What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Cancel culture is when you are being ******* in public and people don't like that, so you get fired, but you make many new ******* friends and then you all fight for the right to be assholes.

The profanity filter makes it a little hard to read you.
But it sounds like political workplace issues where people are fired for public opinions. The word 'cancel' is odd, though.

I don't think it has to be workplace related.
I don't like the term "cancel culture" but I think it's really strongly related to the term witch hunt. It's just one group complaining about another thing another person said, does or believes. Mostly with the goal to stop that person from doing what they did.
That's how I would explain it.

Tbh I think the term "cancel culture" is just super problematic in general and negativly connoted. Because as soon as somebody is critisizing me, I can just call them out to be "canceling" me, which in turn is supposed to devalue their opinion.

I guess the tempoary firing of James Gunnfor the Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is commonly seen as a result of "cancel culture"

Cancel culture is when you are being ******* in public and people don't like that, so you get fired, but you make many new ******* friends and then you all fight for the right to be assholes.
Oh no no, cancel culture is when you love workers' rights so much, that you advocate for a corporation's right to fire people for reasons completely unrelated to the performance of their job.

Oh no no, cancel culture is when you love workers' rights so much, that you advocate for a corporation's right to fire people for reasons completely unrelated to the performance of their job.
You don't do any such thing. Corporations fire known assholes out of self-interest.
You, on the other hand, just want your favorite types of assholery to be specially protected.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about when a "celebrity" gets "fired" because she wore an antelbellum debutante dress to a costume party. That's demented in its own right, but I'm talking about when you're a literally who and get fired from an actual job as say a shift manager at Domino's or kicked out of college because you posted a bad word on facebook. Employers should not be allowed to fire people for reasons unrelated to job performance. Simple as.

Cancel culture is this thing where people do things that the general society does not accept, and then suffer consequences from it.

I like to think about it this way: 40 to 60 years ago you would get fired from your job for openly admitting being gay, and you would get in a lot of trouble if you were a black man dating a white woman (or the other way around). Lots of other examples to be had, I am sure y'all can think of many (especially those of us who are older). Nowadays the general society does not see that kind of discrimination acceptable anymore, therefore people who keep practicing it openly lose their jobs. Extend as needed to other types of good old fashioned racism/discrimination towards people with disabilities/what have you.

Funny thing is, the people who cry over cancel culture today would have happily gone along with it in the good old times when being racist was cool.

I'm not talking about when a "celebrity" gets "fired" because she wore an antelbellum debutante dress to a costume party. That's demented in its own right, but I'm talking about when you're a literally who and get fired from an actual job as say a shift manager at Domino's or kicked out of college because you posted a bad word on facebook. Employers should not be allowed to fire people for reasons unrelated to job performance. Simple as.
giphy.gif

Employers should not be allowed to fire people for reasons unrelated to job performance. Simple as.
Imagine having an executive that sometimes like to go on racist tirades on social media. And you are not allowed to get rid of him because that doesn't affect job performance. If an employee embarrasses an employer, they have a right to fire them.
You don't like the consequences, don't do the crime, as Eddie rightly said. This is what the right keeps telling the left over law and order topics, but when the roles are reversed they cry injustice.

Employees judicially have the right to criticise their employers and their workplace without fear of being fired. It's a basic democratic right.
Sadly there are many legal loopholes, so it's not that simple. So, again and again we see anonymous whistleblowers documenting poor working conditions or a hostile/sexist/racist etc. work environment.
As Eddiemccandless pointed out, it wasn't long ago an employer could indiscriminately fire anyone they saw fit.

But I see this cancel culture is more about political views that border hatred/racism/sexism etc. And that relates to the reputation of a business.
That's a good loophole for employers to legally fire people. Any SoMe post that can be considered inappropiate or insulting against someone can then be used to fire someone. Like James Gunn's old sexist tweets (or whatever it was) that got him fired (although later rehired).
Basically a company can have an ethical codex that employees are expected to adhere to, also in their private time if it's in public (like social media), because not doing so will reflect poorly on the company (it's reputation).

... Posting photos that reflect poorly on the employee may also be grounds for dismissal. If a company believes that an employee is poorly representing the company with lude, drunken or otherwise inappropriate pictures or content, an employer may choose to sever the relationship with the employee rather than risk tainting the business’ reputation.

Imagine having an executive that sometimes like to go on racist tirades on social media. And you are not allowed to get rid of him because that doesn't affect job performance. If an employee embarrasses an employer, they have a right to fire them.
You don't like the consequences, don't do the crime, as Eddie rightly said. This is what the right keeps telling the left over law and order topics, but when the roles are reversed they cry injustice.
This happens like what once every 50 years? CEOs stopped saying the n-word etc (in public) long before the current cancel culture wave.

Ignoring Americam where you can basically fire anyone anytime for any reason or without giving one (unless the job is unionized), top level manager positions are usually considered "functions" not "employments" or something to that effect and can be fired willy nilly anyway. That's fine. The CEO is to a large extent a face of the company, just like an actor (who are also almost never technically employees) is.

But this is now massively overflowing and affecting proper employees engaging in quasi-private speech outside of their job that no one would even notice, if some bitter, mentally ill activist didn't waste his life combing through people's facebooks and snitching to mommy dearest, I mean, the teacher, er, the employer. .

Back
Top Bottom