Selective targeting for formations in battles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I know a fair few of you have already heard of this mod, but that's not why I'm here. I was just made aware of something that completly blew me away and got me baffled on why I didnt realize this sooner and that is selective targeting orders for you individual troop formations.

Let's say you tell your cavalry to only go after archers. They then stay in formation and only go after archers or w/e their target might be until you tell them otherwise. Now my three questions to you is; how hard would this be for TW to implement into the base game? Also, is this something the community would want in the game or am I alone in this excitement? And furthermore, would this be totally unrealistic or break the game etcetc. I wanna hear some other opinions on this. I don't know if this has been brought up before, it must've have in some form or another. Also, I'm not aiming at the mod as a whole and that Bannerlord should be an RTS. My point is instead of having troops mindlessly aiming for individual entities or having your cavalry scatter after you inital charge order. Adding an order into the game rather than of your typical F1+F3, maybe sneak in a target order in there somewhere.

It's a simple feature/order that seem to, in my eyes help combat alot of the problems with the current battle AI.

I had this Eureka moment while watching ItalianSpartcus video on Youtube showcasing the RTS camera mod, take a look for yourself down below. Fastforward to around 5:50 and you'll see what I'm getting at.

People absolutely want this type of feature, it's been brought up a lot. It's very frustrating to see your cavalry ride strait into a SW and ignore better targets, or for archers to ignore dangerous HAs and shoot far far away infantry. How hard would it be for TW, I dunno?
As far as balance it's just a matter of getting the AI to do beneficial things with it too. Players can easily trash the AI at the moment, so it's could only be an improvement. AT worst the game gets less annoying because of stupid AI deaths from stupid AI choices. At best it becomes more challenging too if the AI can make good decisions.

In general when it comes to balance of player versus AI, I think the player can already beat the AI easily but the real concern is making the game more interesting and fun. So anything that lets the player do more things or make more choices is an improvement.

The RTS Camera has quite a few features that are well worth integrating into the main game. We do need a lot more granularity in our ability to control formations and their targets.

People absolutely want this type of feature, it's been brought up a lot. It's very frustrating to see your cavalry ride strait into a SW and ignore better targets, or for archers to ignore dangerous HAs and shoot far far away infantry. How hard would it be for TW, I dunno?

If a modder working alone can do it, TW can make an even bigger version, having more resources and a deeper ability to make changes as they see fit.

As far as balance it's just a matter of getting the AI to do beneficial things with it too. Players can easily trash the AI at the moment, so it's could only be an improvement. AT worst the game gets less annoying because of stupid AI deaths from stupid AI choices. At best it becomes more challenging too if the AI can make good decisions.

It's going to come down to making the Battle AI smarter. That's easier said than done, I'm afraid.

I've always wondered how many of Silen's brilliant suggestions came through
The lad knows he has my respect, both as a player and as a member of the community. He practically single-handedly tweaked the combat parameters (and thanks to Mister out of time for creating the prototype custom server client platform), many of which were replicated almost 100% by the devs and thus improving the playable experience in MP. And among other notable members of the community he gave invaluable feedback throughout the closed alpha beta period (June 2019 - March 2020).

Unfortunately, he gave up some time ago seeing that certain walls don't respond to whatever questions you ask them.
A pity, honestly.

In general when it comes to balance of player versus AI, I think the player can already beat the AI easily but the real concern is making the game more interesting and fun. So anything that lets the player do more things or make more choices is an improvement.
Yes this was my only ''concern'' aswell, regarding the balance of it all. But what you say ring true. If the AI had the same abilities I would feel that balance issue would be negated.

The lad knows he has my respect, both as a player and as a member of the community. He practically single-handedly tweaked the combat parameters (and thanks to Mister out of time for creating the prototype custom server client platform), many of which were replicated almost 100% by the devs and thus improving the playable experience in MP. And among other notable members of the community he gave invaluable feedback throughout the closed alpha beta period (June 2019 - March 2020).

Unfortunately, he gave up some time ago seeing that certain walls don't respond to whatever questions you ask them.
A pity, honestly.
Absolutely agree, I played many games with him and he teached me alot! His feedback was insanely good. But much like him, I just lurk the forums nowadays as opposed to making suggestions.

Oh my sweet summer child ? ? , this is a requested feature dating back to the end of 2019 with Silen being one of the first to bring the issue to the table. Like many of you, I too would like to know if this mechanic is part of Taleworlds development plans.
Oh okay. Yeah I would've thought so. This makes to much sense to not have already been brought up. But seeing as I havent played the game since launch and havent been on the forums for some time and could not find it on the suggestions/known issues threads I must have missed it.

Regardless, as you say would be nice with some conformation. Since this feature would potentially solve a lot.

Oh okay. Yeah I would've thought so. This makes to much sense to not have already been brought up. But seeing as I havent played the game since launch and havent been on the forums for some time and could not find it on the suggestions/known issues threads I must have missed it.

Regardless, as you say would be nice with some conformation. Since this feature would potentially solve a lot.
Oh no, it is perfectly logical for you to open such a thread even if it has been discussed before. What's more, there are topics that remain on the back of the shelf that need to be aired and dusted from time to time. That and the opinion of new users (even though you are more vet than me :lol: ) is always welcome; all together contribute to create better feedback.

I will 100% recommend every player to at least try this mod. Adds a hole new dimension to the game. Looking from an RTS perspective makes you realize how beautiful the game can be.
I am amazed that a modder was able to create this!
Pro's:
- formation targeting
- set preferred slow motions speeds so you can give orders
- control you army as in a total war game
- jump into the action at any point
- body slider function, just click on a soldier to play as that soldier
- beautiful to see your army moving from a RTS perspective and fun to see your character moving a fighting on his own.

Cons:
- Occasional crash near the end of a big battle. (rare though)

What's more, there are topics that remain on the back of the shelf that need to be aired and dusted from time to time. That and the opinion of new users (even though you are more vet than me :lol: ) is always welcome; all together contribute to create better feedback.
This, 100% agree with this.

And more vet than you? Those are your words not mine, Master Knight sir.

The view from above is honestly an interesting concept and totally valid as a mod; however I think it "exceeds" the conceptual limits of how M&B is supposed to be played. I mean, in M&B you're in battle then the battle doesn't pause for you, trees should blind you, hills should make it impossible to see enemy troops hiding behind... etc... that's what I mean.

Now, if the creator of that mod (RTS camera) would venture to take only the "enemy selector" mechanic and turn it into a standalone mod; oh boi.... the moder would be crowned as the possessor of an essential mod for many players.

If anyone has contact with the mod creator, well... you know :fruity: .

---

[Rei]

:lol:

[Rei] JoinedJul 4, 2016​

Terco_Viejo Joined Oct 8, 2018
5f01394759bf5b5be24a16dd.jpg

Last edited:
If a modder working alone can do it, TW can make an even bigger version, having more resources and a deeper ability to make changes as they see fit.
That is unfortunately not how game dev works.
Yes, they theoretically have more control over the code, but they also have to make sure the changes they are making play nicely with all the other features (something modders can to an extent ignore) and, more importantly, if the management even allows them to make said change, as it might be deemed not worth it, or not a priority.

So could TW do it? Sure. Would it be as simple as for a modder to do it? Unfortunately, that's a no.

The view from above is honestly an interesting concept and totally valid as a mod; however I think it "exceeds" the conceptual limits of how M&B is supposed to be played. I mean, in M&B you're in battle then the battle doesn't pause for you, trees should blind you, hills should make it impossible to see enemy troops hiding behind... etc... that's what I mean.

Now, if the creator of that mod (RTS camera) would venture to take only the "enemy selector" mechanic and turn it into a standalone mod; oh boi.... the moder would be crowned as the possessor of an essential mod for many players.

If anyone has contact with the mod creator, well... you know :fruity: .
You sir, take the words out of my mouth once again. I also vaguely mentioned this in my OP.

Back
Top Bottom