BEAST - Bannerlord Early Access Skirmish Tournament

BEAST is the first Bannerlord Skirmish tournament in Europe.

Quick Overview

Category
Bannerlord
Language
English (UK)
Total members
Total events
Total discussions

[BEAST#4] Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With TW basically agreeing it's a bug, should that round not be awarded to the Khuzait faction in retrospect? Arguably a wrong that can be rightened. I believe the overall win would not be affected so there's no harm in setting things right.

With TW basically agreeing it's a bug, should that round not be awarded to the Khuzait faction in retrospect? Arguably a wrong that can be rightened. I believe the overall win would not be affected so there's no harm in setting things right.
What if the overall win was affected? then what would you do?

Do you think it is OK for the admins to decide the winner is not the team that won in game?

Woudl you take the same view if you were part of the team that did win according to the game?

And if it is so unimportant because the win would not be affected why isn't it so unimportant that it isn't worth asking for?

These are some of the things the admins have to consider, to try to see all sides and to beware of unintended consequences.

I seem to remember a flag on ruins in Warband that was bugged. we didnt adjust scores because of it though, we just played the game as it was and adapted. (Until someone patched it).

Do you think it is OK for the admins to decide the winner is not the team that won in game?

Woudl you take the same view if you were part of the team that did win according to the game?

And if it is so unimportant because the win would not be affected why isn't it so unimportant that it isn't worth asking for?

These are some of the things the admins have to consider, to try to see all sides and to beware of unintended consequences.

I seem to remember a flag on ruins in Warband that was bugged. we didnt adjust scores because of it though, we just played the game as it was and adapted. (Until someone patched it).
Overall that shouldn't matter, you may consider it an additional pro on that side.
It is a bug, everyone agrees, the developers themselves acknowledged it and fix it because of that.
It boils down to "is the game intended to award that round to Team A or Team B" and then give the win to that team respectively.
My only point against changing that would be quite simple: Is there proof? Since we have a recording of the entire match, yes, that is possible. If the circumstances are unclear and the claims cannot be proven, then nothing could be done about. But this case is very clear and easy to correct.

If it was my own team that ended up losing a round or set, but the admin staff could point to the recording and developer statements that "this should not have happened, so we correct it", I would not argue with that. I believe the rational behind that decision is completely legitimate and would be acceptable to everyone. While yes, being on the receiving end of such a decision might be frustrating, blame would fall onto the game. Since the outcome is not largely affected, it would be much less frustrating for the team losing a couple rounds, hence I brought that up.
The idea is to set a precedent, and in ignoring the confirmation that the round should have been awarded differently would set the precedent of "game is broken, deal with it", which is arguably a point of view nobody would willingly subject themselves to.

I remember we replayed a match where the outcome was determined by bugged flag, but this is another case, from what i understand just the win was attributed wrong nothing else.
Just because you willingly let a bug cost you rounds its not something we have to do as well.

So.. What happens if a patch somehow made it directly harmful to your health by playing Bannerlord (crazy I know). Will there be a rule change in the middle of the tournament in response to such an event or will we still be playing our matches while this issue is unresolved?

Let's hope the fix comes today. I believe extending the deadline of this week's fixtures to that of next week (still maintaining that one, so just play both matches by then) could be a temporary fix.
Which works for Div A,B and C, but not Div D.
The ladder system doesn't really offer an elegant solution that still sticks to the Initial time frame.

I believe adjusting sounds helps, but of course WE need the issue fixed asap.
Until then I was told adjusting master and effect sound in game to 10-15% and increasing system Sound instead seems to help.
Haven't tested it myself yet though.

Let's hope the fix comes today. I believe extending the deadline of this week's fixtures to that of next week (still maintaining that one, so just play both matches by then) could be a temporary fix.
Which works for Div A,B and C, but not Div D.
The ladder system doesn't really offer an elegant solution that still sticks to the Initial time frame.

I believe adjusting sounds helps, but of course WE need the issue fixed asap.
Until then I was told adjusting master and effect sound in game to 10-15% and increasing system Sound instead seems to help.
Haven't tested it myself yet though.

Just the fact we have to jump through the hoops to play, we're already jumping over tons of hoops.

After our match over the weekend, I just wanted to come and share some feedback about the divisions.

I think it is important to keep some kind of rookie league separate from this cycle of veterans making new teams tbh. If you want more people to get involved in the scene, having them join the bottom division only to get demolished by long time players isn't a great way to go about it. You could still make it so 'new' teams with a certain proportion of veterans (this could be linked to the number of matches they have played in BEAST previously as an example) start in the lower divisions, but reserve the bottom division as an entry point for teams like ours (TaleWorlds) to play the game alongside teams of a similar skill level without becoming disheartened or frustrated by the clear skill gap between the teams.

After our match over the weekend, I just wanted to come and share some feedback about the divisions.

I think it is important to keep some kind of rookie league separate from this cycle of veterans making new teams tbh. If you want more people to get involved in the scene, having them join the bottom division only to get demolished by long time players isn't a great way to go about it. You could still make it so 'new' teams with a certain proportion of veterans (this could be linked to the number of matches they have played in BEAST previously as an example) start in the lower divisions, but reserve the bottom division as an entry point for teams like ours (TaleWorlds) to play the game alongside teams of a similar skill level without becoming disheartened or frustrated by the clear skill gap between the teams.

Thats the plan atm
when we move to more smaller division we will have the top divs as 6 team RR and the penultimate div as where most teams will enter as a ladder with bucholz. The final div is for new players/casual teams who want a bit of structured play.

We just have to sort out fast promotion for the best of the new teams.

The routine of teams from the last beast going into the next beast in the position they earned will continue.

The whole point is to make the tournament fun for everyone.

Once we have more tools in game for admins I do hope & expect there will also be some KO tourneys.

Yeah I am sorry about the frustrating experience you seem to have had in the last match. As Aeronwen said we have plans to make changes to the system for the next season. Another thing to consider is that the Swiss-Style Ladder with Buchholz that we in use division D is supposed to sort itself. So the longer the tourney runs the the more accurate the matchmaking should get.
I hope that you will enjoy this weeks opponent more :grin:

tldr:
We are awareand have plans but I still hope the matchmaking will improve during the runnings season.

We have some nice ideas for the next season I can't wait to share :grin:

What about adding a preliminary match for new teams against a div B or C clan to see where they would fit the most? Of course the new team could play bad on purpose, but I doubt that would be common since matches are most fun against similar opponents.

TBF I don't think there are enough very new/inexperienced teams to make a separate league for them. In this tourney I count maybe 4 or 5, and that's counting teams connected to experienced players and the literal devs lol. You could argue 1 or 2 Div Cs deserve to be lower but would be unfair to drag them down because some veterans showed up.

More broadly i think the mid-tier - B, C, and upper D - are all closer than far from each other in skill, but I also like the progression of divisions and it's neater to allow people to round robin as much as possible.

If/when new players start trying to join the league a more casual entry point will definitely be needed.

What about adding a preliminary match for new teams against a div B or C clan to see where they would fit the most? Of course the new team could play bad on purpose, but I doubt that would be common since matches are most fun against similar opponents.

There are a couple of issues here:
1. The time. Usually we don't have much time between the end of sign up and the start of the season. If teams have to fix a match it usually takes about a week to settle everything and that's another week the other teams have to wait.

2. I am not invested at all in the Warband scene / WRL. But I am pretty sure there was a case recently where two team were ment to play but neither wanted to win. That said the issue seems to be there, that generally teams don't want to play in higher divisions, while in BEAST teams generally don't want to play in lower divisions. Take it with a grain of salt since, like I said I am not at all part of competetiv Warband.
All I want to point out here is that teams playing bad on purpose might happen happen in Beast aswell. - Now or in the future.

3. There are no free spots. I am really really really reluctant to give free spots to new teams. I know we did that in the past but I don't like to do that ( and I hope with the next season we found a system to avoid doing that.)
So if a new team beats a team from div C it doesn't necessarily mean that we can just add a new to to that divisions. The slots for each division are fixed since they also dictate how long a season runs.
If we have a new team that beats a div C divison team what happens to the loser?
Do they switch places?
Or is the loser demoted by one place in the ladder to make way for the new team? - Because either solution might be unfair.
Teams played for a long time to warm their spots in a division, just pushing then out seems unfair.
And keep in mind that with we are going to have more divisions in the future. So if we demote one team by 1 place in the ranking, every other team below it is also demoted.

TBF I don't think there are enough very new/inexperienced teams to make a separate league for them. In this tourney I count maybe 4 or 5, and that's counting teams connected to experienced players and the literal devs lol. You could argue 1 or 2 Div Cs deserve to be lower but would be unfair to drag them down because some veterans showed up.

More broadly i think the mid-tier - B, C, and upper D - are all closer than far from each other in skill, but I also like the progression of divisions and it's neater to allow people to round robin as much as possible.

If/when new players start trying to join the league a more casual entry point will definitely be needed.

I think it will be easier to estimate when this season ends. Buchholz has it's flaws but I generally believe it works.
So by the end of the season I hope the skill of each team will be represented in the leaderboard.
On top of that I know of two rather new teams that are still looking to join Beast and I hope they will be joining next season.

I think it will be easier to estimate when this season ends. Buchholz has it's flaws but I generally believe it works.
So by the end of the season I hope the skill of each team will be represented in the leaderboard.
On top of that I know of two rather new teams that are still looking to join Beast and I hope they will be joining next season.

It isnt just totally new teams though, some teams are casual and simply dont have time to grind away at improving skill to a top level. Having a place where they can take part in structured play while having fun is important to introducing and maintaintaining players in the competitive community.

This tournament has the aim of bringing new players into competitive play as well as keeping it exciting for more dedicated players. I think we can achieve both.

Ban throwings please... the game got so ridiculous it took all the remaining fun out of it, TW being unable to balance their **** for a year already, we are basically at the start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom