Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

Froden

Recruit
The crash that happens after smithing an item and attacking bandits has changed after the hotfix today. Before the hotfix after a reload you could then attack bandits without crashing. After the hotfix, all saves that exist after smithing an item become corrupted and can no longer attack bandits. This renders 1.5.7 unplayable if you craft weapons. My 400+ day 1.5.7 campaign crashes every time I attack and on every save file I have after the hotfix.

I started a new 1.5.7 campaign after the hotfix and had no crash attacking bandits. I then refined some wood into coal and had no crash attacking bandits. Next I smelted some weapons to raw materials and had no crash attacking bandits. Finally I crafted a two handed sword, saved my game, and crashed when attacking bandits. I reloaded the save and tried again to attack and crashed again. The crash happens just as you catch the group you're attacking.

For me, it is as other users wrote in similar threads - having smithed items in inventory causes the crash reliably post 1.5.7 hotfix for me.

My saves are not corrupted. When I sell or drop all crafted items in inventory (those that are equipped on the character can remain on character, so for me that was just a few dozen javelins), I can attack looters just fine in my existing saves and can continue my campaign.

Reliable repro on new campaigns as you decribe - run for Poros, smith something out of your starting cash, seek out looter party -> crash. However, only when you have that smithed thing in inventory....

Did you try dropping everything from the inventory in your existing saves and try attacking the looters to see if that works for you too? Because putting that smithed stuff into your fief's stash is maybe a nice workaround to continue your save until this gets fixed. nd you can use smithed weapons just fine, as long as they're equipped, not in inventory, so it also doesn't render smithing itself useless.

At least for me. Maybe I'm lucky.

For me, it is as other users wrote in similar threads - having smithed items in inventory causes the crash reliably post 1.5.7 hotfix for me.

My saves are not corrupted. When I sell or drop all crafted items in inventory (those that are equipped on the character can remain on character, so for me that was just a few dozen javelins), I can attack looters just fine in my existing saves and can continue my campaign.

Reliable repro on new campaigns as you decribe - run for Poros, smith something out of your starting cash, seek out looter party -> crash. However, only when you have that smithed thing in inventory....

Did you try dropping everything from the inventory in your existing saves and try attacking the looters to see if that works for you too? Because putting that smithed stuff into your fief's stash is maybe a nice workaround to continue your save until this gets fixed. nd you can use smithed weapons just fine, as long as they're equipped, not in inventory, so it also doesn't render smithing itself useless.

At least for me. Maybe I'm lucky.

I was mostly trying to draw attention to the fact that before the Hotfix you could reload after crashing and everything would be fine, I had crafted items in my inventory too. After hotfix this is not the case.

I was NOT aware that after the hotfix I could sell the item from inventory and this would allow me to attack without crashing. This is why I thought all my saves were corrupted, they all would crash after hotfix because of crafted items in inventory. I will go try this on my save right now... I'm back and you're correct. I sold the item and I could then attack without crashing. Great stuff Butters. They should be able to nail this thing quickly with that kind of specificity.

edited for clarity.

Last edited:
I was mostly trying to draw attention to the fact that before the Hotfix you could reload after crashing and everything would be fine, I had crafted items in my inventory too. After hotfix this is not the case.

I was NOT aware that after the hotfix I could sell the item from inventory and this would allow me to attack without crashing. This is why I thought all my saves were corrupted, they all would crash after hotfix because of crafted items in inventory. I will go try this on my save right now... I'm back and you're correct. I sold the item and I could then attack without crashing. Great stuff Butters. They should be able to nail this thing quickly with that kind of specificity.

edited for clarity.

Confirm all that.
I have day off and wanted to play a bit.
I have save in vostrum. If i run just outside and attack bandits - crash.
Dropped crafted javelins and 2handers in stash, encountered bandits - no crash. Came back to town, picked one crafted weapon from stash, attacked the same group - crash.

My companions have crafted weapons equipped, so it doesn't matter. Only weapons in your inventory causing this crash.

Seems like if I pay attention to not have any crafted weapon in inventory I do not get ctd when engaging looters. On the other hand it is sometimes quite easy to forget to get rid of crafted weapon when stamina is spent to smelt it or no money in town to sell it.

Last edited:
For me, any and all looter crashes I experienced seem to be completely solved/gone after the recent hotfix. Nice job!

Hello, i am glad the problem is solved with the hotfix. I will change the thread tag to "Resolved" if OP or anyone in this post still experiences this issue please let me know.

Hello, i am glad the problem is solved with the hotfix. I will change the thread tag to "Resolved" if OP or anyone in this post still experiences this issue please let me know.
Was looking for a fix for this issue currently running the 1.8.0 beta update and the crash is occuring again, Tested items on hero, in inventory, both cause crash when attacking bandits.

Back
Top Bottom