Be a soldier: a new mode taleworld never has

Users who are viewing this thread

If you're playing as a trader, you're going to have enough money to buy every settlement long before you get to the trade level required to actually do it. After you get 200 trade points you're even earning interest on your daily balance, you're getting insurance payouts for lost workshops and caravans. Trade perks even give you passive reputation points so you don't even need to fight to level up.

The trade tree is one of the most powerful trees once you get far enough down the track. I'd much rather earn daily interest on your account balance and earn passive reputation than be allowed to upgrade bandits or 10% faster melee cavalry.

The only requirement you ever have to fight a battle, is to get your levels up far enough to establish your clan and marry.

Regarding being a soldier... that's all fine if that's what you like. I'm not interested in being a cog in an AI commander's suicide machine.

Ok that wasn't around when I was still playing, maybe I need to reinstall the game. Being a trader was actually my favorite way to play the game.

Now kiss? :wink:

I never play as a horse archer or abuse any other archer cheese (like retreat when running out of arrows).

Also nobody would lose anything if this option would just exist. If you don´t want to be a soldier in an army just don´t use the option, you won´t miss anything so?

I also don´t think that it would be much work for TW to implent it, at least not on the basics level the mods for Warband do it. That would be good enough for me.

It is true that it is not a restricting feature either that forces you to go through it, so in itself that would be a good idea, but when we unfortunately see the few new features added since the EA again that will just be a suggestion ignored like so many others ..

I had to read the entire thing to figure out what are you discussing. People don't even play Bannerlord comes up in Bannerlord forum and shares their opinion if "Serving as an individual in army" should be a thing. I kindly demand to get your *ss back to the Warband forum and don't ever post your opinion about the game you don't even have. We will not give up until we get "Freelancer" gets implemented. It's an easy thing to implement, in Warband a simple modder succeeded it. If an entire TaleWorlds staff fails to implement this then we have tremendous problems.
I don't know why people are against and grunting whenever a player opens a thread about "Serving as a troop" You don't wanna be a soldier? FINE. Then go and be the Emperor, nothing is stopping you but you can't just ignore tremendous amount of people demanding this to get implemented.

To the people who called being a regular troop is waiting simulator: And now you decide how we will have fun, come on!

Last edited:
You don't have the right to decide who has the right to comment, so buzz off with that attitude.
Yes, I have right to decide who has right to comment and it's not definitely players don't even have the Bannerlord.

I haven't even played Bannerlord nor do I intend to, but it's my duty to point out how to play it correctly, as God intended.
Like someone who doesn't even have the game comes up and criticizing "Freelancer" with extreme disparaging behavior. Like who do you think you are? Some stick covered up with a ugly long cloth under your nickname doesn't give you right to comment about a game you don't have.

Last edited:
Good, sit here then and sulk.
Yes, I will sit here and do whatever I want. The reason I'm in this forum to support forum members whenever they make a good suggestion I'm not here to amuse myself with your bizarre humor otherwise I'd go hit Demi Lardner and Jimmy Fallon

Cant believe I missed this thread. I made one on this very topic March last year maybe some of you gentlemen (and women) have seen it. I also did a poll and most people did want it "Freelancer" to be implemented (Either by TW or modders) and also for it to be fleshed out more.

My thread (containing my suggestions if you are curious)

What is described on this thread is definitely akin to the Freelance Mod we had for Warband with a few exceptions such as the credit system. I'm glad to see interest in this feature has not waned and share your desire for it to be developed at some point in time. @FlowDream

As for other people's the concerns about prolonged periods of inactivity the suggestion here of your lord actively giving you quests during that down time - combined with the context dependant scenarios idea I had, can spice things up and reduce such periods.

There's ways to further improve of this feature as well. It will take a competent devteam and some brainstorming but there is certainly ways to build on it.

To those who only see this feature as a detriment to the game:

I disagree very much with that opinion. This feature allows for a natural development of your character into leadership positions in a way that flows well and complements Bannerlords sandbox design.

Hence I personally believe it would serve to enhance the Bannerlord experience as it is very rational (and fun for me) to start off as a grunt, work your way up to an elite soldier, eventually become a captain of an elite squad, then go on to become second in command of the army controlling more units and then at a time of your choosing decide to become a lord controlling you own party. (This is not exactly how Freelancer worked but it is how I would like Freelancer 2.0 to work)

The option of rising to become a leader of men this way as opposed to going to a village and hiring people (which is total fine too) is very much appealing to me. This feature capitalises on the "here you go, now forge your own path" design that TW establishes in the franchise.

It further adds variety for roleplay and character development pathways (how you make a living, interact with the worlds systems to get prestige and power) and fits Bannerlord - a game in which wars and battle have a prominent role. So I must admit I'm surprised by how some feel like its a sacrilegious and improper feature suggestion.

However, I get that people have their own unique perspective on things, different strokes for different folk and so on and so forth. So lets have that mutual respect and not relegate each others views into an undeserved category just because It doesn't interest you personally. :wink:

Cant believe I missed this thread. I made one on this very topic March last year maybe some of you gentlemen (and women) have seen it. I also did a poll and most people did want it "Freelancer" to be implemented (Either by TW or modders) and also for it to be fleshed out more.

My thread (containing my suggestions if you are curious)

What is described on this thread is definitely akin to the Freelance Mod we had for Warband with a few exceptions such as the credit system. I'm glad to see interest in this feature has not waned and share your desire for it to be developed at some point in time. @FlowDream

As for other people's the concerns about prolonged periods of inactivity the suggestion here of your lord actively giving you quests during that down time - combined with the context dependant scenarios idea I had, can spice things up and reduce such periods.

There's ways to further improve of this feature as well. It will take a competent devteam and some brainstorming but there is certainly ways to build on it.

I disagree very much with that opinion. This feature allows for a natural development of your character into leadership positions in a way that flows well and complements Bannerlords sandbox design.

Hence I personally believe it would serve to enhance the Bannerlord experience as it is very rational (and fun for me) to start off as a grunt, work your way up to an elite soldier, eventually become a captain of an elite squad, then go on to become second in command of the army controlling more units and then at a time of your choosing decide to become a lord controlling you own party. (This is not exactly how Freelancer worked but it is how I would like Freelancer 2.0 to work)

The option of rising to become a leader of men this way as opposed to going to a village and hiring people (which is total fine too) is very much appealing to me. This feature capitalises on the "here you go, now forge your own path" design that TW establishes in the franchise.

It further adds variety for roleplay and character development pathways (how you make a living, interact with the worlds systems to get prestige and power) and fits Bannerlord - a game in which wars and battle have a prominent role. So I must admit I'm surprised by how some feel like its a sacrilegious and improper feature suggestion.

However, I get that people have their own unique perspective on things, different strokes for different folk and so on and so forth. So lets have that mutual respect and not relegate each others views into an undeserved category just because It doesn't interest you personally. :wink:
Nice job, agree!:xf-grin:

You are most unwise to call out those pure of gameplay, for they will strike you down like a looter with a rock.
Here's a last offer for you, take it or leave it.
The Freelancer mode is tolerable under two conditions:
- You are not lead hiking or fighting hopeless battles by a braindead lord AI - it's best if the lord that commands you has a special AI that makes him do a variety of things (if possible also steered with your input as you get ranks)
- You should not play as soldier for too long, the Freelancer mode should look like a long tutorial gently introducing you to fighting and the game in general, so you can assume command of your party more naturally, to paraphrase you. So, no design support for playing as Freelancer far into the midgame.

Also, as BG pointed out, you live in a wrong timeline. The parallel universe you want to live in split from this one some time ago.
To keep it short, the current timeline doesn't include this feature but that doesn't mean we won't explore it in the future.

Last edited:
You are most unwise to call out those pure of gameplay, for they will strike you down like a looter with a rock.
Here's a last offer for you, take it or leave it.
The Freelancer mode is tolerable under two conditions:
- You are not lead hiking or fighting hopeless battles by a braindead lord AI - it's best if the lord that commands you has a special AI that makes him do a variety of things (if possible also steered with your input as you get ranks)
- You should not play as soldier for too long, the Freelancer mode should look like a long tutorial gently introducing you to fighting and the game in general, so you can assume command of your party more naturally, to paraphrase you. So, no design support for playing as Freelancer far into the midgame.

Also, as BG pointed out, you live in a wrong timeline. The parallel universe you want to live in split from this one some time ago.
"You are most unwise to call out those pure of gameplay, for they will strike you down like a looter with a rock."

If they wish to make me a martyr, they can do so at their peril. XD

"The Freelancer mode is tolerable under two conditions:
- You are not lead hiking or fighting hopeless battles by a braindead lord AI - it's best if the lord that commands you has a special AI that makes him do a variety of things (if possible also steered with your input as you get ranks)"

This I agree with, I cannot cover everything in my post but I will address these points;

Having improved combat AI that uses appropriate tactics is important to improving the fun and immersion. I am hoping that an AI mod could address this.

Fighting hopeless battles might be inevitable but as in real life the party leader should be doing their utmost to avoid such situations and if you are second in command you should have the option to advise your commander to retreat leaving behind a rear-guard to cover your escape. (they should be able to reject, but when in a hopeless situation they really shouldn't unless under specific circumstances)

I don't know what you mean by lead hiking you will have to explain that to me. XD

"- You should not play as soldier for too long, the Freelancer mode should look like a long tutorial gently introducing you to fighting and the game in general, so you can assume command of your party more naturally, to paraphrase you. So, no design support for playing as Freelancer far into the midgame."

I don't see why a player should not have the option to be a soldier/captain/second in commander of an army for as long as they want. If you cannot tolerate it for long, you would be free to resign just like in the original. If a player wants to be a soldier for a faction till the very moment that faction ceases to exist and then do the same for a different faction - so be it.

"Also, as BG pointed out, you live in a wrong timeline. The parallel universe you want to live in split from this one some time ago."

Its fine, I'm not really expecting TW to do it and even if they did it would likely be barebones. My hopes are really in a competent mod dev team to take it upon themselves to develop an enhanced version that will be more viable long-term compared to its WB predecessor and have a more engaging gameplay loop, addressing those prolonged periods of down time in particular.

Yep. I tried this kind of systems back in Warband and they are all pretty self accomplished already.
But the issue is this way of life never feels organic enough. It does feel more organic compare to like quests, mostly because you are in real battle and live ("live") event. But it is still feels like a separated thing with it's own setting and rules.

A stand point is Player is already a semi Noble from the start. So you are more like a outsider to the "already there ppl" than the meek.

Yep. I tried this kind of systems back in Warband and they are all pretty self accomplished already.
But the issue is this way of life never feels organic enough. It does feel more organic compare to like quests, mostly because you are in real battle and live ("live") event. But it is still feels like a separated thing with it's own setting and rules.

A stand point is Player is already a semi Noble from the start. So you are more like a outsider to the "already there ppl" than the meek.
In Bannerlord just like in warband you don't have to start as a noble - I believe the reason you get a family name and crest regardless of choice is because of the story, apparently to make it easier for your siblings to find you (that's the logic behind it). It doesn't actually mean you are truly a noble, if lets say you picked farmer upbringing - the game just kind of skims over the technicalities. Granted at some point you will accumulate enough wealth and prestige and influence to be considered a noble but again the game is not like "Hey congrats you are technically an noble now even though you used to be a farmer".

To address your other point.

A low ranking soldiers life is different from a high-ranking/leaders. You don't choose the battles to fight they do. You don't decide when to fight or where to go they do. In Calradia all soldiers receive standard set of equipment so you should be expected to don and use the equipment befitting your role in the army. (this was not done right in freelancer, you could be an archer yet enter battle without the weapons you are expected to have)

This is certainly restrictive but that's the whole point though, to be a cog in a machine that you don't steer. But I believe it should also allow the player to have unique soldier contextual interactions with other characters and the world at large, this is a something warband freelancer didn't do well.

Since a soldier (the setting) has to follow military conventions (rules) these limitation makes sense, I don't understand why you would want to be treated special.

Until you became a vice commander, then you should get more influence and commanding privileges.

Granted vice-commander is not a role in the warband freelancer but it is a personal idea of mine - allowing the player to be a hybrid between having absolute control of the party and having none whatsoever outwith influence in battles. You should check out my thread if you still don't think its possible (at least in theory) to make freelancer feel more organic, hopefully it would change your mind.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/bannerlord-2-freelancer-overhaul.394951/

So anyways, my point is - there are things that can be done to give you more freedom, but of course that means that a copy and paste of warband freelancer wont do. I can agree that freelancer needs work, but that in my mind that doesn't mean that the concept should be ignored/scrapped, it needs improvement. I don't want people to give up on it, and allow it to fade into obscurity, because if nobody asks for specifically what could be improved chances are that at best we get a copy/paste.

Since its already established TW is not planning to implement this feature, my hope is that modders who work on the "Bannerlord Freelancer" will not just copy and past the old formula, but rather improve it because there are definite problems with it.

I'm not really sure if I addressed your points satisfactorily, so if not extrapolate them for me so I can address them better. :grin:

In Bannerlord just like in warband you don't have to start as a noble - I believe the reason you get a family name and crest regardless of choice is because of the story, apparently to make it easier for your siblings to find you (that's the logic behind it). It doesn't actually mean you are truly a noble, if lets say you picked farmer upbringing - the game just kind of skims over the technicalities. Granted at some point you will accumulate enough wealth and prestige and influence to be considered a noble but again the game is not like "Hey congrats you are technically an noble now even though you used to be a farmer".

To address your other point.

A low ranking soldiers life is different from a high-ranking/leaders. You don't choose the battles to fight they do. You don't decide when to fight or where to go they do. In Calradia all soldiers receive standard set of equipment so you should be expected to don and use the equipment befitting your role in the army. (this was not done right in freelancer, you could be an archer yet enter battle without the weapons you are expected to have)

This is certainly restrictive but that's the whole point though, to be a cog in a machine that you don't steer. But I believe it should also allow the player to have unique soldier contextual interactions with other characters and the world at large, this is a something warband freelancer didn't do well.

Since a soldier (the setting) has to follow military conventions (rules) these limitation makes sense, I don't understand why you would want to be treated special.

Until you became a vice commander, then you should get more influence and commanding privileges.

Granted vice-commander is not a role in the warband freelancer but it is a personal idea of mine - allowing the player to be a hybrid between having absolute control of the party and having none whatsoever outwith influence in battles. You should check out my thread if you still don't think its possible (at least in theory) to make freelancer feel more organic, hopefully it would change your mind.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/bannerlord-2-freelancer-overhaul.394951/

So anyways, my point is - there are things that can be done to give you more freedom, but of course that means that a copy and paste of warband freelancer wont do. I can agree that freelancer needs work, but that in my mind that doesn't mean that the concept should be ignored/scrapped, it needs improvement. I don't want people to give up on it, and allow it to fade into obscurity, because if nobody asks for specifically what could be improved chances are that at best we get a copy/paste.

Since its already established TW is not planning to implement this feature, my hope is that modders who work on the "Bannerlord Freelancer" will not just copy and past the old formula, but rather improve it because there are definite problems with it.

I'm not really sure if I addressed your points satisfactorily, so if not extrapolate them for me so I can address them better. :grin:
That's very fair presented I think. A thing related to this is the sort of liner progression of the game, you get in you grabbing power, and you obtained power, becoming powerful. It's abit too simple only a journey to power imo.

They already established that? Well I am kinda hijacking the topic, it might just be in this thread. Sorry for that, just trying to throw some rough bricks.

One thing I like about this kind of way of life is that it provides another option and make you feel more in the game, as you are standing close to the fundamentals of the world. It feels like a good idea without good applications. Like if only as a early game option then sure it feels like not a necessity.

Back
Top Bottom