Character Bodyweight & Build Testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello guys, I really enjoy the game even though i think it needs a lot of improvements and work to become better.
However there are 2 bugs that bothered me and i have not found any answers. So i made my own small research in order to somehow to find a solution:

a) In beta 1.3 children and later generated companions do not have encylopedia entries
b) Character bodyweight and build (especially) is set to minimum values after a short period of time resulting to a visual exreme skinny look. (thats our main focus)

I playtested some specific behaviour and the results where the following
(i will also provide the detailed logs that i kept) - (i dused character creator pressing V to access it and ctrl+c - ctrl+v to copy the info into wordpad)

-AT THE START OF A FRESH GAME
<BodyProperties version="4" age="25.84" weight="0.5" build="0.5" key="xxxxxxx (long number -its the character identifier i think - not an expert though-)

-AFTER 5 DAYS OF WAITING IN A CITY
<BodyProperties version="4" age="30.06" weight="0.5" build="0.0254" key="xxxxx (Build was dimished. Age was increased(??).....and became totally skinny)

Now lets test on a long playthrough what kind of effects different actions may have:

WAITING IN A SETTLEMENT --At this stage the character is tottally skinny fat....even if he is a top mercenary with 190 party soldiers, 700k denars and top armour.....

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.16" weight="0.8" build="0" key=xxxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.17" weight="0.85" build="0" key=xxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.18" weight="0.9" build="0" key=xxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.21" weight="0.95" build="0" key=xxxxx />

MOVING ON CAMPAIGN MAP ON FOOT - NO FIGHTING -- Moving on foot seems to decrease weight and believe me the difference between weight=1 & 0.5 is big.

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.24" weight="0.75" build="0" key=xxxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.25" weight="0.75" build="0" key=xxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.29" weight="0.7" build="0" key=xxxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.33" weight="0.55" build="0" key=xxxxx/>

MOVING ON CAMPAIGN MAP ON HORSEBACK -- My character's weight kept decreasing after a few days. However no build changes.....

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.35" weight="0.45" build="0" key=xxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.39" weight="0.3" build="0" key=xxxxx />

WAITING IN A SETTLEMENT -- I decided to stay in a settlement. Guess what! After 10 days my weight had a major increase - and it was also visual...

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.41" weight="0.45" build="0" key=xxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.47" weight="1" build="0" key=xxxxxx />

FIGHTING TOURNAMENTS & PRACTICE FIGHTS (MOVE ON HORSEBACK) - No bodyweight changes...HOWEVER..build has increased!

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.48" weight="1" build="0" key="xxxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.49" weight="1" build="0.01" key="xxxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.5" weight="1" build="0" key="xxxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.52" weight="1" build="0.01" key="xxxxxx" />

MOVING AND FIGHTING ON THE CAMPAIGN MAP (ON HORSEBACK) - Fighting non stop and moving on the map, no waiting at all,

----- had a positive increase in the build and a major decrease in my weight. --------

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.53" weight="0.95" build="0" key="xxxxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.55" weight="0.85" build="0.01" key="xxxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.58" weight="0.75" build="0.03" key="xxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.59" weight="0.7" build="0.04" key="xxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.61" weight="0.6" build="0.06" key="xxxxxxx />

-So according to this simple playtest it seems THAT IS POSSIBLE TO BUILD MUSCLE (lol XD) by fighting. The more you fight the more you gain in build.
-Bodyweight seems to be associated only by WAITING or MOVING on the campaign map.

*Sorry for my poor english - not a native speaker....

Oh and i forgot to mention that children now without encyclopedia entries do not seem to exist in the game - due to the fact that via console commands the game can not detect them - something that was not happenig (at least to me) in beta 1.2 by using the same commands.

Hope i helped a bit about th skinny character bug or feature i guess.

EDIT
-After further research it seems that BUILD goes up by 0.01 every day if you have at least one battle a day and WEIGHT goes down 0.05 every day if you are not fighting or moving to the campaign map
-In every game your character at first will be at the age of 25 and with WEIGHT and BUILD = 0.5.
After ONE day, age and build reset to 30 and 0.02 respectively. It happens to me for every new character and you can check it visually too - no need to open character creation tab again.

