Discussion about cavalry balance and knock downs

Users who are viewing this thread

1. Might be a bit tricky
  2. Already done, not that harsh but coming next patch
  3. Up for discussion
  4. We are looking into getting up animations and when the player can block to make adjustments as required.
  5. We want the knockdown animation durations to be uniform, one of them is exceptionally long right now. The issue is that we can speed them up only so much, they start looking bad when it is too fast. We will record new animations if required but it might take some time.
I believe that sometimes you dont have choice to make things "silly" in the name of good gameplay design. I understand that a armored soldier getting back on his foot in 1.5 seconds will make him seem like hes in speed forwarding mode. This is multiplayer, the environment requires parameters different from Single player in order to make the gameplay good. Please dont stop yourselves from setting up the proper balanced parameters for the sake of realistic animations if you end up in that particular situation.

Good gameplay should overwrite every other issue you have.

cav does feel nerfed. I have to admit I played mostly cav, because it was too easy to be on top of the scoreboard on siege with simply running back and forth as a cav picking unobservant inf. With the newest changes the cav feels alot heavier and it feels more difficult to strik and kill. I really welcome this as it will balance the battles alot. I am not familiar with the cav changes and I believe I did not see them in the changelogs, but I am certain things have changed. I just cant put the finger on it.

Rn cav is fine but only because there's another op thing showed up. It feels like cav just has no space to do it's dirty job. It's still good in certain situations.
I guess there's no reason to discuss cav when there are 200 jareeds in a round and no one is used to this patch yet

cav does feel nerfed. I have to admit I played mostly cav, because it was too easy to be on top of the scoreboard on siege with simply running back and forth as a cav picking unobservant inf. With the newest changes the cav feels alot heavier and it feels more difficult to strik and kill. I really welcome this as it will balance the battles alot. I am not familiar with the cav changes and I believe I did not see them in the changelogs, but I am certain things have changed. I just cant put the finger on it.
Health and armour reduction, its in the patch notes ?

With the new update, cav feels good. The ranged weapons do need a slight reduction as they are a cav counter rn. I think a big fix is fixing hit boxes. Les has a good video of how **** the hitboxes can be in another post. One slight thing I have noticed is it sometimes feels like the velocity of the rider isnt added to spear thrusts. Some times I can do a lot damage with a spear to the rider when they are charging me but sometimes it feels like the damage calculations ignore the riders velocity when they might be turning right after a full charge and i only do 20-30 damage with a spear to the rider or horse. I might be wrong but I feel like something is up with velocity recognition in some instances.

With the new update, cav feels good. The ranged weapons do need a slight reduction as they are a cav counter rn. I think a big fix is fixing hit boxes. Les has a good video of how **** the hitboxes can be in another post. One slight thing I have noticed is it sometimes feels like the velocity of the rider isnt added to spear thrusts. Some times I can do a lot damage with a spear to the rider when they are charging me but sometimes it feels like the damage calculations ignore the riders velocity when they might be turning right after a full charge and i only do 20-30 damage with a spear to the rider or horse. I might be wrong but I feel like something is up with velocity recognition in some instances.

I think non-spear melee weapons still need to be made more effective vs horses. Still takes 8 to 12 1h sword hits to down a god damn horse. All the buffs are oriented toward a type of weapon forced down everyone's throats (Spears and pikes) while the main issue wasnt them. Before the buffs and nerfs these weapons were already effective enough. The main issue is that cav dont get punished when reared in the middle of a crowd of melee infantrymen. A horse getting reared next to heavy infantry should get butchered by swords and axes in a matter of seconds. Getting reared is a fatal mistake that needs to result in the loss of the horse.

Naa. I think combat and damages to horses are good as is now. Cataphracts now take 20 something damages from basic arrows. That is a good standard. I also see rearing a lot now. What needs to happen is if your going cav, very high speed and you suddenly stopped, your ass should be on the floor 40 feet from your horse.

Damage is a little bit better than it was beforehand but a lot of the horses are still too tanky (maybe not to arrows - I could agree with them taking less arrow damage). It's quite easy to rear a horse, but I think the bigger issue is that you can't deal any serious damage to the rider while reared.

Overall though, cavalry are still OP as hell and too readily available in most modes.

Overall though, cavalry are still OP as hell and too readily available in most modes.
+1. I am telling you man. They need to implement rider getting thrown out if something makes the horse full stop at very high speed. That will make cav less viable/inf more effective at dealing with them. We just can't/want to nerf that gameplay to the ground, but add mechanics to effectively, and in a fun manner, counter it.

+1. I am telling you man. They need to implement rider getting thrown out if something makes the horse full stop at very high speed. That will make cav less viable/inf more effective at dealing with them. We just can't/want to nerf that gameplay to the ground, but add mechanics to effectively, and in a fun manner, counter it.
That's true, I think cavalry should generally be a really powerful class (that you should have to work towards - I find it silly that you can just spawn as them round one on Skirmish or after a few kills in TDM) and I have no problem with the amount of damage they produce on a full charge but they really do need to be punishable for making mistakes. A lot of cavalry will still charge a spearman and a lot of the time win, especially if you're some piss weak faction like Sturgia and their short ass spears, where-as in my opinion they should totally fear the spearman and his zone of control and be punished for entering it.

I do like the idea of yours, but it could easily end up annoying or overpowered, and when I de-mount a horse rider it can be annoying that they fly too far to even get a hit in before they stand. But at the end of the day it's not like there's much balance to ruin in the first place.

Light horses arent the problem here mate...
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't armor SUPPOSED TO counter swords/cut damage???(look up lamellar and mail armor, both are used as horse armor in this game)
Maces literally destroy heavy horses, come on bruh you can't expect everything to counter heavy horses in this game, what is the point then?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't armor SUPPOSED TO counter swords/cut damage???(look up lamellar and mail armor, both are used as horse armor in this game)
Maces literally destroy heavy horses, come on bruh you can't expect everything to counter heavy horses in this game, what is the point then?
Gotta agree on this. I think the problem is mostly how 'cheap' heavy cavalry is, considering it gets armoured horse AND lots of armour for character 'only' for 200 gold. Heavy infantry is 160 gold and I find it quite weird that horse is only worth of 40 gold (yes I know heavy infantry is faster etc).

Not really had a chance to play with the new numbers surrounding horse armour and hp but then that wouldn’t change my stance that it doesn’t actually seem to matter what type of 1h weapon you hit the horse with it still seems to do absolutely nothing but 20hp Max.

Back
Top Bottom