Which Faction Needs the Most Love and Work?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Since the mood in here is kind of a mix of confusion, dark frustration, sadness and anger... I thought, what the hell ! why not add to it? ?

So which of the factions do you think is definitely the least inspiring in terms of culture, lore, territory and units.... (and why?) and actually..... to be a little bit constructive.... what could and should be done to make them better and stronger?

Who knows, maybe we can make this a good thread after all !

Last edited:
The Empire & Vlandia

Since they started messing with the units, they screwed up many things, war gear, strenght... I think the Empire since the begging and Vlandia where the factions that were perfect to play with

I think the worst is the Empire. Their three kingdoms act like separated factions, but they're almost the same in everything. I wish they were more different in aesthetics and military.
Yes, firmly agreed. I also wish they looked less Roman.

I feel it doesn't fit in Mount and Blade which I have always thought should have a medieval vibe / atmosphere... not an ancient Rome one.

Thematically and culturally, I think all factions have done a good job. Their lands, troop trees, scenes, music, bandits etc, are in harmony.

If I were to point one faction, I would say Empire. I am not saying make all three totally different but little nuances here and there would help to add more personality to them.

Some examples are
* Distint ruler behaviors
* Maybe little differences in let's say only one unit for each of three factions, like NE being better in cavalries
* Additional game mechanics when 3 Empire factions are doing war/peace/trade between themselves or with other factions. Currently, an Empire faction is no different than any other faction in terms of game rules. Can't think of solid ideas at the moment but it should matter when the faction being dealt with is Empire. The game (on store descriptions) is featured based on the Empire story-wise so mechanics-wise they need more flavor, color, and stuff going around.

I think the worst is the Empire. Their three kingdoms act like separated factions, but they're almost the same in everything. I wish they were more different in aesthetics and military.
That's actually one thing i like and wish would happen in more factions, they are one culture divided in a civil war, other factions should have this like an independant strong duke in Vlandia that don't bow to Derthert, a civil war in Sturgia due to the raising tensions with their ******* king, maybe one or two independant chieftains in Battania to represent their lack of centralization, another competing Sultanate in the south to split the Aserai etc

Viking conquest had this with many petty kingdoms sharing the same culture and it created a good objective for early/mid game of trying to unify your culture to strengthen your kingdom before going after the other ones.

But back on topic i think the biggest offender right now is Battania, the elite archer faction dorsnt have any commoner archers? Where are the hunters of the tribes? The people training regularly for the defense of their tribes or trying to be like the cool highborns with their longbows?

Yes, firmly agreed. I also wish they looked less Roman.

I feel it doesn't fit in Mount and Blade which I have always thought should have a medieval vibe / atmosphere... not an ancient Rome one.
They're based mostly on the early medieval Eastern Roman Empire (also called Byzantine in modern times) not the ancient western roman empire. That's what one of the minor factions is based on though.

They're based mostly on the early medieval Eastern Roman Empire (also called Byzantine in modern times) not the ancient western roman empire. That's what one of the minor factions is based on though.
Oh ok.... I didn't know that. Still feels odd to me... but hey, too late to change it now.

Oh ok.... I didn't know that. Still feels odd to me... but hey, too late to change it now.
Don't forget Bannerlord is a prequel, so it makes sense to base a faction on the Byzantine theme.

Also I get why people wish for the empire factions to be more diverse, but why would they? It literally split up like what, a couple of years ago?

"Empire" definitely. Even the name is bland, it's more like something from a 13 year olds fanfiction than a real game. What real state could call itself the "western empire"? Empire of what?
A state where no other empire exists. No need to specify if there's only one to begin with.

I'm not sure why the Empire factions would be different, they're 3 sides in a civil war fighting for the whole. It is one empire - they should be the same.

In fact, what I'd like to see is the empire factions more entwined somehow. So that it is more clear that they are one empire. It needs a more obvious capital city, more developed landscape with paved roads and aqueducts and infrastructure - even just for aesthetics. To make it clear when you're in "the Empire" as opposed to not. Right now you can't tell when you're in or out of the empire. I'd like to be able to see what the 3 factions are fighting over.

As for rosters... with the tweaks to the Khuzaits with 1.5.7 they don't seem to snowball much anymore. The Empire factions are now holding their own and even pushing back, and the factions have distinct differences, and they're all recruiting cavalry now, so I don't think there needs to be much more fleshing out or tweaking of rosters. I think that can all wait for mods now. I'd rather the devs spend their time working on allowing us to issue attack targets on the battlefield.

Well. There's arguably grounds for them having at least some minor differences. Since even as a whole Empire. The different armies would have been situated in vastly different areas. So the Army stationed in the west would likely have had some differences more suited for fighting Battanians and Vlandians. While the Northern Imperial Army facing Sturgians and Khuzait more commonly would have had adaptations made to fight it better and so on with the Southern Empire.

Additionally the three different "Emperors" with different political bases could arguably also create further differences. I mean Garios with all of his Veteran troops as his base would likely be able to scrounge up some better Foot infantry in some way. Meanwhile Rhea as the Empress would likely have access to the Imperial Bodyguard, Praetorians, Scholae, Palatina or whatever you want to call it.

Toss in different recruiting bases and access to resources and there is easily room for the different Imperial factions having *some* variations in army compositions for example.

How to do it would be another matter though. Perhaps some have different branches or possibly they end in different things. The Western Empire could for example have better Legionaries. The Southern empire Stronger Cataphracts and the Northern Empire.. Better Buccelarii ?

Just some quick suggestions off the cuff anyways. It could also be minor variations in equipment. For example Western Empire has more Chainmail heavy troops, northern a bit more Northern looking Lamellar and Coats of plate with the Southern empire retaining the more traditional Byzantine look we know of.

Also I get why people wish for the empire factions to be more diverse, but why would they? It literally split up like what, a couple of years ago?
Because they are ruled by diametrically different individuals and guiding principles, not to mention that each of the respective rulers gathered like-minded people in their factions. So it makes sense that as a result of that the factions would differ in how they operate.
I would not expect them to get completely different troop trees, but there should be economic and political differences in how the factions run.

A state where no other empire exists. No need to specify if there's only one to begin with.
Yes, but it's boring.

Yes, but it's boring.

If the lore is boring and poorly written, change the lore. Lets be honest, nobody really cares about the continuity between warband and bannerlord, especially not the developers.

Well. There's arguably grounds for them having at least some minor differences. Since even as a whole Empire. The different armies would have been situated in vastly different areas. So the Army stationed in the west would likely have had some differences more suited for fighting Battanians and Vlandians. While the Northern Imperial Army facing Sturgians and Khuzait more commonly would have had adaptations made to fight it better and so on with the Southern Empire.

Additionally the three different "Emperors" with different political bases could arguably also create further differences. I mean Garios with all of his Veteran troops as his base would likely be able to scrounge up some better Foot infantry in some way. Meanwhile Rhea as the Empress would likely have access to the Imperial Bodyguard, Praetorians, Scholae, Palatina or whatever you want to call it.

Toss in different recruiting bases and access to resources and there is easily room for the different Imperial factions having *some* variations in army compositions for example.

How to do it would be another matter though. Perhaps some have different branches or possibly they end in different things. The Western Empire could for example have better Legionaries. The Southern empire Stronger Cataphracts and the Northern Empire.. Better Buccelarii ?

Just some quick suggestions off the cuff anyways. It could also be minor variations in equipment. For example Western Empire has more Chainmail heavy troops, northern a bit more Northern looking Lamellar and Coats of plate with the Southern empire retaining the more traditional Byzantine look we know of.
About the armies according to the lore the empire disbanded the legions after Neretzes folly because of turmoil and lack of funds and changed to a system where local nobles/representatives raise private armies instead to defend their regions thus leading to a feudalization of the empire (or similar to the themata system the Eastern Roman Empire implemented in RL that focused more on homedefense when the empire started to lack funds to expand/reclaim lost territory so they shifted the focus to defend what they had instead)

That could be implemented as having unique noble troops for each empire while they all share a common troop to represent being the same culture for example.

It would be nice if the empire had similarities to where they are. The western had more tribal elements, northern more sturgis, and the southern more of an aseria/mediterranean feel. Not a lot just swap out a couple units/gear and move around the unit trees.

About the armies according to the lore the empire disbanded the legions after Neretzes folly because of turmoil and lack of funds and changed to a system where local nobles/representatives raise private armies instead to defend their regions thus leading to a feudalization of the empire (or similar to the themata system the Eastern Roman Empire implemented in RL that focused more on homedefense when the empire started to lack funds to expand/reclaim lost territory so they shifted the focus to defend what they had instead)

That could be implemented as having unique noble troops for each empire while they all share a common troop to represent being the same culture for example.
That could be one way of doing it easily. Though with the current situation in Cavalry for the Empire it would be pretty tough to not just end up with different flavours of Cataphract since otherwise one faction of the empire would be significantly disadvantaged.

But yeah, probably the most straightforward idea. Maybe the empire could get split noble lines ? IE Cataphracts and then something more unique ?

Back
Top Bottom