Slight buffs for peasant units?

Users who are viewing this thread

flashn00b

Sergeant at Arms
Unless you're a Vlandian, Battanian or Khuzait, the peasant units in Bannerlord's multiplayer seem to only exist to punish players either for dying as an actual unit or joining an ongoing match. Such punishments kill any incentive to pick anything more expensive than 130 points. Khuzait has its own set of problems, so I don't think i'm gonna talk about the Rabble at all in this thread.

Tribal Warrior (Aserai)
I remember that there was a point where he was actually good. I can understand why they removed the Javelin since it makes the Skirmisher seem less attractive, though removing them entirely whilst keeping the point cost at 100 just makes dying as a skirmisher, archer or guard a harsh enough punishment where you're better off leaving the server. IMO, I think one of two solutions would work:
  • Give him the Light Javelin - Allows him to do a bit of ranged damage whilst not stepping on the Skirmisher's toes
  • Reduce his cost to 90 - Considering his current skillset and perks, reducing his cost would allow players to pick the Veteran or heavy cavalry without the fear of being punished too harshly.

Recruit (Empire)
I'm of mixed minds of this guy. He's probably one of the better peasants in this game and that's mostly because he stole the throwing spear from the Clan Warrior. At the same time, it feels like the usage of the Pila is more reliant on luck than skill and if you make a bad throw, your only option is to rely on mob tactics if you wanna have a chance at killing anything at all. I think the best way to handle the perks would be to do the following:
  • Imperial Javelins are now part of the Recruit's basic kit
  • Perk 1
    • Better Javelins perk is replaced with Axe
    • Extra Javelins is replaced with Improved Armor (Downgrades Imperial Javelin to Javelin, +9 armor)
  • Perk 2
    • Pilum is replaced with Extra Javelins (Extra quiver is determinant based on Perk 1 selection)

Warrior (Sturgia)
Currently the worst faction in multiplayer, and simply playing the Warrior just cuz you died as a Brigand is an agonizing experience. I think what needs to happen is for the Northern Short Spear to be replaced with the regular Northern Spear and for the perks to be shifted around in such a way where the Warrior can have a shield and spear but also able to pick the two-handed axe and improved armor. I do not know how this would look in the perk selection screen. Pretty sure I mentioned this in a thread about buffing the Sturgia faction as a whole.

Last edited:
Alternatively one could increase the standard budget in TDM and siege to 120 points so you only have to play peasant by choice to save up money for the expensive classes.

Tribal Warrior (Aserai)
Isn't big shield with kaskara(long sword) which is a super good sword enough? It's already 100 gold to spawn with Idk what you thinking but 90 doesn't make sense. The idea behind tribal warrior is that they can spawn 3 times even with reset gold(skirmish) isn't that really enough that you seek more ways of buffing it as if it were weak?
Warrior (Sturgia)
Warrior with shield and mace is pretty dope if you want a shield, or you can go 2h axe and be a better shock troop than the berserker. Mind you all these units are considered "peasant" and they are not supposed to have strong equipment(Idk why the **** recruit got the pila).

What you suggested here basically means that we need a medium class infantry like brigand and wildling. Buffing peasant class is just going to result in everyone spamming them and game being a quadruple spawn spamming each other. Peasants needs to be weak imo not have every equipment other classes have.

Bring back Warband loadouts already. Beeing forced into **** classes, terrible equipment and adapting to them is still what makes me quit to this day. Especially when you find yourself getting cav-spawnkilled right after selecting your favorite class.

Peasants needs to be weak imo not have every equipment other classes have.
Peasants should still be strong enough to allow late joiners to show off their skills. With the current balancing, it seems more prudent to quit a game if you lose your last life. The Vlandian Peasant Levy and Battanian Clan Warrior can already do a lot of damage via the Billhook and Mace/Targe respectively, and I don't get why other peasant units can't be similarly competent.

You are proposing to reduce the best peasant class in cost and giving him more stuff? Why does aserai need a buff lol?

Warrior is fairly decent, you can get a not too shabby shield 1h and improved armor

You are proposing to reduce the best peasant class in cost and giving him more stuff? Why does aserai need a buff lol?
I'm thinking that they could EITHER give him the light javelin and keep the 100 point cost OR keep his current stats but have him cost 90. The removal of a projectile attack definitely hurt the Aserai Tribal Warrior a lot more than the Battanian Clan Warrior's loss of the Throwing Spear. I don't think i remember NEEDING to 5v1 a 120 cost infantry as the Clan Warrior whereas for most peasants, 5v1 is probably your primary source for kills.

Warrior is fairly decent, you can get a not too shabby shield 1h and improved armor
Against cavalry, you'll wish you could carry the spear and shield at the same time... and also wish you had a regular spear instead of a short spear.

OP is balancing around TDM, this is the perfect example of why we should not be using the same class system in every mode because it seems every single post has to clarify what mode it is talking about.

As for OP, Tribal Warrior is 100% the best light infantry class right now and is exactly how every other one should be. You think the Clan Warrior is good but their only shield option is a tiny targe that is so easy to shoot around it's pathetic, they used to have a large oval shield like the Wildling and Oathsworn get. Peasant and Rabble are crap but they are cheaper(I would actually make the peasant same price as rabble why does it get to be 10g cheaper while having better options).

Just imagine every light infantry class was as good as Tribal Warrior or the old Clan Warrior(Default highland club, option for ash throwing spear and large oval shield at same time), it wouldn't be so ass when you die twice after a 20 kill streak and lose all your gold.

I'm thinking that they could EITHER give him the light javelin and keep the 100 point cost OR keep his current stats but have him cost 90. The removal of a projectile attack definitely hurt the Aserai Tribal Warrior a lot more than the Battanian Clan Warrior's loss of the Throwing Spear. I don't think i remember NEEDING to 5v1 a 120 cost infantry as the Clan Warrior whereas for most peasants, 5v1 is probably your primary source for kills.
What are you on about? Tribal warriors are really ****ing good. They are quick af and you can always spawn 3 times. If you need to 5v1 someone then that is just your skill.

Against cavalry, you'll wish you could carry the spear and shield at the same time... and also wish you had a regular spear instead of a short spear.
Then you take brigand or varyag, whats the problem?

Not every faction is played the same and you want to give every class every weapon.

Another issue that could have been solved by using different perk lists instead of sharing them all for all gamemodes

To be honest, the light infantry classes that suck, suck in all game modes. The ones that make you pick between shield or spear is basically making you pick what you want to die from. If they simply shuffled the perks around it would be fine but they seem reluctant to give us a solid class to play off of at our lowest gold.

To be honest, the light infantry classes that suck, suck in all game modes. The ones that make you pick between shield or spear is basically making you pick what you want to die from. If they simply shuffled the perks around it would be fine but they seem reluctant to give us a solid class to play off of at our lowest gold.
The problem is that people like me would take light infantry classes not because they're strong, but because they're fun.

Just look at any gamemode in warband, and you have people swinging around with next to no armor for the simple fact it's fun to play as. Peasant offers no fun to the class. For god's sake add like a torch or something to at least make it stand out for fun

Then you take brigand or varyag, whats the problem?
That's speaking in sikirmish terms. OP is probably talking more about TDM where you are often forced to play a peasant class. Die once as berserker or dei twice as brigand and there we are. Varayg is usually not available.

Rework the gold system si that we are never forced into pendant classes
I think that would solve the issue for TDM/Siege, no need for a separate class system.

Why do we even need to balance the game around TDM??
Just give fixed wave spawns in TDM and it's all good. Score in TDM does not represent any reality.
It does represent a majority of the current MP playerbase.

No one is asking to balance the game around TDM. People are asking to change the gamemode according to what it's supposed to reflect. Which is fun.

It does represent a majority of the current MP playerbase.

No one is asking to balance the game around TDM. People are asking to change the gamemode according to what it's supposed to reflect. Which is fun.
I know your point and I know class system shouldn't be in for TDM and siege and possibly battle mode.
What can you do...

Just look at any gamemode in warband, and you have people swinging around with next to no armor for the simple fact it's fun to play as. Peasant offers no fun to the class. For god's sake add like a torch or something to at least make it stand out for fun

I mean I spend the majority of my time in TDM as light infantry with a one handed only, I have lots of fun. It’s subjective though. When it comes to Skirmish and competitive games though, it’s not exactly a viable thing ?. And that’s when these classes could do with a basic but versatile equipment set up.

I know your point and I know class system shouldn't be in for TDM and siege and possibly battle mode.
What can you do...
As proposed ages ago, make different perk sets for different gamemodes. It can't be that hard to do.

I mean I spend the majority of my time in TDM as light infantry with a one handed only, I have lots of fun. It’s subjective though. When it comes to Skirmish and competitive games though, it’s not exactly a viable thing ?. And that’s when these classes could do with a basic but versatile equipment set up.
I mean yeah, you can have tons of fun, not denying that. But it gets boring real quick without options to make you play the class differently.

Back
Top Bottom