Upcoming games you nitpicky ****bags look forward to ***** about in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

I still play Bannerlord Multiplayer. So yeah, I guess I am an optimist.
That was a good one hehe.

and for the context; Lo-Fi games making a sequel for Kenshi, TBD ofc
''The game is set around 1,000 years prior to the original game, though the game world will still be in a post-apocalyptic state during this time period, and they may have only slightly more advanced technology. ''

ANVIL
Persistant world MMO, medieval warfare/city-builder by the creators of Foxhole.
(This is just an engine-test so far, but I have a feeling from all of the positive feedback they are getting that they may transform it into an actual game)

Basically works sort of like Foxhole, where there are two main factions at wars for weeks at a time however this one has a greater emphasis on economy and building up a village from scratch. Imagine Age of Empires but you and other real players make up the individual workers and soldiers.

Their new engine should be capable of holding battles of up to 1000 players in a dense area, as can be seen from their Red River Battle test event they held in 2019. Note that this is just of the engine itself, afaik the Anvil game will operate completely differently and feature no gunpowder (yet?)

Here's some development screenies.
unknown.png

unknown.png

anvil1.gif

unknown.png

Bare in mind it is just an engine-test so far, so anything could happen with it, but regardless looks very cool. There is a closed beta test you can apply for which is aiming to run around April 13th. Join their discord for more development updates.

however this one has a greater emphasis on economy and building up a village from scratch.

Personally I'm kind of meh about this. What made the foxhole beta so much fun was the back and forth between 100 strangers with generic rifles trying to go through a gate or assault a village without getting mowed down. The economic / logistic stuff just feels like filler to me, and makes it more about rust style busywork than topdown tactics. I get that some people like that but it just ruins the one thing that made foxhole so unique imo.

Personally I'm kind of meh about this. What made the foxhole beta so much fun was the back and forth between 100 strangers with generic rifles trying to go through a gate or assault a village without getting mowed down. The economic / logistic stuff just feels like filler to me, and makes it more about rust style busywork than topdown tactics. I get that some people like that but it just ruins the one thing that made foxhole so unique imo.
Fair enough, personally I never played back then but the whole logistics system is what got me interested in the game in the first place. There's definite problems with it all in Foxhole, it's just become a meatgrinder of bunker bases where you can't really employ any tactics because the enemy is always safely inside of trenches or garrisons.

I think the larger scale warfare would work better in a medieval setting as it shouldn't just become an endless flurry of bullets, though they will certainly have to improve the melee combat system for it to become fun.

The hail of bullets was what made foxhole's beta interesting. You would usually be shooting at something you couldn't see, trying to pin enemies down or pre-emptively snipe them coming round a corner. But with mostly melee combat there is none of that, and I can't see any way to avoid it devolving into tiny grindy moshpits rather than the more interesting large scale engagements you get with guns.

The hail of bullets was what made foxhole's beta interesting. You would usually be shooting at something you couldn't see, trying to pin enemies down or pre-emptively snipe them coming round a corner. But with mostly melee combat there is none of that, and I can't see any way to avoid it devolving into tiny grindy moshpits rather than the more interesting large scale engagements you get with guns.
You might be right about the melee mosh-pits, I guess we'll have to see how they implement the combat and the meta around that. As far as I know at the moment it's basically the same as bayonets from Foxhole: click and stab, and in the same janky fashion.

What I do like about the melee aspect is how you can be more mobile, as in Foxhole the frontlines are usually extremely static around trenches and AI buildings, making successful flanking manoeuvres pretty rare. The aiming system does promote staying in formation though, which I like.

Aside from that, it looks like they're going for more of a town-builder here as the current win-conditions are met only through economy (first team to reach 10000 coins or so) with war and raiding as more of a means to an end. I'm not entirely a fan of that but there's still heaps of time for them to flesh that out.

What I do like about the melee aspect is how you can be more mobile, as in Foxhole the frontlines are usually extremely static around trenches and AI buildings, making successful flanking manoeuvres pretty rare. The aiming system does promote staying in formation though, which I like.

Based on what you're saying here I think the beta was very different from the standalone game. There were very few trenches in the beta, almost no vehicles and almost everyone was just stock rifle. I never played the standalone btw.

Based on what you're saying here I think the beta was very different from the standalone game. There were very few trenches in the beta, almost no vehicles and almost everyone was just stock rifle. I never played the standalone btw.
I've heard from veterans that it is extremely different now. From what I've gathered it used to be skirmishes and day-long battles on a single region, where-as now it's one huge war over 22 different, connected regions that can last up to or longer than a month. It's pretty great in my opinion and there's no other game that really achieves what it does in terms of full-scale warfare and logistics.

Saying that, a lot of the veterans have said they miss the old skirmishes but also love the new MMO style, wishing there was a way to have both. The game has become pretty popular since last update, so much so to the point that the game physically can't handle any more players due to engine constraints, but they are looking for solutions to this now.

I agree with Jacob, I played a ton of the alpha when it released and it was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. 90% of the population was basic infantry, logistics still existed with constant supply runs for ammo, medicine, new weapons. There was a big variety of infantry weapons even then but there wasn't this annoying aspect of really convoluted crafting paths and vehicles. Everyone would grind the scrap a bit to get their own personal gear or gear for their group/clan and then join the fighting.

The fighting itself was great and purely infantry focused. I still remember the awesome day my friends and I secured a beachhead over a bridge and painstakingly defended it for several hours before enough player mass from the rest of our team was concentrated to push out and take a small town.

Never ever had I thought someone would do an Italian front. It is still less of a miracle than Tannenberg, but still - Italians in a game!

There must be a story campaign and with the one same mission all over again and again :grin:

Never ever had I thought someone would do an Italian front. It is still less of a miracle than Tannenberg, but still - Italians in a game!

There must be a story campaign and with the one same mission all over again and again :grin:

:smile: Did they finally run out of famous battles?? And why is this on PS5??
The alpine hideouts and tunnels were interesting, but the rest of it was just people running up hills and dying. There was still old barbed wire on some of those barren hills (probably from that period) when I went to see the area.

and for the context; Lo-Fi games making a sequel for Kenshi, TBD ofc
''The game is set around 1,000 years prior to the original game, though the game world will still be in a post-apocalyptic state during this time period, and they may have only slightly more advanced technology. ''
I hope you've said your prayers to Okran

Also this

AoE IV doesn't have a thread?

A few interesting details:
The game will feature narrated documentaries throughout the campaigns, time period-accurate language and music ...
We got to see some of the documentary footage in the Fan Preview event, and it looked like the type of thing that would fit in on Netflix or The History Channel, complete with narration, props, and actors in costume.
... if you’re playing as the English, you probably won’t be able to understand your units at the beginning of the game, as they’ll be speaking a version of English that’s unrecognizable to modern-day players. However, as you progress, you’ll start to understand more and more of what they say as the language evolves toward what we speak today. Similarly, the music starts as a stripped-down score with only a few instruments, evolving throughout the game to be a full orchestra as your civilization advances.

Last edited:
AoE IV doesn't have a thread?

A few interesting details:

Hell yeah dude! I liked the looks of the gameplay there, especially the new siege equipment and walls. The asymmetric factions should be dope, I liked the Mongols mobile-base style.

Comes out Fall this year, which assuming it's US, would be around September-December from a quick google.

As much as I like thpirit of the law, he's a cuck. He's never going to say anything even remotely critical about it because it's age of empires and he would play any game with that label, even if it was boning his wife during the trailer.

Frankly it's disappointing that this is just yet another AoE2 remaster, but this time with the incomprehensible decision to make the landscape look fairly realistic, while the buildings look like something from an idle mobile game, and the units look like untextured prototypes that are 20ft tall compared to the trees and houses. That combined with the le epic cinematic trailer that tries to make it look like total war but with 20 glowing men slapping each other is just ludicrous. Maybe relic forgot to brief their artists that they weren't working on Dawn of War 3 anymore.

I feel like they wanted the precision, unambiguity and scale of the original AoE, but also wanted to make use of 3d dynamic lighting rather than sprites. You can see these two ideas clashing when they zoom out of the town and the trees and grass look great, but the troops are simultaneously too oversimplified and weirdly scaled, while also being too difficult to instantly distinguish due to the dynamic lighting.

I expect to see the word "cartoony" used a lot by reviewers

tries to make it look like total war but with 20 glowing men slapping each other

:lol:

Yeah, I’m not sure what to think, I like the fact that factions would be asymmetrical (mongols migrating their entire town, etc.) but those unit models look hideous. I understand they want weapons to be easily distinguishable but they look like giant inflatable toys rather than actual swords/lances.

Also, what’s up with those weird arrows?

After AoEIII Definitive Edition got rid off overall progression by virtually removing Home City levels, I just don't care. I'l wait for alternate universe to sip into ours and Warlords Battlecry IV becomes reality.

Back
Top Bottom