Last edited:
Hello guys, I really enjoy the game even though i think it needs a lot of improvements and work to become better.
However there are 2 bugs that bothered me and i have not found any answers. So i made my own small research in order to somehow to find a solution:

a) In beta 1.3 children and later generated companions do not have encylopedia entries
b) Character bodyweight and build (especially) is set to minimum values after a short period of time resulting to a visual exreme skinny look. (thats our main focus)

I playtested some specific behaviour and the results where the following
(i will also provide the detailed logs that i kept) - (i dused character creator pressing V to access it and ctrl+c - ctrl+v to copy the info into wordpad)

-AT THE START OF A FRESH GAME
<BodyProperties version="4" age="25.84" weight="0.5" build="0.5" key="xxxxxxx (long number -its the character identifier i think - not an expert though-)

-AFTER 5 DAYS OF WAITING IN A CITY
<BodyProperties version="4" age="30.06" weight="0.5" build="0.0254" key="xxxxx (Build was dimished. Age was increased(??).....and became totally skinny)

Now lets test on a long playthrough what kind of effects different actions may have:

WAITING IN A SETTLEMENT --At this stage the character is tottally skinny fat....even if he is a top mercenary with 190 party soldiers, 700k denars and top armour.....

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.16" weight="0.8" build="0" key=xxxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.17" weight="0.85" build="0" key=xxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.18" weight="0.9" build="0" key=xxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.21" weight="0.95" build="0" key=xxxxx />

MOVING ON CAMPAIGN MAP ON FOOT - NO FIGHTING -- Moving on foot seems to decrease weight and believe me the difference between weight=1 & 0.5 is big.

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.24" weight="0.75" build="0" key=xxxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.25" weight="0.75" build="0" key=xxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.29" weight="0.7" build="0" key=xxxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.33" weight="0.55" build="0" key=xxxxx/>

MOVING ON CAMPAIGN MAP ON HORSEBACK -- My character's weight kept decreasing after a few days. However no build changes.....

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.35" weight="0.45" build="0" key=xxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.39" weight="0.3" build="0" key=xxxxx />

WAITING IN A SETTLEMENT -- I decided to stay in a settlement. Guess what! After 10 days my weight had a major increase - and it was also visual...

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.41" weight="0.45" build="0" key=xxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.47" weight="1" build="0" key=xxxxxx />

FIGHTING TOURNAMENTS & PRACTICE FIGHTS (MOVE ON HORSEBACK) - No bodyweight changes...HOWEVER..build has increased!

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.48" weight="1" build="0" key="xxxxxx/>
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.49" weight="1" build="0.01" key="xxxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.5" weight="1" build="0" key="xxxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.52" weight="1" build="0.01" key="xxxxxx" />

MOVING AND FIGHTING ON THE CAMPAIGN MAP (ON HORSEBACK) - Fighting non stop and moving on the map, no waiting at all,

----- had a positive increase in the build and a major decrease in my weight. --------

<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.53" weight="0.95" build="0" key="xxxxxx />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.55" weight="0.85" build="0.01" key="xxxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.58" weight="0.75" build="0.03" key="xxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.59" weight="0.7" build="0.04" key="xxxxx" />
<BodyProperties version="4" age="35.61" weight="0.6" build="0.06" key="xxxxxxx />

-So according to this simple playtest it seems THAT IS POSSIBLE TO BUILD MUSCLE (lol XD) by fighting. The more you fight the more you gain in build.
-Bodyweight seems to be associated only by WAITING or MOVING on the campaign map.

*Sorry for my poor english - not a native speaker....

Oh and i forgot to mention that children now without encyclopedia entries do not seem to exist in the game - due to the fact that via console commands the game can not detect them - something that was not happenig (at least to me) in beta 1.2 by using the same commands.

Hope i helped a bit about th skinny character bug or feature i guess.

EDIT
-After further research it seems that BUILD goes up by 0.01 every day if you have at least one battle a day and WEIGHT goes down 0.05 every day if you are not fighting or moving to the campaign map
-In every game your character at first will be at the age of 25 and with WEIGHT and BUILD = 0.5.
After ONE day, age and build reset to 30 and 0.02 respectively. It happens to me for every new character and you can check it visually too - no need to open character creation tab again.

THIS NEEDS VISIBILITY. It is very unbalanced and needs to be fixed.

This variable body weight system is really annoying to me, and I doubt it will get fixed for a long time if at all since its a purely cosmetic thing so its probably very low on their priority list. I really don't get the point of it either, since they left out the only dynamic body change that would actually matter, which is pregnant bellies. Even with the extra body sliders from Detailed Character Creation or mods like that, there's no belly slider that will make a woman look pregnant.

