Beta Patch Notes e1.5.8

Users who are viewing this thread

'A few'. Last time I checked for this sort of discussion, there was a peak of 17,000 people who had played the game that day (on Steam) - so 20,000? 25,000?. 'A few' testers is never going to replicate that volume and variety of user testing. That's the whole point. Even if they employed 100 testers to sit there just playing the game however they liked, it's a tiny percentage of customer usage. Yes, it would increase the likelihood of catching certain obvious bugs, but still not to a degree that would likely make that significant (or commercially sensible).

Regarding regression testing in IT - a) this is a game - nobody is losing their livelihoods or failing to meet statutory requirements if it doesn't work properly; b) it's in Early Access, not officially released yet.
This "beta" feels more like an exploit to me. And I´m not ok being used as free labor after paying full price for this. Not telling anyone how to handle this but i very much understand people who no longer want to play this beta brench. Sure EA means dealing with bugs and other problems but this reached a level where I simply have no longer fun to play the game.

'A few'. Last time I checked for this sort of discussion, there was a peak of 17,000 people who had played the game that day (on Steam) - so 20,000? 25,000?. 'A few' testers is never going to replicate that volume and variety of user testing. That's the whole point. Even if they employed 100 testers to sit there just playing the game however they liked, it's a tiny percentage of customer usage. Yes, it would increase the likelihood of catching certain obvious bugs, but still not to a degree that would likely make that significant (or commercially sensible).

Regarding regression testing in IT - a) this is a game - nobody is losing their livelihoods or failing to meet statutory requirements if it doesn't work properly; b) it's in Early Access, not officially released yet.
And did those 17000 players report 17000 bugs? :smile:

One professional tester is worth 1000+ customers. Customers often are like monkeys, just pressing stuff without real logic behind it, in these cases its good approach to gather massive amount of data automatically and then do some analysis on the data to find errors.

But its not the same thing. Massive amount of players can help testing stuff like balance and most common crashes, but base functionality should be tested by a real tester anyhow.

Testers should have the tools to simulate a number of playthroughs simultaneously using systematic approach and data based on actual functional requirements.

Anyhow, lets not hijack the thread.

This "beta" feels more like an exploit to me. And I´m not ok being used as free labor after paying full price for this. Not telling anyone how to handle this but i very much understand people who no longer want to play this beta brench. Sure EA means dealing with bugs and other problems but this reached a level where I simply have no longer fun to play the game.
The whole point is that you are not expected to do that. You may decide to play any stable version that was released there before. At least you have very playable stable versions and you can use mods and even do your own mods. This is very playable game even at this point. Making remarks of being free labor beta-tester for paying full price sounds a bit 'dilusional', don't you think ?

Let enthusiasts do it, and safely play 1.5.7 or accept the fact beta might be buggy, simple.

I generally play the beta because it's good to help in identifying bugs/balance issues (and see the new features/quests etc) - but after encountering and reporting a couple of the most significant bugs in 1.5.8, I reverted to 1.5.7 (if your broadband is decent, only takes a few minutes) because I was enjoying that game, and the severity of the bugs meant that further 'testing' wasn't really going to be of much value. For example, the hordes of bandits affecting small areas would mean the economy in that area was going to be messed up, which would affect the wider economy, local prosperity, party recruitment and therefore wars; so everything, basically. There's not much point in play-testing something so clearly messed up, because any observations would be distorted by such a significant bug.

The beta branch is opt-in...
did it sound like I don´t know that? if so, sry. no, i´m just not ejoying 1.5.8. And it´s not like 1.5.7 is bug free and perfectly balanced but that´s fine for now. (in comparison to 1.5.8, 1.5.7 is rock solid, but i guess that goes for a lot of things)

I generally play the beta because it's good to help in identifying bugs/balance issues (and see the new features/quests etc) - but after encountering and reporting a couple of the most significant bugs in 1.5.8, I reverted to 1.5.7 (if your broadband is decent, only takes a few minutes) because I was enjoying that game, and the severity of the bugs meant that further 'testing' wasn't really going to be of much value. For example, the hordes of bandits affecting small areas would mean the economy in that area was going to be messed up, which would affect the wider economy, local prosperity, party recruitment and therefore wars; so everything, basically. There's not much point in play-testing something so clearly messed up, because any observations would be distorted by such a significant bug.
i agree, but there is a fine line between helping and being exploited. and companies tend to do the latter. same goes for modding. sure it´s great if people do so but when companies rely on it and simply act like someone else should fix their mess, thats not good at all (not saying TW is doing so YET). I just don´t feel ok with how they handle the whole "beta patch". But that´s just me. Do as you you please if you are ok with it

It is good that most of the posters here suggest to play 1.5.7 if players prefer a stable version, but I must point out that 1.5.7 has serious graphics performance problems that are more visible for installations on HDD.

Both branches are unplayable for me at the moment.

The funny thing is that with each patch they keep saying that the performance has increased. It might be the case for some but for others, the game became worse.

did it sound like I don´t know that?
Yeah.
It is good that most of the posters here suggest to play 1.5.7 if players prefer a stable version, but I must point out that 1.5.7 has serious graphics performance problems that are more visible for installations on HDD.

The funny thing is that with each patch they keep saying that the performance has increased. It might be the case for some but for others, the game became worse.
You can roll back to 1.5.6. They leave the old versions up on Steam for exactly this reason.

i agree, but there is a fine line between helping and being exploited. and companies tend to do the latter. same goes for modding. sure it´s great if people do so but when companies rely on it and simply act like someone else should fix their mess, thats not good at all (not saying TW is doing so YET). I just don´t feel ok with how they handle the whole "beta patch". But that´s just me. Do as you you please if you are ok with it
I think the 'modders fixing the mess' thing is overplayed. Being relatively new to these forums, there are different players who want quite different things from the game. It's reasonable, I think, that TW provides a base game (that should be a good game in itself) that strikes a balance, and individuals can choose mods that take it in a direction they choose.

Only if you have a weak PC. I honestly haven't had neither of graphical problems on both branches. I guess memory leak is fine if you have 32gb of fast ram and m2 ssd drive.

They just released a hotfix that fixed none of the major bugs. I call a spade a spade. They tried to fix player made weapons being in tournaments 4 times lol. Frankly it's not inspiring work or content.

But complaining about the bug is not going to help the bug gets squashed. The whole point of a beta is not only to find bugs but get specific details to recreate the environment in which it occurs and the rate of occurrence so they can get prioritized or not.
Saying "this **** is buggier than last patch" (hyperbole on my part) is not helping TW or anyone else except you able to rant away. We get it, you don't like the direction of the EA. There are literally hundreds of other topics in the exact same forum for you to express that. If you are interested in changing that, maybe a bit less salt and more relevant details are needed in the thread.

giphy.gif

Only if you have a weak PC. I honestly haven't had neither of graphical problems on both branches. I guess memory leak is fine if you have 32gb of fast ram and m2 ssd drive.
I run it on a weak PC (and a better laptop); 1.5.7 did become very sluggish on the PC, but vastly improved when I moved it over to the SSD. But there is a valid point that there was a marked decline from 1.5.6 to 1.5.7 (load/save menu in particular, but various menus or transitions in general).

It is at least a mid level setup with 16GB ram and GTX1070.

What I wanted to point out was that, it was not like this before. With patches, even on the main branch, the performance can become worse.

Back
Top Bottom