Resolved Companions and nobles die extremely too often, ruining the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Ah! Yes, I didn't take the perk that causes the medicine skill to affect enemies as well as your own men (when I chose the other perk, death-in-battle hadn't been added to the game yet). That could make a big difference.

i might be wrong but i think piercing damage is the most lethal. ALL militia does this and for some reason AI lords love to be first up the ladder etc. that's why it seems like a couple of them die every siege. this can be fixed by either increasing bow damage or having lords react properly to getting shot at. the issue right now is that because it takes 2-3 body shots to pick an archer off the wall they're gauranteed a couple hits. then your lords face spears at the top of the walls after they've been shot twice. some of the lords who do this have no combat traits and no helmet

Sieges have the serious problem right now of formations being scrambled at the start. And any changes the player makes to the formations and their locations during the pre-battle setup, well, the game tosses those out once the battle starts. Sieges are so broken that, as loath as I am do to it, I usually just auto-resolve them.

It's intolerable that my companions are all automatically thrown into random formations for siege battles, with no way for me to command them separately from the rest of my troops at any point in the battle. Not to mention that typically I'm given only two formations, each comprised of a random mix of archers, infantry, and even dismounted cavalry. It's just broken! A total deathtrap for companions... there's simply no way to keep them from suicide-charging with the mooks.

Companions uncontrollably charging up the ladder into the meat-grinder wasn't a huge deal when they were only wounded, but now, there only two choices for keeping them alive: auto-resolve, or leave them at a settlement before laying siege. (Actually, you can bring your engineer with you for the construction phase, but just before entering the battle map, create a new party with him as leader and lone member, to keep him out of combat.)

Last edited:
Overall though, the issue is that I want ageing and birth, but not death in combat as its at the moment.
They could resolve this easy enough with haveing them seperate or at the very least add in a toggle options where we can set the % ourselves.
Thus for me I'd have it at 0% and have it disabled, and some others could have it at 10-20.

The problem is that this feature was seperate before, and why they merged it with no opiton to keep it seperate is beyond me.
Given that this isnt the only post about the issues since it started, its clearly the feature is divise and should be looked at to let players choose more what option suits them(like they have with a few other "forced" mechancs after negative feedback/backlash).

The only thing I take comfort with is if they have this feature as it is, we can down the line just find the right mod for us that will fix it to how we want(or if the modding tools is easy enough fix it ourselves(I tweaked enough in Warband in the textfiles, so I'm sure I can do it Bannerlord if thats the case).

They should only be able to die if they lose the battle.
they need to have realistic standards apply instead of arbitrary ones, for example these female lords who ride around without a helmet should die from headshots, but they also should always opt to "send troops" in any battle they're involved in. then they need some type of "capture" feature in battle based on tactics. like F9 or something orders your troops to capture and if the enemies morale is low enough they'll surrender

As far as companions, it seems inconsistent to me. Last game I think I lost 8-10 at least. I constantly had to check battle logs closely to make sure who died so I could take their armor off before they disappeared. This game i haven't lost anyone yet. Although I haven't paid that much attention, I suspect I was battling more often last game and my companions were entering more battles already wounded. seems like if they start the battle healthy they are less likely to die, even if they are disabled in battle. (could be wrong, just a guess)

I'll also mention though that I wish when you were gathering loot & equipment after battle it would either just add your dead companion's loot or highlight the companion in some way. I hate realizing after the battle that the companion died and I didn't get his stuff back.

I constantly had to check battle logs closely to make sure who died so I could take their armor off before they disappeared.

How? You can't access the inventory during battle, and once the battle's over, the dead companion (and their equipment) are immediately removed from player access. So, AFAIK, it isn't possible in an un-modded game to recover a companion's equipment at any point after s/he is killed. I presume you're using a mod; yes?

It'd be nice to be able to recover their equipment. Some of my companions are more valuable than their gear, but other companions are less valuable than their armour. Depends on the companion and also the gear.

Last edited:
they need to have realistic standards apply instead of arbitrary ones, for example these female lords who ride around without a helmet should die from headshots, but they also should always opt to "send troops" in any battle they're involved in. then they need some type of "capture" feature in battle based on tactics. like F9 or something orders your troops to capture and if the enemies morale is low enough they'll surrender
I disagree. It's a game so it needs to have more of a curve for the hero's Ladies shouldn't be leading parties. Sexiest as it may be there is ZERO reason for pregnant or of age women should be allowed to fight on a battlefield in mass. Rhagea makes sense but Ira is the heir to the throne and shouldn't be risked. The AI cannot calc. if they should hold up shields or protect their lord like in real life so they shouldn't die in battle unless there is no way to protect them as you want them to have a chance to die but also there be a way to protect Lords as a player and that would mean you have to win the battle.

How? You can't access the inventory during battle, and once the battle's over, the dead companion (and their equipment) are immediately removed from player access. So, AFAIK, it isn't possible in an un-modded game to recover a companion's equipment at any point after s/he is killed. I presume you're using a mod; yes?

It'd be nice to be able to recover their equipment. Some of my companions are more valuable than their gear, but other companions are less valuable than their armour. Depends on the companion and also the gear.
The game goes from the battle stats screen, who shows who died, to the prisoners screen, to the loot screen. If you see on the stats screen that your companion died, when you get to the loot screen, switch to the companion that died and strip them clean. Once you get past the loot screen you can't get their stuff.

As far as companions, it seems inconsistent to me. Last game I think I lost 8-10 at least. I constantly had to check battle logs closely to make sure who died so I could take their armor off before they disappeared. This game i haven't lost anyone yet. Although I haven't paid that much attention, I suspect I was battling more often last game and my companions were entering more battles already wounded. seems like if they start the battle healthy they are less likely to die, even if they are disabled in battle. (could be wrong, just a guess)
I guess things change quickly. Since last reporting, I've lost 3 companions and 2 wives. The first wife I had a long time, frm fairly early clan level 1 to early clan level 4. She didn't bear me any children & I thought it may be because I basically had no relations with her. So I played tablut with her at pretty much every town and raised it to 43 before she died. Still no children Second wife I think I was married to 7 in-game days. Possibly not that many. Had been in 2 battles. She entered the 2nd healthy & it was just an extortion by deserters battle with me having 130 high level troops & a few hundred others that happened to join it on my side. I was surprised I lost anyone, let alone my wife who had very good armor.

ok I m not 100% sure about this, (my game keeps crashing since I updated to 1.57). when you look at the battle screen during the battle and you see someone dying, you can retreat. now what I did was leaving the battle because I was the attacker and my wife died as planned. sadly she came back to life. I do not know if this exploit can be use to save your companions, as I say, I left the battle as I was just interested in killing my wife, so maybe if you go back in battle and the battle is resolved entirely they die for good, but I think is it cancels every death before your retreat. so retreating and going back into battle might be the option to save your companions for now. so for reminder, tab to see if anyone died, middle mouse to get the cursor on that screen then press retreat, you end up back to the world map with option to go back into battle.

to be honest this retreating thing in the middle of the battle is a bit broken (completely broken actually) and I hope they find a better way to implement it like a limited amount of retreat or retreat point you need to earn in battle. but that s off topic.

What's Tab bound to by default? I rebound all my keys, so I don't know what function that is, and I'm not aware of any function that lets me see which of my troops are dead before the battle is over. (I play on absolute max difficulty, with labels and such off, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.)

Hi, I will mark the issue as resolved. If you encounter the same one in the latest version, please let me know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom