Cavalry wage

Is the current wage for cavalry too low? If so, leave your ideal wage in the comments.

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Seafoodking

Recruit
Throughout history cavalry cost multiple times than an infantry. In terms of experience to train, and the financial investment it requires. I think this might be a solution to balance out Khuzait.

Passive income needs to be buffed first, and more varied ways to make money. I need to be able to manage caravans from the party screen rather than having to chase down companions who were captured in some city on the other side of the world. After that, sure raise the wage for cavalry.

Nope because I have to spend 500+ gold on a horse and 2000-3000+ gold on a Warhorse just to upgrade Cavalry. That is probably a year or two worth of wages just to upgrade them.

Nope because I have to spend 500+ gold on a horse and 2000-3000+ gold on a Warhorse just to upgrade Cavalry. That is probably a year or two worth of wages just to upgrade them.
Where do you buy your horses they are much cheaper than that. Saying that they are still expensive when you are trying to build your cavalry.

I would prefer wages in general to be closer to warband's numbers, bannerlord's wages are too much on the low side to me but i think that cavalry needs to consume more food than normal troops, specially cavalry with warhorses should need grain to feed the horses.

Historically warhorses were like super athletes that needed to be treated like princes and be fed grain to keep top combat performance, they couldn't fight optimally only eating grass like the shorter and sturdier Mongol horses for example.

Last edited:
Passive income needs to be buffed first, and more varied ways to make money. I need to be able to manage caravans from the party screen rather than having to chase down companions who were captured in some city on the other side of the world. After that, sure raise the wage for cavalry.
Agreed, it doesn't make sense that the rags that you loot from the looters worth more than a day of income from your town and villages.

If you up the costs right now they simply won't be worth thier upkeep. Cav AI needs to be fixed first.
That's true, vanilla melee cavalry is a joke. I tried on 1.5.6, 500 banner knights vs 500 sharpshooters on a open plain without any mods on. End up sharpshooters won with 200+ men left.

I fixed the melee cavalries with mods, with Drastic Battle mod, and Realistic Weapon - Spear Balance mod. Now I just wish that the spearmen in are able to dismount cavalries to balance out melee cavalries charge. I think in historical reality or for balancing, pikemen and spearmen are able to dismount cavalries. Cavalries role are to deal massive damage in an instant, and dismounting them should be a counter to them.

...in historical reality...
no complaining about your post but this game is not about historic reality.
in historic medieval reality the most soldiers were just farmers with a weapon and shild.

i read a post from mexicco that right now the normal tier 5 troop is worth around 4 looters and they want to double that amount, when not more.
there will be changes but it takes time because i think they are working on some hard stuff with their 100+ emploees.
you just cant think that 80% of them just fixing bugs and make UI and graphical thinks.

1. There's nothing wrong with income
2. The cavalry costs are, yes, dirt cheap

But it's for the leisure of players to form diverse armies and styles with less prohibitive circumstances than compared to real life, so its completely understandable.

Maybe if they fix them so they hit enemies with weapons and don't die as easily as everything else, then sure they should cost more since you are feeding the horse too (but really it doesn't eat so that's why you should pay more...).

But right now they just a distraction to keep enemy Cav and HA form distracting your ranged units.
All units are bad and don't do their jobs anymore.

I disagree, passive income should stay on the lower side, and battle income should not have a hard cap, and big battles should give more. I remember when passive income was overpowered, I might remember wrong but a caravan would give 600-1000 money. Then the most effective way to gain money was to wait in a town forever because everything else - quests, tournaments, fighting, just wasn't necessary anymore. Cavalry should be more expensive naturally so the player can't easily (without a proper investment) just make an only cavalry party and steamroll everything. Atm archers are better than cavalry, but with more balance cavalry will eventually be more effective and that's when they should also increase the wages

More varied ways to make money will be indeed needed, more activities in general are needed

Did a simple test a week or so ago with the players brother during the tutorial. I gave him the best imperial armor I could find (cheat menu ofc) as well as a pureblood and the full scale cataphract armor. He also had a 1h sword (forget which one) the heavy knights shield and a cataphract lance. Set all of his perks to be as melee cavalry focused as possible and sent him off to fight the groups of 6 raiders while I watched from the sidelines. All 3 times, he managed to charge at best, 4 times before being de-horsed and taken out. He did score some kills, however, with the best being 3/6 raiders dead. Now I'm not going to get into the ridiculousness of how all that armor failed so quickly (that particular horse has been beat to death so many times already, no pun intended) but you're telling me, that a "super heavy" cavalry unit cannot take out 6 guys wearing rags and wielding wooden clubs?

The point I am trying to make with this is that, with the micro management required to keep cavalry alive and the costs of the horses to upgrade them balances out their cheap daily wage. Currently, their only real purpose is to chase off horse archers (which requires even more direct micro management on top of what is already necessary to keep them alive) is balanced by them being so cheap. Until armor gets a drastic balancing pass and heavy cavalry becomes the devastating force that it should be when used properly, they are not worth more than they currently are.

Back
Top Bottom