Siege Battles and Siege AI

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm sorry for those who have seen my recent posts but holy crap do the siege battles need a massive re-work. AI troops are constantly getting stuck at the bottom of the siege towers, they refuse to climb up the regular ladders and the defending AI always gets on top of the towers (siege) and starts knocking off the attacking troops. Currently the only way to play a siege battle is to destroy the two walls and then just charge through.

Devs, I'm literally begging you, please fix this...

I completely agree, I have to keep commanding troops "follow me" to pull them back a little bit, "all attack" and charge again, this will help a little, but still many troops will stuck or just stand there and don't know what they are doing.

Of interest: It's something to do with those ladders, likely the fact it involves climbing. Seige battles using towers that consist of the ramps instead of the ladders work extremely well. They simply need to find a way to make the larger towers use the same system

Of interest: It's something to do with those ladders, likely the fact it involves climbing. Seige battles using towers that consist of the ramps instead of the ladders work extremely well. They simply need to find a way to make the larger towers use the same system
The ladders work fine, If I remember correctly it's the maps navmesh that causes dodgy Ai pathing leading to the massive clunk up at the bottom of ladders. Something along those lines.

The ladders work fine, If I remember correctly it's the maps navmesh that causes dodgy Ai pathing leading to the massive clunk up at the bottom of ladders. Something along those lines.
What i think happens is since there is an 'event" necessary to allow a troop to grab on to the ladder, the issue is that you can have a group run up to the tower, and it's not neccesarily the closest soldier that gets told to grab on next, but because they're all clumped up the one with the order to do it isn't able to reach the ladder to "activate" and grab. It's why the whole group basically wiggles as the ones with the orders are trying to get close.

It explains too why the ramp ones have no problems: There is no activation event, the nav mesh simply connects the nav mesh on the ground to the tower, and off they go.

I noticed a.i get stuck between wall amd tower still at times. As long as they can get out its not an issue, but its not 100%

I avoid siege towers at all costs because it takes such a ridiculous amount of casualties. So for the time being im stuck with the tactic of destroying the walls or attack only with ladders and battering ram...

Yhea sieges are a mess...

Had to retreat from a siege i had won because AI got stuck in a wall.

My archers would just run to the wall and stand there being peppered by arrows and not reacting.highest level archers would just stand behind barricades and do nothing while militia ai archer headshot them from afar.

Ladders and towers (with ladders) are just borked.

The siege engines do seem better tough. I've had some fun with .5 and .6 but I'll wait some more before starting a new campaign.

Lol have you even been playing the same game as everyone else?
It's not completely horrible, but it cant be left on its own. In all honest there is little for the AI to do that would truly minimize losses so the various sergeants bassicaly give charge orders.

Places though where its obvious is stuff like seige engines. I had all my forces up by a wall while im back at the trebuchet knocking off crennelations, and every time my rock loader got killed, instead of the soldier standing right next to me stepping up to load, I see way off at the castle wall a soldier come running back to load the rock.

There does need to be a way to tell the npcs what not to do, like not raising the ladders to be shot down, not running off to the archer stand that they get shot behind anyways. And the seige engines need a methodical and controlled way of getting people on them such as the towers.

Most of the issues are really pathfinding I suppose.

Most of the issues are really pathfinding I suppose.
Yes 99% of siege issues come down to path finding. Try following soldiers around and see how many get stuck on terrain. Or try this as an attacker edge up to someone firing defensive siege engines and as they come up to you back peddle and watch how they run back to their original position. It boggles my mind that no one at TW can figure out how to fix this crap. :facepalm:

Warbands siege AI was also really wonky and horrible at times (Remember when you could backdoor an entire infantry line and none of them would turn around?). The main reason why they seemed to "work more" is because of the scale of the maps (Being much smaller) and the fact that siege weapons were either ladders or massive walkable siege towers, which was WAY easy to make a navmesh for. But we still could enjoy the whole experience despite this, which I feel is the same for Bannerlord.

Bannerlords siege AI and navmesh is much better with them using other types of siege weapons and cover whilst constantly running around trying to suppliment different areas of the map. The main issue is that the navmeshes on a number of maps doesn't tell the AI that "There are 3 ladders on this siege tower", but instead it tells them that "This ladder on the tower is the fastest and best way", which leads all of your troops to try to go up that ladder. Some Siege maps I have noticed that they use 2 ladders, but the third one is always accidental and the AI tends to actually walk off the third ladder to get to the "quicker and better ladder(s)" according to the navmesh.

I hope that now with snowballing not being a major issue anymore, that they can finally revisit all their siege maps navmeshes and rework how their maps tells their AI on how to navigate walls and ESPECIALLY Siege tower ladders. That's where I've personally noticed the most amount of issues when it comes to the AI. Once they're off the walls and is running around, they tend to easily navigate the city/castle. After they have mostly fixed most/all of them, then they can add in more city/castle maps.

I also know that you guys are scared that the "Early access period is almost over". Yet, you do know they can just extend that period or just fix up as much as they can right now and you know...Just keep fixing and adding in content post launch? :razz:

If we all enjoyed Warband so much even with it's sometimes wonky sieges. I think we can still enjoy Bannerlord with it's currently wonky sieges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom