My problem with hideouts

How do you feel about hideouts

• I enjoy them

• I don't care about them/Don't attack hideouts

• I don't like them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Revverie

Despite being aesthetically pleasing, I feel that hideouts are poorly designed.
These hideouts are completely devoid of an internal logic to the bandits that live there, they're poorly guarded, bandits are completely separated one from the other, no one calls an alarm if an attack happens, and you can't even see the prisoners being held in a place because it feels like they don't even bother to hold them in a place. This turns hideouts into a very weird, and repetitive activity because it's basically killing one bandit at the time that presents no threat at all and then their leader spawns out literally -literally- nowhere. Ehh, what's the point of this? Its fun maybe the first time you play it but it's this all you can do with hideouts? A copy from warband but with the addition of leaders?
My suggestion here is to make them an actual hideout where Bandits actually have a brain, since this is a place where they live and they need to protect. Instead of being the player with 10 dudes killing bandits 1 by one while they sleep as if they didn't even think of preventing something like this, make it a place you have to siege, with a bigger amount of people and a bigger difficulty so it doesn't gets stale, think about it as a mini siege, and find a way to force the player to attack with less troops, another thing, the leader shouldn't just spawn out of actual nowhere, make them have a place where they stay that you have to reach so you can confront him. And since we're here, roguery skill could give you the option to sneak behind and kill bandits in their sleep, but only if the roguery skill is present in the party.

In my opinion, hideouts are designed as if this was a game from 10 years ago... Well they're designed as if this was Warband, and this is just... Bad, this is bad, way too simplistic but in a bad way, it takes no effort and no thought to attack a hideout. It deprives the activity from being fun or exciting
Oh, and an example, attacking bandits in Gekokujo actually required you enter a secured place with armed guards, it was more or less the same but damn at least it felt like the bandits had an actual place instead of just a tent

I enjoy them, I don't want them scrapped but they could definitely be reworked. You make some valid points. Should be at least a guarded entrance/gate with an alert, on guard party. Maybe a mechanism to sound the alarm if you don't dispatch them quickly, but I'm not sure if that's feasible.

They are very static. Bandits always spawn in the same locations in the hideout.
Even the music that plays in there is just 1 song that's loops over and over again.
Then if you have low Athletics skill like me, you're so so slow.

Now i just usually take the best men with me, order them to charge and stand around afk at the start.
They will cut them down with no losses on realistic difficulty.
Then i duel the boss for some fun. ?

Overall they are very repetitive and get old very fast.

MAKING HIDEOUTS A SOFTER SIEGE SCENARIO IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD BUT NEVER THOUGHT OF OR HEARD RUMOUR OF.

You are a genius. This could be a hugely needed practice ground before entering siege tactics, at least to familiarize oneself with the basic concepts, much like looters and bandits are safe training for field tactics. Even with a limited party size (though expanded from what it is presently), I think it would be a much more valuable and internally consistent approach than what we have now (though I do like the boss mechanic, and the hideouts are generally pretty).

I usually feel like an a$$ making all caps statements but this seems like such a no-brainer that I can't believe I haven't seen discussed elsewhere, even back in Warband when it would have been just as relevant. Good braining.

hideouts is extra way to lvl my skills n stuff. i do loice lvling n shiet
gad dem i loice lvling more than actualy play dis game

In my opinion, hideouts are designed as if this was a game from 10 years ago... Well they're designed as if this was Warband, and this is just... Bad, this is bad, way too simplistic but in a bad way, it takes no effort and no thought to attack a hideout. It deprives the activity from being fun or exciting
Oh, and an example, attacking bandits in Gekokujo actually required you enter a secured place with armed guards, it was more or less the same but damn at least it felt like the bandits had an actual place instead of just a tent
Imho they're designed that way because TW either lacks imagination or because it's just easier to do it that way or maybe a bit of both. Yeah this is something that could've and should've been addressed but I doubt it's even on TW radar. I feel like if were going to 1 v 1 the leader at the end we should get some kind of nice item drop.

Back
Top Bottom