MP Native Kingdoms [Persistent Kingdoms Successor]

Users who are viewing this thread

I hope this suggestion also applies to boats, creating boats by having certain amount of wood sounds really cool
You can already repair them so creating them wouldnt be too much of a stretch I imagine. I despise having to wait until an admin gets on to reset boats because they’re all at the bottom of the ocean. Please make this a semi-priority.

You can already repair them so creating them wouldnt be too much of a stretch I imagine. I despise having to wait until an admin gets on to reset boats because they’re all at the bottom of the ocean. Please make this a semi-priority.
Yeah, it would be more interesting and easier if boats are something that can be spawned as opposed to having a spawnpoint for them. If wreckage could have the same behavior as items and despawn after x time, it could be great.

But as the devs have said, they should first try and recreate the original PW without altering too much, and it's experimenting from there on forth

Apologies for the outdated reference, but have you thought about implementing a Grand Exchange system like in Runescape? A place where all items can be bought and sold at one location. Perhaps it would be too intricate for mount and blade to implement something on the same scale, but would it be possible for something along these lines, basically a streamlined super version of a shop faction?

Apologies for the outdated reference, but have you thought about implementing a Grand Exchange system like in Runescape? A place where all items can be bought and sold at one location. Perhaps it would be too intricate for mount and blade to implement something on the same scale, but would it be possible for something along these lines, basically a streamlined super version of a shop faction?
I can see this working if this is released. Probably server will be full of people and I am not sure what the limit will be? 100? 200?

With 200 people on one server, sure this could work

Perhaps it could be cool for this region to be "peaceful only", people are unable to fight within it. However, this would be extremely hard to implement I imagine, as people could run away from a fight and go there, perhaps there could be some script to void this for a player in recent combat, but I don't know. Just an idea, probably not a good one. We tried having "peaceful only" places in NA PW and, suffice to say, it did not go as intended.

I honestly don't think that there is anything that can be done at the moment. It's just frustrating now that the Modding Kit is released and you see all these fancy maps, but one can't really do anything on the gameplay side other than playing around with some small scripts.

I just don't get how TW is fine with hosting their Native Module as MP but is unwilling to deliver the server executables to the public at this point. I fully understand if it's unstable or even insecure, but they could at least release it in a way so you can host a server locally on your own machine which does not show up in the official server list. That way you can fully develop mp mods while if there are any security, stabillity etc.-issues no one is affected by that.

So at this point I actually hope that it's unwillingness to release rather than Multiplayer being in a really bad state, if it takes another half to full year for this to be delivered we might as well write our own PW standalone game.

For me the transparency is missing on that topic. I've yet to find something related to what's the state of self hosted servers. I don't even need a release date, just a "this and that is not working at the moment so we cannot release it right now".
Six months later (and a year into Early Access) and still little to no information on this topic. Thank you, Taleworlds. Very cool!

I tried doing something to bring awareness to the issue, though it didn't really take off. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/transparency-on-the-future.440342/#post-9656124

Last edited:
based on the bannerlord online mod's successes, especially with the infrastructure of the mod, is this any inclination/clue on how many players a server would be able to support?
Impossible to tell at the moment. Depends on the engine and it's networking capabilities and of course ultimately on the hardware you run the server software on. We'll aim to at least support as many players as we had in Warband, so about 200 to 250 should be possible at minimum. That being said, we don't want this to become a massive multiplayer mod, tho max players will be configurable.

Have you tried developing anything using the Beta custom servers? Modded multiplayer servers are possible using that though you require the (pre-Early Access) Beta files and it's certainly not supported by TW at all.

It's not ideal but at the very least you could maybe toy around with maps or get a feel for the MP modding, but of course the code probably won't work on the current builds. I just wish TW would offer some help for the multiplayer modders to get a head-start even if they don't release custom servers to the general public yet...

Ye and speaking of releasing custom servers from TW to public it seems like its gonna take another year as its going at Taleworld-ish pace. Plus no statement was given about the matter so far.

Ye and speaking of releasing custom servers from TW to public it seems like its gonna take another year as its going at Taleworld-ish pace. Plus no statement was given about the matter so far.
I believe they said that they will be pushing back the full release of the game in Q4 2021. However, knowing Taleworlds, this is not necessarily meaning that they will release the private servers. I'm sure they will come up with some excuse.
It's not ideal but at the very least you could maybe toy around with maps or get a feel for the MP modding, but of course the code probably won't work on the current builds. I just wish TW would offer some help for the multiplayer modders to get a head-start even if they don't release custom servers to the general public yet...
Maps can already be made, and some people not within the dev group are already designing maps for the native game, which can (assuming they don't do some switcheroo on us) can be ported over to the Kingdoms mod when it comes out.

Impossible to tell at the moment. Depends on the engine and it's networking capabilities and of course ultimately on the hardware you run the server software on. We'll aim to at least support as many players as we had in Warband, so about 200 to 250 should be possible at minimum. That being said, we don't want this to become a massive multiplayer mod, tho max players will be configurable.
Seeing as servers mostly filled up on PW/PK at peak times, I think that with the increased player size of bannerlord, alongside a lot of players coming back after being bored of PW from a long time ago (5-8 years), I think that it’s going to be a lot bigger than before. Obviously as you said player count will be editable by the server, but do you think optimization to much higher server sizes to accommodate this increase in interest is the answer, or would the answer lie more in multiple servers (ie. A few clans play on server A, other clans play on server B and probably don’t interact)? I imagine there’s little you can do aside from hoping bannerlord has good infrastructure, but how high is this on your priority list?

Last edited:
Optimization will be a requirement on every feature we'll create and hopefully this will come out as something that can handle a lot more players than 200/250.

However, optimization within the mod can only be done on a highlevel, we are still dependend on the underlaying network implementation of the engine. The biggest performance hit will be transporting/syncing messages over network which then execute on the client or server side which we can control to some extend. C# also comes with a handy set of highlevel language features that will also help distributing workload to the underlaying system in a more let's say "efficient" way, which will ultimately help performance on the server side.

We'll surely will try to have a high as possible playercount, but optimization ist "just" optimization and not performance by design which we are bound to by the engines network capabilities.

In the end, the feeling of performance you get as a player is the combination of all of this, the server performance, the network you and the server communicate over, your client hardware and overall software running all over the place. So ye, we end up at the same place as with Warband and any other game: If the server runs on sparse hardware, if your bandwidth is bad and if your client hardware can't handle minesweeper you'll never experience one bit of our optiomization attempts :fruity:

But ye, I'd really like to give any estimates on how stuff runs but oh well, there are no news from TW sadly

Sorry for the double post, I was wondering if you plan to change combat speeds to be more suited towards warband in the mod. The competitive aspect of Bannerlord is kind of lacking, and PW/PK has been, to say the least, a semi-competitive type of mod. People certainly sweat on it. Is this planned, are you open to it, or no?

I also liked the fast-paced combat from PW/PK so ye, absolutely going to try and make it sort of similar if possible. In any case, this will surely be something up for configuration so server owners can choose for themselves

I also liked the fast-paced combat from PW/PK so ye, absolutely going to try and make it sort of similar if possible. In any case, this will surely be something up for configuration so server owners can choose for themselves
Tbh I think that’s the best of both worlds, not forcing anything but allowing the change if server owners want. I’m assuming though characters health will be doubled just like in PW/PK (or is that just a server function everyone uses, rather than an overall mod thing)?

I think the best approach would be to see how Bannerlord mechanics play out in a PW/PK setting before changing anything. A lot of aspects are faster paced than Warband as is, and whilst others are slower, it makes significantly more sense. Combat feeling different in a different game isn't a bad thing!

Back
Top Bottom