in sand box and only 1 year younger?
How to Reproduce: Start new sandbox game
I did read that older characters were supposed to be getting more points now, this may be by design.

Right but there's no point in starting 1 year younger and having your build potential reduced. Basically just a punishments either way (20 less stats, 30 less lifetime) for playing sandbox and not standard.
Would the leveling you can accomplish over a year not offset that reduction in stats? Is it attribute stats that are lower? Attributes do take 5 level ups to increase, so the penalty does seem heavy and very difficult to overcome if that is the case.

Good point about the difference between standard and sandbox. If it applies in sandbox for young characters then campaign mode should be consistent.

Would the leveling you can accomplish over a year not offset that reduction in stats? Is it attribute stats that are lower? Attributes do take 5 level ups to increase, so the penalty does seem heavy and very difficult to overcome if that is the case.
It can not be overcome in anyway because leveling both is progressively harder AND each level up reduces learning rate of all skills, so starting the game with 1 more attribute and 2 FP in skills @ LEVEL 1 is a huge benefit and can't be 'made up' in any way.

The Bonus attributes and FP for starting at age 40 and 50 are basically nullified by any higher skills you reach because of them not benefiting your player/clan as long because you will die sooner. But starting as 30 Yo is just shaving 9 years of you life for not benefit at all, over just stating a normal campaign as a 21yo with all char creation options.

It's just a backhanded punishment for not liking the super exciting "talk to 10 guys" main quest :razz:
I totally agree that it should be consistent so that you start with the same stats in sandbox, if you start at the same age as you would in campaign mode. It needs to be consistent.

Another poorly designed "feature." Good God this company.
The pains of playing an early access game, and in Beta test mode on top of that. You have to be prepared for bugs and design errors.

At least the feedback will hopefully lead to improvements. I am actually impressed by how fast the updates are being provided. TaleWorlds appears to be working very hard on this game and I appreciate their dedication to it.

Back
Top Bottom