Chess!

Users who are viewing this thread

I used to play chess competitively around uh 15 years ago. Slightly terrifying that it was so long ago. Anyway, being stuck at home with not a whole lot to do for entertainment led me to renew my interest in it, and I was wondering how many here share the passion, if any.

Plz no ban.
I also used to play chess competitively as a kid and afterwards had a recurring urge to get into it again.
But when you think about it, chess is obsolete for a long time now - any Civ game is much more complex and satisfying.
I've seen people of various ages taking interest in chess recently and playing online, but what's the point? Is this because that Olaf Whatshisname made the game cool with his youth and good looks? Plz enlighten.

Well I liked it before it was cool! To me it was honestly a good way to make friends because, well, I'm a nerd and thus had an easier time getting along with other nerds I suppose. The Queen's gambit definitely helped with the popularity but I think that a combination of covid and chess being marketed more aggressively as an e-sport of sorts have also a lot to do with it.

I quit when I started college because I had gotten to a high enough level that I would have had to study seriously to be competitive, and I just couldn't bring myself to deal with that on top of college. As I said the pandemic plus not really knowing all that many people where I live now led me back to wanting to play again... Even if, I have to say, playing online really does not have the same feel. I am not doing a whole lot of that these days precisely because of this reason.

@MadVader you are not wrong on Civilization but I think chess hits a sweet spot between being too complicated and too simple. And also this could be just me being weird but there is something satisfying about the physical act of moving pieces on the board (clearly that doesn't apply to playing online though, unless you use a smart chessboard of some kind).

Chess is a staple of a game yet if you play with somebody above or below your playing field it sorta loses its charm sure crushhing your 5 year old cousin in chess is fun the first time but certainly not the 15th but when you hit that sweet spot and find somebody right on your level its much better my average game of chess takes an hour or so since most of my friends play too I used to be pretty competitive at chess and still sorta am but just making that one move that swings the game is always satisfying especially if they try to be greedy and take more then 1 piece but just thinking about my next move gives me paranoia could this be the winning move or the one that costs me the game.

Certainly a way to socialize too

@MadVader you are not wrong on Civilization but I think chess hits a sweet spot between being too complicated and too simple.
I think this was why chess lasted through the centuries - easy to learn, stupidly difficult to master.
Maybe modern day equivalents would be games like Into The Breach as opposed to feature-rich, complex games where complexity often doesn't add much to the gameplay.
And there's the multiplayer, socializing aspect too as the username dude said. You can pick up your phone and simply start a game with someone in Honduras.

The game really needs some updates right about now tbh they have fallen so low to tey to appease PETA and SJWs still can't believe how they lilled the vizier

I lost interest after the en passant patch really, who thought that was a good idea???

They were just trying to please pawn mains who pointed out quite rightly that the class sucks and has no use beyond the earlygame, so they add this pointlessly situational ability that people only use as a joke. Meanwhile the Queen can 1-tap all of them with no downsides.
Personally I lost interest after the Castling patch, it was just one step in a long list of shoddy attempts to "streamline" the game. Base management used to be fun, but what's the point now when you can just castle in one turn?

This little update with movement instructions is nice for beginners.
Jd5tk.jpg

The game really needs some updates right about now tbh they have fallen so low to tey to appease PETA and SJWs still can't believe how they lilled the vizier
I don't know how you can call chess appeasing the SJWs, I mean it's literally a game where black and white people wage war against each other, and as if this wasn't enough, white always make the first move.
If anything, its the least politically correct game we have.

Also, Russia is so woke we still call it vizier (just a little different word for it) instead of queen. Chess FTW.

Back
Top Bottom