Are alliances still on the table or nah?

Users who are viewing this thread

really hope they rework the non-existent diplomacy in the game but i won't hold my breath, there has been no talk about it at all in their recent plans announced and i remember it was off their table when some devs commented about this question in the past.

Still pining for that "Advanced Diplomacy" promise? :smile:
Alliances are OP anyway and you need to suffer more in this game, not less. If they introduce alliances, they will always be against your faction and will last forever.
Let's see if Duh will admit that.
Don't worry, there are no more rounds in my flare gun. Hopefully that ship called "advanced diplomacy" will come by and pick us up from the rowing raft, but my hopes are not beyond dying of dehydration and sunburn :iamamoron: .

I don't see alliances happening since balance is very fragile in this game and snowballing problem can be triggered quite easily.

Two factions would roll over the map like it's 1999.

Maybe some extra diplomatic options in between clans, some trade rights or smth smaller could come in the future.

I don't see alliances happening since balance is very fragile in this game and snowballing problem can be triggered quite easily.

Two factions would roll over the map like it's 1999.

Maybe some extra diplomatic options in between clans, some trade rights or smth smaller could come in the future.
Depends.

Defensive alliances would be good, because then 2 weaker factions can fight together, but they cannot gang up on a faction.

Could you imagine the bugs that would spawn as a result of attempting to implement something like this?
a modder did this in the first month of EA, he ended up droping the mod after some patches but many modders did since every patch broke their code and many weren't playing any more to keep them updated.

It worked wonderfully, even warband's diplomacy mod had alliances that worked perfectly and it was the base of 99% mods out there

Mexxico is leaving TW right?
Yep in about 3 months. He said he had hoped to make it until the game was out of EA but he didn't see that happening so we also know EA is going to be greatly extended beyond what they originally expected.

a modder did this in the first month of EA, he ended up droping the mod after some patches but many modders did since every patch broke their code and many weren't playing any more to keep them updated.

It worked wonderfully, even warband's diplomacy mod had alliances that worked perfectly and it was the base of 99% mods out there

Yeah this is true. I think this is why it is so hard to swallow what seems like a lack of progress by the devs. I mean when a modder can take the existing code and actually add a system like this that actually works within a month, you have to be asking yourself why can't the devs with access to the source code do it even faster.

I also lament what the constant patching is doing to the modding community. Alas, it seems about 80% of the modders have given up on modding at least until the game releases which looks to be another 6 months at least.

Also it is not just the modders that are leaving, players are too. Right now I am stuck. I finally updated to 1.5.7 last night. It took me literally 4 hours to re-download all my mods to get the updated 1.5.7 version, install them, have the game crash making me realize that one or more of them wasn't working, troubleshoot them to figure out what wasn't working, get rid of the mod(s) that apparently no longer worked or had bugs with 1.5.7 and were causing crashes and finally get into the game. Once I spent 4 hours doing that, the game decided to crash 5 minutes in while doing nothing more than hitting the space bar to pause movement, probably due to a bug in one of the mods that I don't have the expertise figure out caused the issue because I literally have no mods I could think of that would cause a crash on the campaign map. I went from a stable modded game to a massive headache that I still haven't resolved after like 6 hours of effort. Not much fun.

Yeah this is true. I think this is why it is so hard to swallow what seems like a lack of progress by the devs. I mean when a modder can take the existing code and actually add a system like this that actually works within a month, you have to be asking yourself why can't the devs with access to the source code do it even faster.

I also lament what the constant patching is doing to the modding community. Alas, it seems about 80% of the modders have given up on modding at least until the game releases which looks to be another 6 months at least.

Also it is not just the modders that are leaving, players are too. Right now I am stuck. I finally updated to 1.5.7 last night. It took me literally 4 hours to re-download all my mods to get the updated 1.5.7 version, install them, have the game crash making me realize that one or more of them wasn't working, troubleshoot them to figure out what wasn't working, get rid of the mod(s) that apparently no longer worked or had bugs with 1.5.7 and were causing crashes and finally get into the game. Once I spent 4 hours doing that, the game decided to crash 5 minutes in while doing nothing more than hitting the space bar to pause movement, probably due to a bug in one of the mods that I don't have the expertise figure out caused the issue because I literally have no mods I could think of that would cause a crash on the campaign map. I went from a stable modded game to a massive headache that I still haven't resolved after like 6 hours of effort. Not much fun.
I'm more or less on the same boat, i tried 1.5.8, it has severe bugs (still) and broke many mods again so i got back to 1.5.7 played for a while after updating all my mods etc then i'm just waiting for updates again and again since release.

The game barely changed since release, it had just some minor additions while the rest was just bug and crash fixes (and more bugs and crashes being introduced)

I tried to jump into multiplayer a bit, takes eternity to find a game, we play it then get disconnected and go back to waiting while it still has many problems, bugs and dubious design choices that i won't even have to mention.

ended up going back to warband while i wait for bannerlord to be improved, playing some singleplayer mods and having tons of fun in the multiplayer that's still amazing even so long past it's golden age.

I'm more or less on the same boat, i tried 1.5.8, it has severe bugs (still) and broke many mods again so i got back to 1.5.7 played for a while after updating all my mods etc then i'm just waiting for updates again and again since release.

The game barely changed since release, it had just some minor additions while the rest was just bug and crash fixes (and more bugs and crashes being introduced)

I tried to jump into multiplayer a bit, takes eternity to find a game, we play it then get disconnected and go back to waiting while it still has many problems, bugs and dubious design choices that i won't even have to mention.

ended up going back to warband while i wait for bannerlord to be improved, playing some singleplayer mods and having tons of fun in the multiplayer that's still amazing even so long past it's golden age.
Yeah I am honestly thinking about going back to Warband myself and load up Nova Aetas. It is pretty much everything I wanted Bannerlord to be but Bannerlord so far hasn't even came close.

The only thing that sucks is that Bannerlords battles are tons better than Warband. The AI might still be a bit dumb but Warband never managed to get anything remotely like formation combat working well even through a mod. Also I can't run 1400 unit battles like I can hear and the graphics are a bit dated.

Yeah I am honestly thinking about going back to Warband myself and load up Nova Aetas. It is pretty much everything I wanted Bannerlord to be but Bannerlord so far hasn't even came close.

The only thing that sucks is that Bannerlords battles are tons better than Warband. The AI might still be a bit dumb but Warband never managed to get anything remotely like formation combat working well even through a mod. Also I can't run 1400 unit battles like I can hear and the graphics are a bit dated.
indeed, warband is better in all except battle size, graphics and battle atmosphere, this part i have to give credit it's wonderful in bannerlord (although the combat is too past paced to my tastes without mods)

Maximum battlesize i can reach in warband is 500 for heavy mods or 700 for Viking Conquest/native, more than that and my pc/the AI melts lol, in bannerlord i run smooth 1000 men battles and they are amazing to see.

Wait what? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?? He seemed like the only reasonable guy around. Can you point me to where this was discussed or why is he leaving?
I think his comment is in the Snowballing thread pinned to the top of the page. It was a few days ago. He specifically stated he was only going to be around for 3-4 more months and also said he had hoped he could stick around until the end of early access but that wasn't going to happen. Of course this means EA sadly will go longer than 3-4 more months if he doesn't think he is going to be around when it ends.

It will be a sad day when he goes. Considering how much he has done and how good he is at working with the community, Taleworlds should be begging him to stay and offering him whatever money it took for him to stick around.

Wait what? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?? He seemed like the only reasonable guy around. Can you point me to where this was discussed or why is he leaving?
Here's the quote:
Unfortunately these are my last 3-4 months here. I will not be here during DLC / expansion steps (i have no info about if there are plans for these) I do not know how many months game will stay more at EA by the way. I decided this about half year ago. I was hoping EA to finish until end of my time here. But it is obvious EA will continue more. I will try to do as much as possible in remaining time at my responsible areas to give you better gameplay experience.
Edit: This isn't the right place to discuss it though.

Because they have to make sure it plays nice with every single thing it touches or else it will break when they patch the game.

Because they have to make sure it plays nice with every single thing it touches or else it will break when they patch the game.
That's exactly what modders have to do as well and they seem to manage it. I could anticipate that alliances would alter the strategic balance and need to be rare and under strict conditions in order not to ruin the game, but that doesn't mean I should stand nervously in front of the code for months and not try to do it. A modder would go for it, a TW dev would ask for permission then be told it's too risky to do this or would say so himself.

That's exactly what modders have to do as well and they seem to manage it.
...? That's not my experience in BL and I don't seem to be alone in having like 90% of my mods break every patch.
edit: including the mod with alliances.
Alas, it seems about 80% of the modders have given up on modding at least until the game releases which looks to be another 6 months at least.

Back
Top Bottom