What's up with hideouts?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'd like to raise a skill balancing issue: Athletics, Two-Handed and Crossbow are most relevant for combat on foot, but for most battles, it makes more sense to fight on horseback.The existence of hideouts are one of the few occasions (along with sieges and arena fights) where being good at fighting on foot is essential. If hideouts were removed, would it still be worth it to pick these skills?

Well, not everyone is as good as you it seems. At the beginning of every campaign these guys are a threat to me. [..]
Yes, i probably forgot that hey can hit pretty hard and be a threat when you are still low level. And because I use my shield during the first part all the time (I allways try to draw the fire on me, respectively my shield) it quite often crumbled under the first hit from the boss :xf-oops:

I'd like to raise a skill balancing issue: Athletics, Two-Handed and Crossbow are most relevant for combat on foot, but for most battles, it makes more sense to fight on horseback.The existence of hideouts are one of the few occasions (along with sieges and arena fights) where being good at fighting on foot is essential. If hideouts were removed, would it still be worth it to pick these skills?
You can allways lose your horse during battle and in sieges I also dismount at some point. Because of this i want my athletic skill to get as high as possible. I see it from the opposite direction. I don´t look at the skills I have to raise to be good in hideots, but at the skills i can raise in hideouts to be good on any other occasion. Not as much for my mainchar but way more for my companions. They usually get more skill levels out of one hideout-attempt, than from one fieldbattle.

But I have to mention that I use the "CharacterReload" mod and in an earlier savegame the "Companion respec" mod, because I don´t like the original skill system at all. With this mods you can make your companions more customized and specialized and it´s way more fun to skill them further.

if you watch your companoins in tournaments they also level their skills. thats the main reason i always attemp them when i have some in my party.

hideouts definitley needs some rework.

Why are hideouts still so weird?

Hideouts have always sucked since they were first added in Warband(?) and they still suck in 2021.

Attack a boring map with boring enemies with a set amount of forces and beat the bandit leader to remove it from the map and get a bit of loot.
This becomes stale after the third time, but the way they are implemented, you basically have to remove them at some point unless you want a swarm of ever-spawning enemies desecrating the economy.

Honestly I'm leaning toward the idea that they should be removed, because they simply don't seem redeemable as a meaningful game mechanic.

Ideally, I think that AI lords should also attack them, but knowing hideouts and how lame they are no matter what is done to them, that is bound to cause issues somehow.

Here is a screenshot:

Pictured: Three hideouts just festering in the corner of the map with literally dozens of sea raider parties swarming the landscape like ants.
This is not including the hideout north that I just defeated, so make it four.

It would be funny if it wasn't such a common sight.

Well another issue in my mind is that within minutes of actually taking the time to clear out a hideout, a new one will spawn anyway and you are right back to the same place you were.

if you watch your companoins in tournaments they also level their skills. thats the main reason i always attemp them when i have some in my party.

hideouts definitley needs some rework.
Yes but in tournaments the xp seem to be reduced to some degree. But I anyway take part at almost every tournament for the same reason : Skilling companions. And for the same reason I constantly provoke gang thugs ?

It´s just a pity that familiy members act different as far as tournaments and thug fights are concerned. For thugh fights, they aren´t available at all, because you can´t gather them in towns like wanderer-companions. And they don´t take part in tournaments either as long as they are just normal party-members. They just take part, when they are in the city on their own like as gouvernor or leader of their own parties. That makes them more difficult to skill.

You guys ever see this "seaside Hideout". I think I took this in1.5.6, it was just a normal searaider hideout but it was named differently
i knew that there can be one because in the early version half year or more ago i just killed sea raiders to push my soldiers xp and the loot is just the best bandits can have.

Here are my issues with hideouts:
1. They don't contain anything unique. No unique items, no unique prisoners.
2. Why can't the player visit hideouts as guests? Build good relationship with the raiders as a by levelling up on Roguery, and visit hideouts to buy unique items, sell underground items for higher margins, recruit Sea Raiders' Chiefs into your army.

Great ideas!

Maybe some of the lords that get captured can be rescued.

But first, I'd like it to be tied more to the state of the fief. My fiefs are generally prosperous and happy. My villages are doing well. Everything is perfect. Yet there are still so many bloody looters. Doesn't make sense imo.

Agreed, hideouts suck giant gorila balls, besides attacking a hideout requires no skill, just run across the same and same map and kill sleeping soldiers that present no challenge and then fight a bandit leader that spawns out of NOWHERE and... Doesn't presents a challenge either. It's a terrible design

For me, hideouts need a total rework. They're just boring, loot is often garbage and areas are very ugly, where you need to walk around to find hidden bandits.
Also you can't just send your troops, because even tier6 units fall down like idiots against a looter with a small rock.

Agreed, hideouts suck giant gorila balls, besides attacking a hideout requires no skill, just run across the same and same map and kill sleeping soldiers that present no challenge and then fight a bandit leader that spawns out of NOWHERE and... Doesn't presents a challenge either. It's a terrible design
Yes it was fun the first few times, it became a nuisance later. Prisoner rescuing missions would be a good addition. But hideouts should definitely be more connected to a bandit main character. A place for recruitment and the blackmarket for loot. There should be an option to take over hide outs by defeating the gangleader. You can own hideouts like a trader owns caravans. A few upgrade options to make the hideouts more defensible and spawn more parties would be welcome. Of course cities and castles with a governor should spawn patrols if there are to many bandits around

Sieges dude.

I agree with your views on hideouts.
After thinking and drawing on the opinions of others, I think the hideouts gameplay can be improved as follows:

1. The hideouts is divided into small hideouts and large hideouts. And in a certain area of the map. The number of small hideouts exceeds a certain range (such as, 3) and this area will generate large hideouts.

2. Bandits in large hideouts will form small bandit families (level 3 or 4). The small bandit families have their own bandit troops, which can conscript in their large hideout, garrison troops in large hideouts, and attack villagers, caravans and stray bandits (bandits and soldiers can be recruited);

3. Small bandit families can be hired by the Lord to accept quests (not joining the faction, but not attacking the employer), such as: burning villages, attacking the Lord's army, etc.

4. The leader of a bandit in a large hideout can be recruited by the king as a Lord, and has evil character, and the king's relationship with the landlords of the continent will decline.

5. Players can build large hideouts after reaching level 3 of their family level, but recruitment of noble soldiers was affected;

6. When looting is too frequent, the player's bandit identity is exposed and the player must dress up to go to town like Mount & Blade Warband;

7. The Lord with high reconnaissance skills, can find hideouts in the patrol, and choose whether to attack according to the relationship and security in nearby cities. Soldiers in hideout can tell the player to rush back to guard their homes,and the gameplay is the same as protecting the village.

赞同你对藏身处的看法,经过思考和借鉴大家的看法,我认为藏身处可以这样改进:
1、藏身处分为小型藏身处和大型藏身处。在地图特定区域,小型藏身处数量超过一定范围(比如:3)会形成大型藏身处;
2、大型藏身处的土匪会形成土匪小家族(3级或者4级),土匪小家族拥有自己的土匪部队,土匪部队可以在自己的大型藏身处征兵,可以在大型藏身处驻军,可以攻击村民、商队和游离的土匪(可以招降土匪和士兵);
3、土匪小家族可以被领主雇佣接受任务(没有加入阵营,但不会攻击雇主),比如:烧村、攻击领主军队等;
4、大型藏身处的土匪首领可以被国王招募为领主,同时具有邪恶的品德,并且国王会和全大陆领主关系下降。
5、玩家在家族等级达到3级后,可以建立大型藏身处,并影响招募贵族士兵;
6、劫掠太频繁后,玩家土匪身份暴露,必须像一代一样乔装打扮进城;
7、侦察技能高的领主,可以在巡逻中发现藏身处,并且可以根据关系和附近城市的治安选择是否攻击。玩家在大型藏身处的手下可以通知玩家赶回去守家,玩法类似保护村庄。

Last edited:
Well my problem with bandits in general is that aside from something to level up on early game, they are pretty useless. I remember in warband, I had to be really careful with bandit parties because it was easy to get your butt kicked even kind of mid game. Now though, as soon as I get maybe 20 men recruited, I rarely have to even worry about them.

On a strict effectiveness basis? No, but it already isn't worth it on that basis.

My main complaint with hideouts is the repetitive maps.... more varied maps with more than one starting position would improve things greatly.

I like the concept of attacking a hideout with a limted party of men, it's just too repetitive as it is.

i said it now so often.

plz make hideouts spawns into some abadoned castles, just damn ruins and let the bandits be there sometimes and let it get as a bandit outpost for yourself you can upgrad with walls and so on.
noone ever gave me good respond to this .. :*(

imo the different types of bandit parties should vary more, should be spawned by specific economic events, and then have a named NPC and spawns with the hideout.

Back
Top Bottom