Resolved Dead Family and Companions

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.5
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
All of a sudden my companions and family members started dying with this new update and I am sure I had that feature turned off. Who would change that to remove it being optional?? Am I missing something? Add to this that you have no control over what they do in sieges and this item is a real disaster for my continuing game.

Do you have a save file of session that you experienced this issue? With your save file, we can reproduce the issue much easier and faster. You can find your save file here:

C:\Users\username\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves

You can send your save files to us via upload.taleworlds.com site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier.
Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

Birth and Death feature is disabled in the save file you have uploaded. The death preference was always disabled by default but enabling death by default has broken the old and new saves alike. Can you start a new fresh campaign with death is disabled to check if someone is dying or not? This needs to be fixed and working correctly on new, fresh campaigns.

Birth and Death feature is disabled in the save file you have uploaded. The death preference was always disabled by default but enabling death by default has broken the old and new saves alike. Can you start a new fresh campaign with death is disabled to check if someone is dying or not? This needs to be fixed and working correctly on new, fresh campaigns.

The same ****...nobles and companions started to die in battles with patch 1.5.5. like ordinary soldiers!
Of course, I understand that realism and all that ... but if we have realism - and companions die like ordinary soldiers - then the training of companions and their equipment must be done the same as for ordinary soldiers.
In order to equip a companion in the armor of the level of a high-ranking unit, you need to spend a lot of time to find this armor and so much money that more than 1000 human units in this armor could be hired with this money!

And suggesting that we start a new campaign with each patch is not very correct, given that the passage of one campaign can take hundreds of hours of real time.
What is the fun of playing if you constantly have to start over and can never finish?

I can confirm the same behavior as the original post. My companions (since 1.5.5 or earlier), are dying at a fantastic rate. One died after a battle and he was still above 10% health I believe. I'm fairly certain that I also checked the box at the beginning of the campaign to not allow death.

The same ****...nobles and companions started to die in battles with patch 1.5.5. like ordinary soldiers!
Of course, I understand that realism and all that ... but if we have realism - and companions die like ordinary soldiers - then the training of companions and their equipment must be done the same as for ordinary soldiers.
In order to equip a companion in the armor of the level of a high-ranking unit, you need to spend a lot of time to find this armor and so much money that more than 1000 human units in this armor could be hired with this money!

And suggesting that we start a new campaign with each patch is not very correct, given that the passage of one campaign can take hundreds of hours of real time.
What is the fun of playing if you constantly have to start over and can never finish?

They asked you to start a new campaign to check, whether disabling the feature works in your game if you disable it at the beginning. You know, likely to narrow in the possible reasons for this bug ...

They asked you to start a new campaign to check, whether disabling the feature works in your game if you disable it at the beginning. You know, likely to narrow in the possible reasons for this bug ...

When starting a new campaign, you can turn off the option of birth and death of characters - this is a completely different option - with it, characters simply do not die of old age, but they are not born either.
I'm talking about the fact that the characters began to die in battles, and not from old age. This has not happened before, neither in this game nor in Warband

Birth and Death of characters I assumed applied to old age. I had thought there was an option for Death of Companions but maybe my memory is faulty. Whatever the case about my memory, it is screwed up. I want birth and death of characters/companions in the family trees but not in battles. And that is the way it used to be until recently. I started a new campaign and yes, they are still dying. Perhaps you can describe what the Birth and Death option is intended to do and if it was changed in the latest patch?

So with one bad patch, they pretty much eliminate any reason for family or companions. There is no point in training them, there is no point in equipping them. They will all be dead within a few battles anyway. I spent a hundred or more battles training my family and companions and with one update they are all dead now except one.

I also want to point out that this change makes other game limitations more glaring. If you have companions or family leading parties in your army, they can be automatically be assigned to lead groups of troops. If they happen to be cavalry, they can get assigned to lead archers or infantry. What happens then is when you advance the troops, they trot out ahead and being far in front, become the first target and get shot full of arrows. I suppose you could also end up with an archer companion leading cavalry which would be just as bad. The various game mechanics are simply not good enough to allow a family and companion death option.

I also want to point out that this change makes other game limitations more glaring. If you have companions or family leading parties in your army, they can be automatically be assigned to lead groups of troops. If they happen to be cavalry, they can get assigned to lead archers or infantry. What happens then is when you advance the troops, they trot out ahead and being far in front, become the first target and get shot full of arrows. I suppose you could also end up with an archer companion leading cavalry which would be just as bad. The various game mechanics are simply not good enough to allow a family and companion death option.

Yeah I don't like the companion death mechanic either. One thing I noticed is that heroes can only die if you are actually playing the battle, simulated battles don't lead to hero death. Which on the one hand means that you can savescum if a companion of yours dies in battle, which I do; on the other hand all those battles that are fought on the map can not kill heroes. So only the battles you are part of kill heroes. This feels really incomplete.

The other thing you mentioned: if a non-infantry companion gets assigned to lead an infantry formation, just press f3 f3 on the beginning to dismount the hero. They will act like a normal troop of that formation now.

Hi, I will mark the issue as resolved. If you encounter the same one in the latest version, please let me know. Thanks!

Agree this can be closed although I am still not sure just how the whole thing works. I have birth/death set at 50% I think and have never had any companion die ever. So I am not sure what 50% means, maybe I will try Normal to see what that is like.

Back
Top Bottom