The game looks much better and crisper when I change from Borderless Fullscreen to Fullscreen and set the resolution manually to the one of my monitor

Users who are viewing this thread

Holy sht, i never thought there would be such a big difference with fulscreen & borderless
I kept my desktop rez over my monitor, so i can tab since i use 50% scaling on a 4k monitor

it does look slightly better, but it could just be placebo affect.

Can someone help me test if this is true?

Hey, uh, I hate to break it to you, but it isn't true. You are experiencing either a placebo effect or you were originally running at a lower resolution.

Here are screenshots directly from the game following your exact steps. Borderless compared to true fullscreen with resolution selected.

There is no difference.

I know TW as a company aren't the most competent and Bannerlord has some hilariously mindblowing problems, but I don't think this is one of them.

Oh, also, LIGHTING AND LIGHTNING ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

Borderless
Fullscreen
xl1jdkz.png
Ct0JySL.png
CwujS4x.png
Ep0eQfV.png
RwjIGQ2.png
kBf3zPc.png
3Ux8xY9.png
YN76Wyd.png

Last edited:
I don't know anymore, now I'm not able to see as much of a difference as I did before, I'm also able to easily switch between borderless and fullscreen without any issues. I do remember specifically that the LIGHTING (as Densetsu writes it with big bold letters, with an underline and eye catching red color because otherwise I wouldn't have spotted it) looked really washed out for some reason, and the settings didn't seem to make much of a difference. If someone could take a screenshot of the interface and in-game before doing the first change to fullscreen, and then one after, that would be great.

Last edited:
I just did that. You're looking at screenshots taken before and after the change to fullscreen. There is no difference.

Just to make sure, I reinstalled Bannerlord completely and deleted all settings for a fresh start. It still made literally no difference.

The difference you're experiencing was either placebo or perhaps a gamma change from borderless to fullscreen specific to your computer.

I just did that. You're looking at screenshots taken before and after the change to fullscreen. There is no difference.

Just to make sure, I reinstalled Bannerlord completely and deleted all settings for a fresh start. It still made literally no difference.

The difference you're experiencing was either placebo or perhaps a gamma change from borderless to fullscreen specific to your computer.

Might be the case. But it's worth to do further testing. So we get to the facts.

I know this is an old thread, but I just want to say - thank you. And hopefully help more people by bringing it to attention.

I don't know for how long I've been playing that way before realising that something's broken. It was definitely broken - even my steam FPS counter appeared enlarged and blurry, as if I was playing in lower resolution.

Adjusting resolution and refresh rate wasn't necessary (I already had desktop resolution set), just switching to Windowed and then to Fullscreen (switching straight to Fullscreen didn't work).

I've been playing on borderless because I like to browse the web during warmup, it hadn't occurred to me to change to full screen for a graphics boost

Always run games at (exclusive) full screen and a native resolution for best performance and picture quality. I thought literally EVERYONE knew that.

Good Lord, what happened to PC-gamers these days?

Both of you misunderstood this topic. It's not that fullscreen offered slightly improved performance or quality (this is expected). Borderless fullscreen is broken and displays the game in much lower resolution, at least in my case.

Borderless fullscreen is broken and displays the game in much lower resolution, at least in my case.
Borderless mode is often problematic in most game engines. There is zero reason to play in borderless mode, unless you are streaming or at work lol

Hey, uh, I hate to break it to you, but it isn't true. You are experiencing either a placebo effect or you were originally running at a lower resolution.

Here are screenshots directly from the game following your exact steps. Borderless compared to true fullscreen with resolution selected.

There is no difference.

I know TW as a company aren't the most competent and Bannerlord has some hilariously mindblowing problems, but I don't think this is one of them.

Oh, also, LIGHTING AND LIGHTNING ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

Borderless
Fullscreen
xl1jdkz.png
Ct0JySL.png
CwujS4x.png
Ep0eQfV.png
RwjIGQ2.png
kBf3zPc.png
3Ux8xY9.png
YN76Wyd.png
delete your account

Borderless mode is often problematic in most game engines. There is zero reason to play in borderless mode, unless you are streaming or at work lol
Or just frequently alt tabbing. I found that alt tabbing from full screen in general is worse for my game stability than simply using borderless fullscreen.

Or just frequently alt tabbing. I found that alt tabbing from full screen in general is worse for my game stability than simply using borderless fullscreen.
Yup. That's the idea. You sacrifice multitasking for performance and image quality (sometimes). Most games won't even alt tab in full screen.
Why would anyone want to alt tab from Bannerlord after 10+1 years of waiting anyway?:mrgreen:

delete your account
So the only guy who decided to do some actual research and post proof should delete his account?

AFAIK, generally borderless full screen compared to full screen shouldn't have a difference in image quality at all. It can have lower performance though, mostly if you are low on VRAM.

However, it's entirely possible that the game has a wrong configuration for some people and that changing the resolution fixes it. IIRC the game had problems saving resolution and refresh rate at some point, maybe that's related.

So the only guy who decided to do some actual research and post proof should delete his account?

AFAIK, generally borderless full screen compared to full screen shouldn't have a difference in image quality at all. It can have lower performance though, mostly if you are low on VRAM.

However, it's entirely possible that the game has a wrong configuration for some people and that changing the resolution fixes it. IIRC the game had problems saving resolution and refresh rate at some point, maybe that's related.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a joke... they must know each other, look at their ranks...

Back
Top Bottom