Yarn of insignificant questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Wut. Do you have a copy of the form? What's its number?

If memory serves I filed this before applying for my green card, so again it might not apply to the lottery. I also think that it was introduced by Trump so it might not have been a thing when you came in.

Hm, this one is for sponsoring a visa, but there is a similar one for sponsoring a green card (I-864). It doesn't say you cant apply for any welfare ever though :smile: It says that if you apply for any means-tested welfare, the sponsor's income/wealth will be considered as yours. So you both have to be broke. I'm quite sure even this expires at the very latest when you become a citizen.

So many immigrants here. :smile:
There is one consideration in this case that is crucial.
You should move to where there is already a significant number of immigrants of your ethnicity. Moving countries means completely losing your support network of extended family, friends, their friends, etc., that you can never rebuild elsewhere to that extent.
A bunch of settled Turkish immigrants is a ready-made support network that would be ready to provide a lot of help with settlement (and crucially: jobs) just because you are of the same tribe. This is super-important.
Even if you were moving alone, and were young, healthy and highly skilled, you need a good start, and your tribe gives you that start. It's just like in prison. From what I hear. Yeah.

From what I am reading you do not need for anyone to sponsor you for the lottery, you do however need to prove that you have enough money/income (in the US). Any relative coming with must be sponsored with the form I-134.

And ok yes when you become a citizen I also think that it gets lifted, but that takes years, and starting out is when things will be tough. I know for a fact that the non US citizen can not apply for food stamps and such, I was told as much during my visa and green card interviews.

Anyway all I am saying is, do not expect any assistance or support of any kind, even for things that one might take for granted in other countries, such as healthcare. The US is a good place to move to if you have money or can make good money once you get there (which requires marketable skills/qualifications/knowing someone who will employ you). Otherwise, better stay clear.

I love it :lol:

Edit: @Calradianın bilgesi , this could come handy if y'all decide to move forward with it.

Keep in mind that what they define as living wage here is something that lets you get by with the barest minimum necessities (so no eating out, ever, nothing that is not absolutely necessary). They explain that a bit better in FAQ 14 here.

In addition to providing the minimal wage to get by they also give a summary of typical salaries and expenses for each area (up to the county level).

Last edited:
Can't remember where I saw it and i'm not about to google "young sex stats", but it's something I've read in multiple places. Anecdotally, almost all my irl friends are unemployed and single, unless their parents somehow have enough money to help them move out.
Is this just since the pandemic?

Edit:
About the trans question I read that historically most trans people were MTF but more recently there's been a growth in FTM trans with a particular rise in autistic girls identifying as men. IIRC I read that on an article that was anti-trans in some way but I have heard something similar from an actual researcher.

Last edited:
Why do so many men want to be women and not the other way around? Is "gender dysphoria" asymmetric?
I have a cynical, uninformed view that some of the "excess" dysphoric men are escaping the traditional responsibilities assigned to males by the society. Maybe they got the impression that women have it easier during their childhood, while males are trashed if they are failed providers.
I'm sure this is proven wrong somewhere, but it makes so much sense to me!
It's possible that you're touching on some kennel of truth but I'd phrase it differently. Not because it's offensive but because the tone gives form.

Someone explained Hegel's master-slave dialectic to me some time ago, I think it sorta applies here.
What it comes down to is that the idea of the self is not merely an intrinsic experience. For example, a slave will never stop feeling like a slave until he's recognized as a freeman by his former master. The idea of the self is both an internal and external experience. It has to be recognized by yourself and by others to feel real.

It's perfectly possible that some men aren't cut to operate according to the expectations that we've constructed as a society of men. And it's important probably to really acknowledge that the relationships, expectations, characteristic, etc. are all really (mostly) constructed. For example, in Greek/Roman times being logical was typical of a knifing, calculating woman. Whereas being emotional was typical of a passionate, caring man. This has been completely reversed and reconstructed since.

Some men want to feel pretty or express themselves along feminine lines. There's nothing wrong with that. But it's much harder to dress pretty (typically female) as a guy than it is to dress cool (typically male) as a girl. That could be part of the explanation.

The really based position is just to be postgender, btw. :xf-cool:

For the record, well-meaning but very white, young guys usually have kinda shallow understandings of progressive causes. Don't let them gaslight you. They can't engage with you in a meaningful way even if they tried.

Last edited:
bizarre snipe aside, that's pretty philosophising and all, but a regrettably shallow understanding of the subject matter.

long debunked and deeply transphobic assumptions like "some men aren't cut to operate according to the expectations" or "Some men want to feel pretty or express themselves along feminine lines" are not, in fact, part of the explanation.

that you don't know what you're talking about is not a me issue. that you reply to someone specifically asking about dysphoric people with "some men aren't cut to operate according to the expectations" or "Some men want to feel pretty or express themselves along feminine lines" is transphobic. contextless dumping of wiki entries does not change that.

and quit flaming.

I'd like to see the arguments for myself.
then i'm sure you're capable of finding them, and don't need me to do the legwork for you. nothing you've said on the matter indicates good faith so you'll excuse me for not wasting my efforts.

I think you are just bluffing with "X is transphobic and debunked". You are just assuming this because in your world anything transphobic is debunked by someone somewhere, or it should be. Therefore the default knee-jerk reaction and the lack of substance behind it.

Inappropriate behavior
Calling people transphobic without the most basic understanding of things and then crying to stop flaming. Actually wth.

The wiki's are a 100% confirmation of everything I've said. We can go over them one by one but you won't because you're too dishonest and spineless.

Also kindly stop sabotaging progressive causes just to call people transphobic.

Why the **** did I get a warning for that? Like I get that you're upset for being called out on your lies but can you not let it influence your modding?

Back
Top Bottom