Is there an Asset usage permit?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have a question. Can M&B II Bannerlord assets (model, texture etc ...) be used in M&B Warband? Does Taleworlds allow this? thanks in advance for the answer
Good Forums

Solution
Hello, you're not allowed to use Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord assets in Mount & Blade: Warband as mentioned by Earendil.
I doubt TaleWorlds have ever specified their policy on the subject. You better set the precedent and ask them yourself.

There has been a mod called Warlord which essentially ported Bannerlord factions to Warband multiplayer, but it is very likely that all assets contained therein were redone from scratch. That being said, it was not a theft or an appropriation, but using the works to derive another.

The mod: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/warlord.431934/.

Upvote 0
Probably this is the only official statement related to that kind of questions.
He is ranked as "External Developer" in the old forum (It still exists :grin: ), probably from the Viking Conquest development team. Link to the post in the old forum.
It is for using assets from Viking Conquest. Related part:
License
Usage of the source material falls under the following conditions:
1. Credit Viking Conquest when Viking Conquest Mod/Shader Source is used for non-Viking Conquest mods.
2. Only Viking Conquest Mod/Shader Source may be used in non-Viking Conquest mods. Do not use Viking Conquest binary files such as textures, models, animations, sounds, music, and scenes.
As a rule of thumb, you should ask this. "Does my actions allow people to use part of a game without buying it?"
Can M&B II Bannerlord assets (model, texture etc ...) be used in M&B Warband?
Doing that would violate that rule, but as @Veledentella stated you can always redo those assets from the scrath.

Upvote 0
Hello, you're not allowed to use Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord assets in Mount & Blade: Warband as mentioned by Earendil.
Here comes the official statement :grin:
And are you also against redoing them from scratch?

Upvote 0
You would be better off creating a Warband-themed armory for Bannerlord. At this time it's pointless to mod Warband as barely anyone would see your armors.
Using Warband armors in Bannerlord is also forbidden, and ugly too, so you only take the inspiration from Warband.
You could then go on to create a full conversion Bannerlord mod that recreates Warband with the glorious new engine.

If you insist on making a Warband mod with Bannerlord assets, it's possible to do this in a technically legal way. You simply don't ship any Bannerlord assets with your mod, but instruct the players (who should own Bannerlord for this to work) how to transfer the Bannerlord assets to your Warband mod folders themselves.

Upvote 0
You would be better off creating a Warband-themed armory for Bannerlord. At this time it's pointless to mod Warband as barely anyone would see your armors.
Using Warband armors in Bannerlord is also forbidden, and ugly too, so you only take the inspiration from Warband.
You could then go on to create a full conversion Bannerlord mod that recreates Warband with the glorious new engine.

If you insist on making a Warband mod with Bannerlord assets, it's possible to do this in a technically legal way. You simply don't ship any Bannerlord assets with your mod, but instruct the players (who should own Bannerlord for this to work) how to transfer the Bannerlord assets to your Warband mod folders themselves.
Dejan said "you are not use bannerlord models in warband how is it legal?, if it is legal we can convert A-Pose -> T-Pose and High poly -> Low poly

Upvote 0
You can use Bannerlord models in Warband on your PC at home. You are just not allowed to give these Bannerlord models to others, it doesn't matter if they are converted or original versions.
To be technically legal, you need to make a conversion program that will convert and transfer the assets on the player's PC, as part of your mod installation. It is legal because these are player's assets that the player bought with his copy of Bannerlord and is now using your conversion program to put them somewhere else on his PC.
Taleworlds' legal concern is that you may be giving Bannerlord models to people who don't own Bannerlord, that's why your players must own Bannerlord.

Upvote 0
You can use Bannerlord models in Warband on your PC at home. You are just not allowed to give these Bannerlord models to others, it doesn't matter if they are converted or original versions.
To be technically legal, you need to make a conversion program that will convert and transfer the assets on the player's PC, as part of your mod installation. It is legal because these are player's assets that the player bought with his copy of Bannerlord and is now using your conversion program to put them somewhere else on his PC.
Taleworlds' legal concern is that you may be giving Bannerlord models to people who don't own Bannerlord, that's why your players must own Bannerlord.
I do not understand now, it says bannerlord models cannot be used in Comm.Manager and moderator warband models, it says you need to do it from scratch (Dejan, Earendil), but you say it is available

Upvote 0
Yeah we are going to make bannerlord models from scratch, BTW sorry for two message i couldnt reply
Also, you can ask the creators of Warlord for permission to use their own works.

I agree. Warband is fun to modify, but its time is over if one wants to create a project for it. The playerbase has greatly diminished recently, so not many people would get to see one's shiny new modification. It is better, in my opinion, to stick to existing projects which still attract players and enjoy moderate success despite the shrinking playerbase of Warband.

Not many would go back to Warband with Bannerlord assets, because it would prove to be a step backwards into boredom after a decade of playing only the former game and its reincarnations/ different modules with the same mechanics core. But porting Bannerlord items to Warband is clearly executable in a way MadVader described. The appeal for such a modification might turn out to be scarce, as the nucleus of Warband playerbase that stay with said game cannot move on due to their gear which cannot handle Bannerlord. That being said, they might see no reason to buy Bannerlord only to have a game they cannot run for the sake of playing a mod with Bannerlord assets.
I do not understand now, it says bannerlord models cannot be used in Comm.Manager and moderator warband models, it says you need to do it from scratch (Dejan, Earendil), but you say it is available
A Moderator and a Community Manager pointed out to a principle of the company which had made both games. It stays true, because one cannot use Bannerlord assets in Warband. Reiterating my previous post, you may create the items from scratch and use Bannerlord assets as a point of reference, which are available to behold, but not to port to Warband.

Upvote 0
Also, you can ask the creators of Warlord for permission to use their own works.

I agree. Warband is fun to modify, but its time is over if one wants to create a project for it. The playerbase has greatly diminished recently, so not many people would get to see one's shiny new modification. It is better, in my opinion, to stick to existing projects which still attract players and enjoy moderate success despite the shrinking playerbase of Warband.

Not many would go back to Warband with Bannerlord assets, because it would prove to be a step backwards into boredom after a decade of playing only the former game and its reincarnations/ different modules with the same mechanics core. But porting Bannerlord items to Warband is clearly executable in a way MadVader described. The appeal for such a modification might turn out to be scarce, as the nucleus of Warband playerbase that stay with said game cannot move on due to their gear which cannot handle Bannerlord. That being said, they might see no reason to buy Bannerlord only to have a game they cannot run for the sake of playing a mod with Bannerlord assets.

A Moderator and a Community Manager pointed out to a principle of the company which had made both games. It stays true, because one cannot use Bannerlord assets in Warband. Reiterating my previous post, you may create the items from scratch and use Bannerlord assets as a point of reference, which are available to behold, but not to port to Warband.
We are making armors from scratch

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom