How big is Calradia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Julio-Claudian

Sergeant Knight
I've been imagining the central Empire/Vlandia/Battania area as being around the size of Anatolia and maybe Thrace, Greece, Armenia. Granted I use Pacemaker to speed up the rate at which time passes so that distances feel greater. But the new regional map system (though I think it will be great) looks as though it'll make the world feel a lot smaller if those entire regions are actually represented in single battle maps of the size we're used to.

So I'm just wondering if there is an official size. Is it closer to Asia Minor or Cyprus?

I think it would've been a more immersive and smarter system if they had just worked out a good way of auto-generating maps. Warband had bad maps sometimes, but noone who played on Polished Landscapes Mod (which was integrated into almost every major mod released) could say they were disappointed.

This will just take them much more time, use up huge dev resources and be at risk of becoming very repetitive if not implemented correctly. Also, it will make the map feel much more smaller, yes.

noone who played on Polished Landscapes Mod (which was integrated into almost every major mod released) could say they were disappointed.
I had some cities broken with this mod. Rodok cities, to be specific. Many were floating in the air or buried under the textures.

Veeerry Very Bigg! (With Russian Accent) You shouldn't really make a comparison to figure out what could be the size of a fictional continent. It's a continent and it must be huge. But travel times between locations has to be much shorter due to gameplay efficiency. Cuz you know, who even wants to play a game that you have to spend %90 percent of your play time on travelling?

Veeerry Very Bigg! (With Russian Accent) You shouldn't really make a comparison to figure out what could be the size of a fictional continent. It's a continent and it must be huge. But travel times between locations has to be much shorter due to gameplay efficiency. Cuz you know, who even wants to play a game that you have to spend %90 percent of your play time on travelling?
Is this some species of sarcasm? lol

I've been imagining the central Empire/Vlandia/Battania area as being around the size of Anatolia and maybe Thrace, Greece, Armenia. Granted I use Pacemaker to speed up the rate at which time passes so that distances feel greater. But the new regional map system (though I think it will be great) looks as though it'll make the world feel a lot smaller if those entire regions are actually represented in single battle maps of the size we're used to.

So I'm just wondering if there is an official size. Is it closer to Asia Minor or Cyprus?
I have never really paid attention to how long it took me to get from one side of the map to the other but I have to guess 5-10 days. So if you consider that an army could march maybe 20 miles a day you looking at an area of about 100-200 miles on a side so maybe the size of Romania or the Czech Republic I would guess.

And as far as the new regional maps, yeah I have the same fears. They appear to be shrinking an area that should be at least 10-15+ square miles in to a map of about maybe 1 square mile. I love the idea in theory but only if the regions were much, much smaller maybe 3 square miles being shrunk to 1 square mile.

Personally I think they wasted a lot of time on this and could have gotten much more mileage out of 50 new maps that just represented the kind of terrain in the area. I mean with this change, they have thrown away all the work they already did on battle maps, basically scraped them in favor of this system and due to how shrunk the regions are going to be, I don't think they gained any immersion by the change plus I think it is just going to make battles in the same area feel repetitive but I will have to reserve full judgement until it is released to us.

It's easy to measure grossly.

A horse traveller can go about 30 miles (40 KM let's say) per day. Factor out the real world health and feeding problems which aren't in this game anyway and you get a formula- days it took you to travel * 40 for your KM distance. Go to 80 if you want to swell the size a bit and count night travelling as actual distance.

So Calradia is about 400 km x 400 km. That's about the size of England (NOT with Scotland attached, but Wales and Cornwall).

I wold suggest distances have been gamified so that the game isn't painful, so direct parallels between travel speeds IRL and in Calradia aren't going to produce a logical answer from a gameplay perspective.

I would estimate that the entire gameplay area is meant to represent an area similar to greater Europe. It is bordered by Pseudo-North Africa, Pseudo-Scandanavia and Pseudo-Central Asia.

As such, I imagine travel times have been accelerated by a rate of over 10 to 1 or thereabouts. 1 day's travel in game probably represents somewhere about 10 days travel in actual RL Europe. So Vlandia - which takes about a day to cross, probably represents an area the size of France, which on horse might take 10 days to cross.

At a guess.

Time is different in Calradia. Don't even start me on the length of the year.

Last edited:
From the angle of region scale, the map is mostly a shrunk version of northern Middle East.

With the whole empire represents today's Turkey's asia to northern Syria, Strugia represents the north across the black sea. In Bannerlord, the place Battalia locates is more like today's Armenia, in a reversed position.

Aserai takes the Mediterranean Sea shoreline of Middle East in, Khuzait then "came" from steppes and deserts across the Caucasian mountains and Caspian sea, with a gab of Persian Plateau between the two factions.

I can't find a reasonable place for Vlandia in the region, I guess just like it's time-travel-ish invader 'from overthesea' nature lol. Actually that feels abit like crusaders..

So the scale on paper is Asia Minor with its surrounding imo.

I think it would've been a more immersive and smarter system if they had just worked out a good way of auto-generating maps. Warband had bad maps sometimes, but noone who played on Polished Landscapes Mod (which was integrated into almost every major mod released) could say they were disappointed.

This will just take them much more time, use up huge dev resources and be at risk of becoming very repetitive if not implemented correctly. Also, it will make the map feel much more smaller, yes.
Couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom