I'm not playing anymore until they fix the Rambo meta in Captain MP

Users who are viewing this thread

Aerational

Regular
It's just stupidly unfun. It was unfun when people started it with cavalry but now people are even parking infantry and running their captain over to enemy formations 1 at a time to maximize K/D and also distract troops from shielding arrows/javelins. It's just stupid. The captains life needs to matter much much more or you are only ever going to have this style of play.

I don't think you'll ever really be able to make the AI stand up against a good player unless it completely cheats. Having better AI will certainly help but players will always find a way to cheese it.
I don't play much captain myself but wouldn't it be best to only have one respawn as a captain? Maybe three or so, but then the most efficient way would still be to rambo the first two deaths.

Let's not forget that archers are still sorta OP/annoying as ****... It'll resurface once the heat is off cavalry. Maybe it's just that infantry itself needs to be buffed heavily but I still think the mechanics are too stacked against them as is.

But this has nothing to do with the topic at hand really.

Let's not forget that archers are still sorta OP/annoying as ****... It'll resurface once the heat is off cavalry. Maybe it's just that infantry itself needs to be buffed heavily but I still think the mechanics are too stacked against them as is.

But this has nothing to do with the topic at hand really.
I assume you're talking Skirmish, archers are still a little weak overall in Captain and take a lot of coordination, or a very disorganized opposing team, to be effective. I'm hoping once Perks get split they can nerf Skirmish archers without us going back to the 2h/Deathstick meta in Captain mode.

My current pet mitigation concept for Solocav is to increase "respawn" time according to how far away you are from your nearest troop. Not a full solution, but would at least give some negatives to playing solo in Captain and give players who use their squad effectively a bit more chance to influence the battlefield.

My current pet mitigation concept for Solocav is to increase "respawn" time according to how far away you are from your nearest troop. Not a full solution, but would at least give some negatives to playing solo in Captain and give players who use their squad effectively a bit more chance to influence the battlefield.
That is pretty great or a troop morale system, where you get deserters once your troop morale reached 0. Maybe morale loss is mitigated if you troops are actively fighting so you can make solo captain runs for the flag while the fight is happening

I don't think you'll ever really be able to make the AI stand up against a good player unless it completely cheats. Having better AI will certainly help but players will always find a way to cheese it.
I don't play much captain myself but wouldn't it be best to only have one respawn as a captain? Maybe three or so, but then the most efficient way would still be to rambo the first two deaths.
Yeah this is what I'm saying. Dead Captain should mean 1 or all of the following; morale loss, respawn timer, and limited lives. Those three things would change the entire meta of Captain mode. The Captain needs to be something players don't just willingly throw away.

There are DEFINITELY some things they could do with the AI to improve it, though. Like not letting more than 2 troops lock onto an enemy unit at a time... so the Captain can't just lead all your troops away from a fight in a conga line as he runs away and spinny chops them down 1 by 1 with a glaive.

It's also just slow... the AI troops do not move at full speed, captains of the same unit type are much faster. Their decision making is slow, between striking or block they often drop their hands completely and just sorta stand there.

There are DEFINITELY some things they could do with the AI to improve it, though. Like not letting more than 2 troops lock onto an enemy unit at a time... so the Captain can't just lead all your troops away from a fight in a conga line as he runs away and spinny chops them down 1 by 1 with a glaive.

The only consideration for this would be that it should be only when the ai is chasing a captain the number of chases max out, not when ai is chasing ai. Eg. When you have archers left and a handful of infantry are chasing them down and you decide to put hold fire on and charge your archers in, you want them to swamp the infantry 3 or 4 v1 at a time with numbers to ensure the win, not septate out into 2v1s they might lose. Besides that it would probably be a good change

I assume you're talking Skirmish, archers are still a little weak overall in Captain and take a lot of coordination, or a very disorganized opposing team, to be effective. I'm hoping once Perks get split they can nerf Skirmish archers without us going back to the 2h/Deathstick meta in Captain mode.

Yeah I wouldn't have a clue what to say about the captain balance, but I think everything should be balanced as if it was in the players hands first, and then in theory it can be balanced for captain via the AI. Though I do believe there will be a split balance between Skirmish and Captain eventually which should solve this issue regardless :smile:

The ai could compete actually..
Play warband captain mod, u cant kill ai easily because they are very aggressive and fast.

Banner-lord ai is not aggressive and very defensive and just waiting for u to kill them

Changing the meta away from rambo cav in captain would require TW to actually balance skirmish and captain differently, which won’t happen. Cav AI in captain is beyond weak. Playing khuzait will always require good Rambo cav play for a time in each match before potentially needing to bring the entire unit through to cycle charge or dismount and attack the final point near the end of the round. An endless amount of complaining by various players, especially noted trolls like Aerational, will not change this. There are many counters that exist to Rambo cav play in game that just require practice and logical thought, yet this is too difficult for some people.

Rambo is a problem.

Troops should auto "Follow Me" when the captain is a certain distance away from them. However, this wouldn't override the "charge" command.

Problem solved.

The ai could compete actually..
Play warband captain mod, u cant kill ai easily because they are very aggressive and fast.

Banner-lord ai is not aggressive and very defensive and just waiting for u to kill them
Yeah man they will literally just drop there hands and stand there staring into your soul for long periods of time. If they are fighting there should never be a gap between attacking and blocking. They should always have their guard up.

What up your bumhole
I think it is my lance. It happens sometimes when you use it couched. Attack goes deep into their soul. Same problem was in Warband too. Not sure if they ever fixed it. Maybe captains should lose command if they go too far from their unit. I think that would fix rambo style.

having more player interactions in captain mode is a good thing,
i think adding players ability to spawn in other peoples units can be more interesting, with a boundary rule that if players joining another players unit tries to go outside a certain boundary or attack their own units etc ai takes over again

i think captain mode should be about mostly players fighting other players with a troop to take spawns from (on a small battle scale, the bigger the battle the more actual ai management should matter)
cav parking is annoying to play against, but it is more the ai s inability to effectively fight against players rather then what the player is doing himself

i think adding players ability to spawn in other peoples units can be more interesting, with a boundary rule that if players joining another players unit tries to go outside a certain boundary or attack their own units etc ai takes over again
  • That would give trolls more ways to troll.
  • In competitive games one person would go cavalry and the rest infantry. The infantry players would kill each other at the start of the round to spawn in as one of the cavalry. That would be a OP strat that would be abused every round.

Yeah this is what I'm saying. Dead Captain should mean 1 or all of the following; morale loss, respawn timer, and limited lives. Those three things would change the entire meta of Captain mode. The Captain needs to be something players don't just willingly throw away.

It's also just slow... the AI troops do not move at full speed, captains of the same unit type are much faster. Their decision making is slow, between striking or block they often drop their hands completely and just sorta stand there.
I like those ideas, we need this ASAP or captain mode will die soon

Back
Top Bottom