Not sure what has changed in single player lately... but since the last update (to 1.5.7) my female characters all gain weight passively. I've tried several new characters with varying traits. The story works out the same every time. When I load old pre-1.5.7 characters with years worth of game time they also start to gain weight.

Travelling on horse, non stop fighting - passive weight gain

<BodyProperties version="4" age="22.89" weight="0.5" build="0.5"
<BodyProperties version="4" age="22.9" weight="0.5" build="0.5"
<BodyProperties version="4" age="22.92" weight="0.6" build="0.5"

Walking + fighting along the way - passive weight gain, plus muscle mass

<BodyProperties version="4" age="22.93" weight="0.6" build="0.5"
<BodyProperties version="4" age="22.94" weight="0.65" build="0.525"
<BodyProperties version="4" age="22.95" weight="0.7" build="0.55"

From there I decided to sit still in a city... character continued to gain weight, and lost build.

I'm not sure what else I can do to lose weight? Anybody have ideas? Does anybody else have similar experiences? I haven't tried male characters yet.

Hello, you'll gain mass by participating in battles. You gain weight by spending time in settlements. You'll start to lose weight after spending 2 days away from any settlement. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Hello, you'll gain mass by participating in battles. You gain weight by spending time in settlements. You'll start to lose weight after spending 2 days away from any settlement. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Thanks for the reply...

I tested it by riding about the map - I rode from one end of the map to the other and back again - 4 nights each way. In that time my character's weight did go down. From weight = 0.8 to 0.725 - a rate of 0.009375 weight loss per night. On the other hand, afterwards I waited in a town overnight, and my weight went up again by 0.05. That means for every night I spend in a town, I have to run around the map for about 5 nights to lose the weight I just gained from that one night in town. Does this sound correct to you?

Edit:

I think I've discovered why weight loss from travelling about doesn't seem to balance with weight gain.

It seems that while travelling, your character gains weight for the first 2 days of a journey, then starts losing weight after day 2.

For example... this journey is on horseback:
  • Start journey weight="0.7" build="0.55"
  • End of day 1 weight="0.75" build="0.525"
  • End of day 2 weight="0.775" build="0.475"
  • End of day 3 weight="0.75" build="0.45"
As you can see the character starts losing build the moment they get on a horse (which is fine). But they gain weight for 2 days before they start to lose weight - meaning at the end of day 3, the weight loss hasn't yet balanced the weight gained on the first 2 days of the trip.

Because most towns and cities are less than 2 days travel apart, if one was to travel from town to town - for example to trade - one would put on weight every journey, and while in towns, but might never have a journey long enough to lose weight, and even if they did, that journey would have to be of substantial length (weeks of game time) to balance the passive weight gain from shorter trips.

Does this sound correct? If so I might suggest that this is leading to a systemic bias in the game in favour of weight gain?

Last edited:

How fast do you gain mass? Is this constant for each fight or depending on the length of the fight? Do tournaments result in less mass gain?

How fast do you gain mass? Is this constant for each fight or depending on the length of the fight? Do tournaments result in less mass gain?

I haven't tested fighting yet, but the passive build gain when you're walking about the map kicks in the moment you dismount, or leave a town and it's constant at 0.025 per day. Build loss when you remount your horse or stay in a town seems to be constant as well. This seems to be balanced fairly well - it takes similar amounts of time to gain and lose build when you move about the map in different ways.

I haven't seen any other increments and I've fought battles as I've walked and rode so I'm going to assume that gain from fighting might be in increments of 0.025 - I'll do some testing later on to see how many bandits you have to kill to reach a 0.025 build gain. Again, I'm going to assume you have to be dismounted.

Also to note... you don't seem to see the effects of these on your character in game until you either edit the character (V) or get a haircut - visible changes aren't passive.

I haven't tested fighting yet, but the passive build gain when you're walking about the map kicks in the moment you dismount, or leave a town and it's constant at 0.025 per day. Build loss when you remount your horse or stay in a town seems to be constant as well. This seems to be balanced fairly well - it takes similar amounts of time to gain and lose build when you move about the map in different ways.

I haven't seen any other increments and I've fought battles as I've walked and rode so I'm going to assume that gain from fighting might be in increments of 0.025 - I'll do some testing later on to see how many bandits you have to kill to reach a 0.025 build gain. Again, I'm going to assume you have to be dismounted.

Also to note... you don't seem to see the effects of these on your character in game until you either edit the character (V) or get a haircut - visible changes aren't passive.

So you do not get to bulk up like the Legionaries or the Sturgian Axe Men?

As you can see the character starts losing build the moment they get on a horse (which is fine). But they gain weight for 2 days before they start to lose weight - meaning at the end of day 3, the weight loss hasn't yet balanced the weight gained on the first 2 days of the trip.

Because most towns and cities are less than 2 days travel apart, if one was to travel from town to town - for example to trade - one would put on weight every journey, and while in towns, but might never have a journey long enough to lose weight, and even if they did, that journey would have to be of substantial length (weeks of game time) to balance the passive weight gain from shorter trips.

Does this sound correct? If so I might suggest that this is leading to a systemic bias in the game in favour of weight gain?

Yes, all of this seems correct. System was always similar to this, but due to a bug(see the edit on first post), it wasn't really noticeable.

Because most towns and cities are less than 2 days travel apart, if one was to travel from town to town - for example to trade - one would put on weight every journey.
Hmm yeah, this is not the ideal.

More info of the current system:
-0.1 weight when starving, -0.025 weight when not starving but away from towns for at least 2 days as you said, in other cases gain 0.05 weight. Yeah i see this may need some balancing.

-0.025 build if you haven't encountered any "event", such as raid - siege - battles - hideout, for at least 2 days. +0.025 build otherwise. You don't have to be dismounted btw.

Long sieges might get you buffed :smile:

Yes, all of this seems correct. System was always similar to this, but due to a bug(see the edit on first post), it wasn't really noticeable.

-0.1 weight when starving, -0.025 weight when not starving but away from towns for at least 2 days as you said, in other cases gain 0.05 weight. Yeah i see this may need some balancing.

-0.025 build if you haven't encountered any "event", such as raid - siege - battles - hideout, for at least 2 days. +0.025 build otherwise. You don't have to be dismounted btw.

Thanks for the reply, beybi123. Maybe you could revamp the numbers a little bit. Currently all my characters are slim and featherweights :xf-wink: I would like to keep mass easier, as I am still envious of the various body builder troops :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the reply, beybi123. Maybe you could revamp the numbers a little bit. Currently all my characters are slim and featherweights :xf-wink: I would like to keep mass easier, as I am still envious of the various body builder troops :ROFLMAO:
I think the slim thing was a bug with previous versions. Are you on 1.5.6 or 1.5.7? My characters always lost weight until I started new games on 1.5.7. I assume that there was an over correction and now characters are putting on too much weight through normal play, rather than losing it...

That all makes sense. Good to know about sieges... late game my character is permanently encamped outside someone's gate!

Re weight gain: my gut feeling is that either the 2 day wait before weight loss kicks in while travelling, or the 0.05 gain per day before that is too much and that's leading to my characters all ending up at weight = 1 within about half an hour of normal early gameplay (fighting, travelling, trading). And that weight loss is almost impossible without deliberately trying to lose weight.

At a guess I'd suggest that it's the 0.05 weight gain per day for the first two days travel that's the issue. Characters never quite spend enough time doing weight loss things to make up for the weight gained in all the short journeys they make.

I think the slim thing was a bug with previous versions. Are you on 1.5.6 or 1.5.7? My characters always lost weight until I started new games on 1.5.7. I assume that there was an over correction and now characters are putting on too much weight through normal play, rather than losing it...

That all makes sense. Good to know about sieges... late game my character is permanently encamped outside someone's gate!

Re weight gain: my gut feeling is that either the 2 day wait before weight loss kicks in while travelling, or the 0.05 gain per day before that is too much and that's leading to my characters all ending up at weight = 1 within about half an hour of normal early gameplay (fighting, travelling, trading). And that weight loss is almost impossible without deliberately trying to lose weight.

At a guess I'd suggest that it's the 0.05 weight gain per day for the first two days travel that's the issue. Characters never quite spend enough time doing weight loss things to make up for the weight gained in all the short journeys they make.

That was in previous games. I only played 1.5.7 a little bit.

Started a new campaign in 1.5.7. Got really fat. My character got even fatter.
Does weight gain start if we spend time in town or just even visiting the town to sell the loot will trigger it?
Is there a way to edit body weight in 1.5.7? DCC mod didn't work for me; couldn't find developer console commands for body weights either; dunno how to deserialize save files. Any ideas?
I guess the way to go is straight up starving back to skinny and never going to barber.

Last edited:
Does weight gain start if we spend time in town or just even visiting the town to sell the loot will trigger it?
Is there a way to edit body weight in 1.5.7? DCC mod didn't work for me; couldn't find developer console commands for body weights either; dunno how to deserialize save files. Any ideas?
I guess the way to go is straight up starving back to skinny and never going to barber.

Currently, your weight goes up if you're in a town, or if you're travelling between towns for less than 2 days. If your journey is longer than 2 days you'll lose weight. Also, your weight starts to go up the moment you enter a town.

If you're losing weight because you've been travelling and fighting, the second you enter a town to sell your loot, you'll start putting on weight. Not only that, but you'll keep putting on weight for the next 2 days even if you're travelling and fighting again.

This is the problem @beybi123 and I discuss immediately above. That there is now a bias towards weight gain because you gain weight for trips of less than 2 days. I suspect that the majority of players are going to start noticing their old characters start putting on weight because it is actually difficult to not put on weight without trying hard to.

Currently, your weight goes up if you're in a town, or if you're travelling between towns for less than 2 days. If your journey is longer than 2 days you'll lose weight. Also, your weight starts to go up the moment you enter a town.

If you're losing weight because you've been travelling and fighting, the second you enter a town to sell your loot, you'll start putting on weight. Not only that, but you'll keep putting on weight for the next 2 days even if you're travelling and fighting again.

This is the problem @beybi123 and I discuss immediately above. That there is now a bias towards weight gain because you gain weight for trips of less than 2 days. I suspect that the majority of players are going to start noticing their old characters start putting on weight because it is actually difficult to not put on weight without trying hard to.
Yeah, I did some testing as well, it is exactly as you say. On the other hand, now I know how to make my character skinny if I want to. I agree that duration of gaining weight needs to be reduced.

This mod lets you edit in 1.57
Hope it helps

This weight gain/loss is happening to fast.

The year is 84 days in 4 seasons and is expected to die maybe 30-40 years after the game starts. So the lifespan is nearly the same as in real world, except the shortet year (Calradia planet is moving faster then Earth around its sun).

The character is changing its weight appr. every 2-3 days with tendency to get biggggger. Every time you enter a city. It's not near to realistic, except maybe in some kind of Meat&Butterlord mod.

So for your lifespan you get visibly fatter/skinnier every week (+/- 1 to 7 kg). Even if you had a metabolitic syndrom is not possible to change that fast up and down for the rest of your life every week.

Is not serious that my bada** empire chick with khuzait lineage in matters of days is gaining weight and the closest resemblance is to a vlandian f*t cow.... In this case, she garrison her untis and wait on the map starving for a week. But it's pointless because she need to do it every time after visiting a city for the rest of her days.

The build thing (muscular mass) is for another topic but there are other extraodinary and concerning medical problems and diseases that haunts our charcters.

Last edited:
This weight gain/loss is happening to fast.

The year is 84 days in 4 seasons and is expected to die maybe 30-40 years after the game starts. So the lifespan is nearly the same as in real world, except the shortet year (Calradia planet is moving faster then Earth around its sun).

The character is changing its weight appr. every 2-3 days with tendency to get biggggger. Every time you enter a city. It's not near to realistic, except maybe in some kind of Meat&Butterlord mod.

So for your lifespan you get visibly fatter/skinnier every week (+/- 1 to 7 kg). Even if you had a metabolitic syndrom is not possible to change that fast up and down for the rest of your life every week.

Is not serious that my bada** empire chick with khuzait lineage in matters of days is gaining weight and the closest resemblance is to a vlandian f*t cow.... In this case, she garrison her untis and wait on the map starving for a week. But it's pointless because she need to do it every time after visiting a city for the rest of her days.

The build thing (muscular mass) is for another topic but there are other extraodinary and concerning medical problems and diseases that haunts our charcters.

Well, and in the case of "growing" your family tree and have to stay in the settlement until it happen. that can take many days...

I think you should put on weight if you wait in a city, but not if you go to market then leave the city straight away. That would solve most of the weight gain issues.

My workaround when I was starting a new playthrough was to sell loot to merchants (lower rates tho) so I didn't have to enter a town. It took quite a few weeks of game time, but I ended up at 0 weight and 1 build. Buff. At that point I opened the character edit menu and saved my new build.

Of course in 1.5.9 they've given us sliders so the whole mechanic is pointless, which is a shame. I really liked their being consequences for inactivity - otherwise you could theoretically park your character and go to lunch - coming back years later rich.

Back
Top Bottom