Still havent defended a single castle siege yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

On the one hand, I'd love to have the rogue disguise logic to be used to sneak in to help defend a castle.

On the other hand, no matter how high, it wouldn't be the full player army able to sneak in even if that is done. I can see why the current implementation of breaking a siege to reinforce will indeed result in losses. Compared to warband the siege defense drops a ton.The blasted RNG of what is lost that always bites worst for me. However I can't say if it is rather siege defense is seen too little or rather previously it was too easy to aid in it.

Being able to waltz in without restrictions I don't think best, but I feel a better implementation can be possible.
The Roguery avenue could be a good way to deal with it, actually. High relations with the gang leader notables could offer an option to bribe them to sneak a portion of your army into the town. We can assume these guys are experienced smugglers and have access to tunnels and other secret ways in and out of town. Maybe by default they can only sneak in 40 or 50 guys, but you could invest in perks that would increase the amount.

Maybe by default they can only sneak in 40 or 50 guys, but you could invest in perks that would increase the amount.
Yes that was my line of thinking, a portion could enter. Of course that brings the question, where do the rest go? They have to go somewhere. Dumb path to nearest garrison to wait out? I can see the headaches that can cause lol

Its not that they're smart, its that they have perfect information about the enemy's strength vs. their own. They have much better info then the player does. Even though we can look at the enemy troop roster, our brains aren't very good at calculating the actual strength, so at most we have a very rough estimate of the enemy's actual strength. With big armies you can't even see the whole troop roster so you're essentially going in blind. The AI on the other hand just sees a number that they compare against their own number and get a pretty accurate assessment of the relative strengths. I think they should add a fuzziness to the AI's knowledge so that instead of seeing exact strength numbers, they see it as a range and then they can make mistakes by sometimes attacking a stronger force or running from a weaker one
Mex gave them a lot of fuzziness when the player is involved. They literally only take into account half of the players strength, which will soon if not already in one of the recent hotfixes will be 1/3 of the players strength. I honestly think most people here got stung by it in previous patches and haven't been attempting to defend sieges recently with all the adjustments. I implore you all to start to try it out in the next patch when we know the new adjustments have been made.

2nd time posting this in this thread.
Additional info : Currently player is counted as half strength already we added it 1.5.x to allow player to experience siege defence but it seems this was not enough. So if there is 200 men player party inside a settlement AI already count player party as 100 men (50% rule). When player enters a settlement attacker / defender ratio changes and AI usually give up. Sometimes they do not give up. However normally AI do not siege if they have no good ratio than 3x normally, because they cannot start a siege which they cannot win on paper (simulations have 3-4x defender advantage). So lets assume you are inside a castle with 200 garrison and if your party is 200 men also attacker AI should be at least 900 men to attack - actually strength ratio is important, so your troop tiers is important but I am simplifying.

However real problem is you think 200 garrison + 200 player party as defenders vs 600 attackers is good ratio for attackers however simulations are not working like this. In missions there is nearly no defensive advantage currently they are like field battle (biggest negative of Bannerlord imo, should be solved asap but not my part) but when Bannerlord is finished there should be at least 2X defensive advantage at also missions (I do not know how this will be achieved I hope it will be solved). So AI think that they cannot win that siege thats why they are giving up when you enter it or they continue building siege machines outside to reduce this 3-4X defensive advantage (more equipments means worse defensive advantage at similations).

Mex gave them a lot of fuzziness when the player is involved. They literally only take into account half of the players strength, which will soon if not already in one of the recent hotfixes will be 1/3 of the players strength. I honestly think most people here got stung by it in previous patches and haven't been attempting to defend sieges recently with all the adjustments. I implore you all to start to try it out in the next patch when we know the new adjustments have been made.

Yes these are good changes! Happy to try them out. But this doesn’t change the fact that a lot of players would not like to risk a randomised part of their party to enter the settlement, however realistic this is, it is hindering gameplay. For testing purposes I would suggest removing this penalty.

Yes these are good changes! Happy to try them out. But this doesn’t change the fact that a lot of players would not like to risk a randomised part of their party to enter the settlement, however realistic this is, it is hindering gameplay. For testing purposes I would suggest removing this penalty.
It really doesn't hinder gameplay in my personal experience, if anything it turns an obvious choice into one that has consequences and makes you consider if it truly is the right choice (do you have enough for a field battle or do you need the siege defender bonus to win?).

If you prioritize 25% (which can be lowered by the 125 tactic skill) of your troops more than gaining the advantage of defenders, so be it but thats your choice to risk losing the castle. I've had plenty of siege defenses because I value my fiefs much more than 25% of the troops in my roster and the ability to take on armies twice my size. Honestly if some of yall havent played recently, it is extremely fast and easy to recruit and rebuild your ranks these days.

I do have a question for people who claim they have played hundreds of hours with no siege defense. What did you do instead? Just let your castle be taken or did you fight in the field instead to not lose the troops to the break loses? What did you do when the sieging force vastly outnumbered your troops (assuming a field fight would result in a loss)?

It really doesn't hinder gameplay in my personal experience, if anything it turns an obvious choice into one that has consequences and makes you consider if it truly is the right choice (do you have enough for a field battle or do you need the siege defender bonus to win?).

If you prioritize 25% (which can be lowered by the 125 tactic skill) of your troops more than gaining the advantage of defenders, so be it but thats your choice to risk losing the castle. I've had plenty of siege defenses because I value my fiefs much more than 25% of the troops in my roster and the ability to take on armies twice my size. Honestly if some of yall havent played recently, it is extremely fast and easy to recruit and rebuild your ranks these days.

I do have a question for people who claim they have played hundreds of hours with no siege defense. What did you do instead? Just let your castle be taken or did you fight in the field instead to not lose the troops to the break loses? What did you do when the sieging force vastly outnumbered your troops (assuming a field fight would result in a loss)?
The problem isn't necessarily the losing of 25% of your troops it is that it just doesn't make sense to do so. If you wait and allow the enemy to capture the fief you can just as easily without as much risk retake the fief after they leave due to the small amount of troop they leave as a garrison.

Also there is the psychological impact of just throwing away 25% of your troops. It doesn't matter how fast you can recruit more and build back up it is the fact that your losing so many men without any return. I mean in a field battle, a 25% killed because if you break in, they aren't just wounded, they are lost for good, is a pretty significant loss but I would also be taking quite a few enemy with me in the process of losing 25% of my force killed. In a break in, your men just "die" and the enemy takes zero losses in the process. If your breaking in and losing men that means your fighting and if you fighting that means the enemy should be losing me too.

This goes back to my first point, if I am going to suffer 25% killed in battle, I would rather do it re-taking the settlement and taking the 100 or so troop the enemy left as a garrison with me because that garrison actually reduced the number of their army.

Also you have to consider that not everyone plays with full damage on their troops. For someone who doesn't like I often do, a 25% killed causality rate is a pretty stiff price to pay. I would also say this is the same for a person who has a high medicine skill because most of their losses are wounded, not killed even in a large battle so a 25% killed for no gain just doesn't sit well.

I for one would prefer a small field battle being triggered where you must actually engage and overwhelm a portion of the enemy force before being allowed in the castle. Maybe give them field defenses so it would be almost like a mini siege but once you won the battle, if you did, you could enter the castle with your survivors which could be either more or less than 75% of your force and might be mostly wounded even if higher than 75%. At the same time the losses the enemy takes are subtracted from the sieging army. This at least isn't throw away 25% of your army for no reason.

Please excuse my reordering of your post, I did it to more concisely discuss similar points that you made throughout your comments.
The problem isn't necessarily the losing of 25% of your troops it is that it just doesn't make sense to do so. If you wait and allow the enemy to capture the fief you can just as easily without as much risk retake the fief after they leave due to the small amount of troop they leave as a garrison. This goes back to my first point, if I am going to suffer 25% killed in battle, I would rather do it re-taking the settlement and taking the 100 or so troop the enemy left as a garrison with me because that garrison actually reduced the number of their army.
Like I said in my previous post, its given us a choice to make and we happen to come to different conclusions. I see entering a sieged castle as a trap for my enemies and worth the cost to destroy their entire army in that fight with significantly less men then the attackers. You would rather let the enemies army take the fief, letting them lose men in the process and even more men to supply a garrison, and then attack them while they are weak. This is fine and a fair strategy, but I'd argue you probably lost more men in the fiefs militia and garrison then you would have if you sacrificed your troops (if you don't then your strategy is solid).

Also there is the psychological impact of just throwing away 25% of your troops. It doesn't matter how fast you can recruit more and build back up it is the fact that your losing so many men without any return. I mean in a field battle, a 25% killed because if you break in, they aren't just wounded, they are lost for good, is a pretty significant loss but I would also be taking quite a few enemy with me in the process of losing 25% of my force killed. In a break in, your men just "die" and the enemy takes zero losses in the process. If your breaking in and losing men that means your fighting and if you fighting that means the enemy should be losing me too.
Sure if you are of equal strength and able to beat your opponent on the field there is no return, but consider if you can't and you need the defensive bonus from defending. As I said in my example pages earlier my force of 240 men would not be able to fight the army on the field successfully, so sacrificing 60 men was an easy choice for me to make to gain the defender bonus and actually be able to defeat them. My point is there are situations where the advantage outweighs the cost, but obviously there are situations where it doesn't make sense.
Also you have to consider that not everyone plays with full damage on their troops. For someone who doesn't like I often do, a 25% killed causality rate is a pretty stiff price to pay. I would also say this is the same for a person who has a high medicine skill because most of their losses are wounded, not killed even in a large battle so a 25% killed for no gain just doesn't sit well.
This is a fair point, perhaps it should be lowered based on difficulty setting. If your troop is wounded while trying to get inside a fief, they are likely dead from being left outside.
I for one would prefer a small field battle being triggered where you must actually engage and overwhelm a portion of the enemy force before being allowed in the castle. Maybe give them field defenses so it would be almost like a mini siege but once you won the battle, if you did, you could enter the castle with your survivors which could be either more or less than 75% of your force and might be mostly wounded even if higher than 75%. At the same time the losses the enemy takes are subtracted from the sieging army. This at least isn't throw away 25% of your army for no reason.
This would be cool, perhaps it will come after they finish the sally out scenes, but I would not bet on it.

This would be best, but I'm not going to even fancy in my dreams TW can make something like that work.

Something a bit less ambitious not meant to be a equal substitute but imo easier to implement

Take my roguery ability discussed above where units are smuggled. Forget some getting smuggled and wondering what to do with the rest. Instead the "smuggle" brings up the UI you see for hideouts and choosing units. You pick X units to "smuggle" and these units are guaranteed to make it, the rest suffer the % hit as usual. Player gets a bit of control what does or doesn't get hit and thus has some sense of agency and door is open how to use it:
Have all none smuggled units be chaff? go for it.
Roll dice and have a portion non smuggled? great.
Go all in quality wise, attrition be damned? Choice is yours

I wasn't aware of that. That's a good change. I'd love it if they had that kind of fuzziness in all their battles, tbh.

Honestly if some of yall havent played recently, it is extremely fast and easy to recruit and rebuild your ranks these days.
It has never been hard, just harder than Warband's "stack Trainer and wait seven days for Swadian knights."

A combination of both. If I was ever given a castle (?) I'd let it be taken because I mostly don't care. But towns I'd generally fight in the field. If I couldn't take the army in a full-up battle, I'd launch a battle with some throwaway troops and get my kills, then retreat (the non-cheese way; making all my troops retreat first, then running off the map edge before tabbing out) and repeat until the enemy was whittled down enough.

Or I miscalculated and got captured.

In any case, they'd generally abandon the siege after taking serious casualties, which is realistic enough.

I have fought a few siege defenses though -- granted, not recently. But that's because I don't think it is fun to have the scene designer "sitting in my chair" via scripting so much of a siege defense. Without control over my troops, the battle doesn't interest me. I'm sure the fixes work to make the battles actually winnable now.

It has never been hard, just harder than Warband's "stack Trainer and wait seven days for Swadian knights."

A combination of both. If I was ever given a castle (?) I'd let it be taken because I mostly don't care. But towns I'd generally fight in the field. If I couldn't take the army in a full-up battle, I'd launch a battle with some throwaway troops and get my kills, then retreat (the non-cheese way; making all my troops retreat first, then running off the map edge before tabbing out) and repeat until the enemy was whittled down enough.

Or I miscalculated and got captured.

In any case, they'd generally abandon the siege after taking serious casualties, which is realistic enough.
Legit, you raid them until they can't fight and lose the advantage.
I have fought a few siege defenses though -- granted, not recently. But that's because I don't think it is fun to have the scene designer "sitting in my chair" via scripting so much of a siege defense. Without control over my troops, the battle doesn't interest me. I'm sure the fixes work to make the battles actually winnable now.
This should be the focus of peoples issue with the game. I really wish they didnt start the rounds off with a guarenteed railroad. Like have them but let the player select which railroads they want their troops to take and let us size the groups accordingly. Let us have some customization of sieges and take off our training wheels.... please we aren't that stupid and if we are and fail we will learn (fun part of games). (i.e. we need a better pre siege interface that lets us split our troops easier and more efficiently with the ability to give them an assignment)

Its not that they're smart, its that they have perfect information about the enemy's strength vs. their own. They have much better info then the player does. Even though we can look at the enemy troop roster, our brains aren't very good at calculating the actual strength, so at most we have a very rough estimate of the enemy's actual strength. With big armies you can't even see the whole troop roster so you're essentially going in blind. The AI on the other hand just sees a number that they compare against their own number and get a pretty accurate assessment of the relative strengths. I think they should add a fuzziness to the AI's knowledge so that instead of seeing exact strength numbers, they see it as a range and then they can make mistakes by sometimes attacking a stronger force or running from a weaker one

I think a solution like this would be nice. Limit some of the meta gaming that the AI can do.

This at least isn't throw away 25% of your army for no reason.
It's not "no reason" though. There's a very clear reason, as Blood Gryphon has detailed. Whether the cost is reasonable is down to circumstances and the player, but there's definitely a reason.

@mexxico hey I'm noticing that the proportion of cav troops sacrificed to get into a sieged fief seems to be higher than the proportion that cavs make up of armies. For example:

KkmUL.jpg

50Jpa.jpg

Troop TypeOriginal ArmyTroop % of ArmyBreak in Cost% Lost% of Break in CostBreak in Cost if based on Troop %
Infantry
131​
52%​
19​
15%​
41%​
24​
Archers
73​
29%​
12​
16%​
26%​
13​
Cav
49​
19%​
14​
29%​
30%​
9​
Cav Archer
1​
0%​
1​
100%​
2%​
0​
Total
254​
46​
18%​
46​

So you can see in the table above that Cav ended up representing 30% of the breakin cost which ends up being about 29% of the overall cav in the army. My problem with this is that Cav only represent 19% of my army meanwhile Archers are 29% of my army but lose less men then the cavs and only represent 26% of the cost and only 16% of overall archers.

Cav are already hard enough and expensive to get and hold on to, I think people would chose to break in more often if they knew it wouldn't hurt their cav numbers so drastically and unproportionable to amount actually in their army. Let me preface this with no actual knowledge of how its currently calculated, but I think break in cost should better reflect the Troop % in the Army (the last column in the table is what I would have expected).

Mex gave them a lot of fuzziness when the player is involved. They literally only take into account half of the players strength, which will soon if not already in one of the recent hotfixes will be 1/3 of the players strength.
That's not "fuzziness", that's just changing the rules to fit the player. It's an improvement, but it would be better, as said, to have the AI make an evaluation according to a range, with a rather large overlap between "I should keep the siege" and "I should abandon it", so as to add uncertainty and variance to AI choices.

This guy gets it. I sure do miss the personal camp feature from Viking Conquest.
I could see a lot of cool ways to make breaking in a lot more appealing
  • Make breaking in a small unit battle like bandit camp raids. the units you pick are the ones that join you in the siege. if you're skilled enough you lose fewer troops (or none).
  • If you have good standing or pay the owner of the castle a bribe they show you the hidden entrance so you can join without your army.
  • Have a stealth feature that allows sneaking in with high enough roguery skill (but you can't bring any heavy armor or other heavy troops and cavalry).
  • If you break in theres a chance the battle starts immediately with the doors wide open.
personal camps would be a great feature for so many reasons... essentially a stationary party (require a free party slot, a companion and food supplies) -> make this a way to set up ambushes!

This should be the focus of peoples issue with the game. I really wish they didnt start the rounds off with a guarenteed railroad. Like have them but let the player select which railroads they want their troops to take and let us size the groups accordingly. Let us have some customization of sieges and take off our training wheels.... please we aren't that stupid and if we are and fail we will learn (fun part of games). (i.e. we need a better pre siege interface that lets us split our troops easier and more efficiently with the ability to give them an assignment)

Yeah, even something like assigning groups to certain areas -- breaches, ladders, towers or gate -- would do so much to improve the siege assaults.

Today's hotfix have a fix related to this issue, previously they make siege to settlement where player is inside but in most cases they do not start assault, so siege continues for days until besieger parties start starving :
  • Fixed an issue that prevented AI parties from assaulting the castle when the player was in a settlement that was being besieged. (Also in e1.5.7 hotfix.)
You can try and give feedback if after fix things are better or not. Of course still this (AI to siege a settlement which you are already inside) is a rare case. So player will have to break in to settlement in most cases.

@Blood Gryphon I will check the codes selecting sacrified troops probably there is big random factor there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom