Resolved 1.5.8 After todays hotfix there is a serious case of black face going on

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
We are aware of this issue sadly our fixes for this one did not work. Please know that we are working on this issue to fix it as soon as possible.
One last thing that remains that you can do on your side is deleting the shader data folder to see if this makes a difference? We are still investigating this issue on our end. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience.
It's okay, you all are trying ya'lls best. We just are excited about playing the game because it never gets old or boring. You all are doing a great job, we will just have to be patient and wait.

Can you try deleting the contents of "C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\Native\TileSets\pages" folders and verifying your game files?
I just tried this and it has fixed the 'black face'/rainbow graphical issues so far. I'll let you know if they return.
Can you open a new thread about this bug also?
Alright, will do now:

Last edited:
We are aware of this issue sadly our fixes for this one did not work. Please know that we are working on this issue to fix it as soon as possible.
One last thing that remains that you can do on your side is deleting the shader data folder to see if this makes a difference? We are still investigating this issue on our end. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience.
I saw this suggestion on a thread from 6+ months ago, so I already tried this.
I also did it again today, no dice.

Mind you, it gets worse and worse to eventually make the whole game get crappy blurry low-res textures. Castles look like lego bricks during a siege.

This is what I mentioned in my earlier comment/rant.
As for fixing it? I tried :
  1. Clearing shader cache @ : C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders
  2. Deleting shader files in Install Dir, followed by "Verify files"

I just tried this and it did not help.

If there's one good thing that's resulted from this, its CYCLOPS!

ktNk1BG.png

What a joke...

Thanks for trying. We don't have any workarounds for this at the moment. Our programmers are working towards a fix for this issue. Sorry for any inconvenience!
Thanks for the update on how it's going MArdA; I know it's not a fair ask but do we have any approximate idea on a timetable for this fix? I'd like to keep playing but this bug is hard to look at and I'm not too keen on rolling back to 1.5.7 just to play again so I'm kinda stuck taking a break from the game until there's a fix. I wanna keep bug-squishing.

Same here... Dudes with lightsabers lookin like Rainbow Brite...
Items are nearly impossible to distinguish, as they are all black blobs. People? Fuhget aboouut it!

Mind you, I run this game with excellent hardware :
  • Win 10 (v. 20H2, build 19042.804)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra (Driver version 461.72)
  • PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 SSD (2nd-ary drive, not OS drive)
  • 32 GB DDR4 RAM
Running the game at :
  • Max gfx settings, except
    • Motion Blur off
    • Film Grain off
    • Bloom off
    • DoF off
  • 4k monitor
  • refresh rate 119Hz
  • frame limit 120fps
  • borderless fullscreen
CHanged stuff above, no difference.

As for fixing it? I tried :
  1. Clearing shader cache @ : C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders
  2. Deleting shader files in Install Dir, followed by "Verify files"
  3. Full uninstall, reboot, reinstall.
  4. No mods
  5. With mods that fix bugs only
  6. With mods that add or edit assets.
Nothing changed the issue. Even modded items appeared glitched out.

This is 100% an issue with the code of the base game, and frankly a bit insane to see happen.
I can load data ABSURDLY fast. Faster than the game can even handle it with 4500MB/s data rate on the SSD and somehow the game cant load a few JPEGs? ...OOPS sorry, they might be TIF or GIF or something else.

Regardless, its a piece of data that needs to be loaded into memory... How is the game lagging when its loading a STATIC IMAGE FROM AN m.2 SSD WITH A DATA RATE OF 4500MB/s?!

That's what pisses me off most. The game is only using like 1/3rd of the available 10GB of memory of my GPU. Literally.. max settings with no DLSS is 3390 MB of 10078 MB. FRACKING USE MORE AND KEEP THAT CRAP IN MEMORY IF YOU CANT RELOAD IT PROPERLY.

I managed to make this issue "take longer before it happends" by yanking out the network cable when I was playing.
I could play about 4hrs in 1 sitting before it happend, instead of 10-15 min or sometimes up to 45-60 min.

So far though in other threads of this and other similar issues with 1.58 they havent had my sucess though :sad: but as I say its worth a shot.

What appears to have worked for me is reverting to the stable version 1.5.7 and then back to the beta 1.5.8.

I was actually intending on playing with 1.5.7 but I was experiencing an issue (probably mod related) where if I clicked 'Next' on the culture selection it would freeze the game so I decided to try to go back to the beta.

I verified the game files twice after reverting to each version to make sure everything was working fine and it downloaded extra files once for each. I've been playing for more than 4 hours and neither the item thumbnail loading bug or the glitched faces have appeared yet. Hope it works for everyone

Edit: Might've been just poor timing for the experiment, there was a small update that fixed it.

Last edited:
There was also a mini-update today, but I see no patch notes for the hotfix...

AFter hotfix today. It seems okay so far on my save, but haven't played much, just loaded up to take a look.

Update....

Had a 4 hour long session... Didn't have any issues with loading, spinning wheels, black faces or distorted graphics (although some of the mini images of units did spot some odd colors here and there that didn't really reflect what they did wear, and some of them was on the darker side, like bearded dark skinned characters did look like have black smudge in the face).

Didn't notice any memory leaks. At least nothing I could spot. With 16gb I had between 5-6gb available at all time, and I don't think the bannerlord launcher went over 2.5gb any time. Had a few siege battles and did partake in some large field battles (1000+ on both sides). It all ran rather smooth. So thumbs up on that one...

My list of "wanderers" is slowly re-populating" as well. (and doesn't reset upon loading save).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom