SP - General The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass [FIX / SUGGESTION]

Users who are viewing this thread

I fiddled with the collision size several patches ago and while I'm not entirely sure, it seemed like there is a discrepancy between allied and enemy collision sizes. When you increase the collision size, your allies are no longer packed like sardines but it also feels like there's a strange bubble that prevents you from getting too close to an enemy agent. I don't know if it might have to do with the pushing mechanics or if agents just have a proportionally larger collision with enemies compared to allies. Also, thanks for the heads up about the mod.

By increasing the capsule of the humanoid agent I have noticed no difference in the distance between the avatar agent and the bot agent. Furthermore, I have tried short handled weapons (like some maces) and I dare say they have the same performance.

Thanks you for coming here to comment...it seems that this topic is not interesting enough ? .

Troops when packed together shouldn't be able to run, just make them hold position or make an animation or stance for them to hold the line. Also, troops in the back keep swinging their weapon without reaching the enemy. I bet fixing these problems will improve the performance as well...

+1...Still an issue after 1.5.1 i think. The attack rate is over the roof!
Also when they turn to hunt the fleeing soldiers with other active enemies around to get hit in the back with swords and arrows

Last edited:
Almost 5 months have passed since this was forwarded to the developers, I think everyone wonder what developers have decided about this @MArdA TaleWorlds, for me its one of the main problems in captain battles and battles in singleplayer, I hope this will not be forgotten and will not be left for the release of the game.

Last edited:
something about collision has definitely changed during this time, although capsule still seems small

EDIT: yeah after watching the trailer video and doing some testing on similar conditions I can conclude that something is still missing

Last edited:
something about collision has definitely changed during this time, although capsule still seems small

Jittering is still a thing, Im concern about it mostly.

Here: Terco's post, you can compare two videos.
Video of the 2016 siege (defence) - roomy capsules and no jitteringbody_capsule radius="0.37 Jitteringbody_capsule radius="0.50 Jittering

Scroll right to see the 3th clip

Last edited:
Capsule size for horses is a problem; humans are actually about right-- it's the friction coefficient (forget what it's called in game) for humans that needs to be tweaked. I doubled the horse capsule (0.4 to 0.8 I think) and increased the friction for humans by a bit and now no one melts through the formation, even cavalry charges get stopped by tight shield wall at a reasonable rate (one or two horses may break through, but most are stopped). BUT-- free formations (F2 F3) are still far more effective than fixed formations in general, which is wrong. This is for a number of reasons not related to collision mechanics (weapon swing selection, not maintaining orientation with adjacent men, not maintaining pace, turning to face horse instead of enemy main body, etc.). If the soldiers would hold strict formation in ranks shield to shield and ignore distractions, keep pace, AND choose appropriate weapon actions (e.g. forward thrust or overhead swing only) I think it would work properly.

Honestly, I don't know if the devs think it's a bug because there hasn't been any official message about it (beyond M.Arda's and his commitment to get the message out); however in my eyes it's a top 1 annoying thing in the game. Bannerlord has bugs and other problems, we're all aware of them; but in my opinion everything concerning the combat system should be high on the TODO/fix list of things and the wild jittering of which agents collapse should have been fixed or its effect mitigated ALREADY. It's not a capsule problem or humanoid collision resistance; I've tried it before... it's obviously something to do with AI ("gap-finding") and IKs.

Back
Top Bottom