So,is it known if TW plan to make villages 'upgradable'?

Users who are viewing this thread

The basic target of that 4-slot design was giving player feeling of owning that village. He/she could even decide building a castle near it or player does not bother with a castle and focus on increasing production if that village is at safe zones. Of course building a castle was a very long process. This design gives player feeling of owning that village and player have a better connection with that village. Even when you walk around its scene you feel better in that scenario.

The basic target of that 4-slot design was giving player feeling of owning that village. He/she could even decide building a castle near it or player does not bother with a castle and focus on increasing production if that village is at safe zones. Of course building a castle was a very long process. This design gives player feeling of owning that village and player have a better connection with that village. Even when you walk around its scene you feel better in that scenario.

I mean, that sounds very reasonable to me. Shame it didn't make it in. Perhaps ther is still some room to take the basic thought of having a choice of high-impact, longer term projects added to the castle/village improvement choices.

I would steal from viking conquest. Although that ran into the same problem that fief upgrades have now, which is after so long every project is finished. Maybe villages could have a selection of daily defaults like towns that could give small bonuses to either production, militia, or hearth. Let the player/ai choose which one they want?

I think projects should have the possibility of being burned down during raids (or even an option to raid + burn which takes longer but has a greater effect).

So a fully built village could generate a lot of income, be protected by a palisade and potentially spawn little militia patrols... But they could also become top targets for enemy raiding parties - targeting them to ruin the economy/influence of strong enemy lords. (plus something else to spend late game money on).

I think projects should have the possibility of being burned down during raids (or even an option to raid + burn which takes longer but has a greater effect).

So a fully built village could generate a lot of income, be protected by a palisade and potentially spawn little militia patrols... But they could also become top targets for enemy raiding parties - targeting them to ruin the economy/influence of strong enemy lords. (plus something else to spend late game money on).
+1
Rebuild structures-projects after siege/raid would be a wonderful way to sink money in mid-late game. As a few have commented about, razing settlements is a good option to future implementation.

+1
Rebuild structures-projects after siege/raid would be a wonderful way to sink money in mid-late game. As a few have commented about, razing settlements is a good option to future implementation.
Yep I'd definitely prefer that as well.

Currently what I see from youtube and twitch playthroughs player mostly suffer from enemy raids. It can be good to add projects also to villages or castle projects which effects its villages. Some can make them raid harder or increase militia of villages for example. I am not decider at these issues. Can think a solution and suggest it but do not know if it is accepted. I give less probability.
Any types of option for villages would be welcomed! Being able to build up their militia would be especially good. I often fins a situation where there are many extra small enemy parties that are too persistent. I would love to see them locked up in the barn by the farmers! I would also like to be able to change some productions, but I bet that would be unbalancing.

I don't know who that guy raiding Atrion with 4 guys thinks he is, but I wish the famers would run him over with a mule!

Actually that 4 slots around villages were my design idea. First it is added and they remained in game since 2016s (can be 2015-2017 too not sure) then removed. In that design castles were also a project which can be built at one of these 4 slots. Even we had icons for castle construction. There were no alone castles at map. Main settlements were only vilages and towns. If you build one castle to one of village’s slots you cannot build another castle to other slots of village of course. If slot is at sea there can be only fish production at that slot.

This design removed at one point. I do not remember reason. I accept it was a bit detailed maybe it could make things harder. I drawed that design on paper actually. If I can find its drawing on paper tomorrow at office I will share it.

After now this cannot be case imo even for mods. Its nearly totally different design.

My hearth is breaking reading this.This was THE LITTERAL NUMBER 1 THING COMMUNITY WANTED FOR BANNERLORD TO BE a HUGE UPGRADE to what was in Warband when it comes to building up from your small village that you owned all up to your first personal self made castle.

Damn this is realy DISSAPOINTING,FRUSTRAITING AND SAD EXTREMLY SAD.

Mexxico, I understand that, but can we at least get some kind of village development? The way it is now is just too bland. It would be great if we could do more interactions with villages. The game is just simplified in too many ways and it is no longer "Simple to understand, but complex to master" and is more like "Simple to understand and simple to master with little depth".

Sadly from GREATNESS ALL Bannerlord became is MOBILE THE GAME BLUNDERBUST.

My hearth is breaking reading this.This was THE LITTERAL NUMBER 1 THING COMMUNITY WANTED FOR BANNERLORD TO BE a HUGE UPGRADE to what was in Warband when it comes to building up from your small village that you owned all up to your first personal self made castle.

Damn this is realy DISSAPOINTING,FRUSTRAITING AND SAD EXTREMLY SAD.

Sadly from GREATNESS ALL Bannerlord became is MOBILE THE GAME BLUNDERBUST.

Still Bannerlord is a good game. I see too much critisism but even these features are removed still we have a good and detailed game. Its not perfect of course and will not be a game with 95+ rating but also it does not deserve that much critisism. I was ok when I learnt that feature is removed did not resist much because its understandable, this was a risky design. Has great potential but hard to implement for a small-medium studio. My preference was that design of course however current design is good too only needs some more work especially for castles.

Still Bannerlord is a good game. I see too much critisism but even these features are removed still we have a good and detailed game. Its not perfect of course and will not be a game with 95+ rating but also it does not deserve that much critisism. I was ok when I learnt that feature is removed did not resist much because its understandable, this was a risky design. Has great potential but hard to implement for a small-medium studio. My preference was that design however current design is good too only needs some more work.
At this point, all I'm asking for is some features and more and for the mods to come later. But mainly I ask for a stable game. Regarding the missing features, the same will happen that is happening with Warband, the mods will fix and add everything that the native game does not have or lacks. Although I admit that I would love the option of being able to build palisades in the villages and some defenses in Bannerlord

I liked the idea of deciding what things the village will produce over time and maybe add some stockades. Some other typical buildings like a windmill are missing as well. I like the idea of getting a village as fief so feeling a bit like a baron. Maybe have a small estate or fortified house where to place a small garrision like 30, stash and then add some things like a smithy, windmill and an UI that can tell your villagers to which settlement to go and deliver goods. Maybe add some lawspeaking issues where two villagers have a quarrel about something and you use persuation to speak law. A village should be the first thing granted to a new vassal anyways. Higher rewards should be earned. As it stands, villages are undefended somethings that get plundered regularly and are an annoyance since you cannot intercept raiders quickly enough before they put everything to the torch again - no fun. Yet they generate some small gold for you but do nothing else - yay.

Still Bannerlord is a good game. I see too much critisism but even these features are removed still we have a good and detailed game. Its not perfect of course and will not be a game with 95+ rating but also it does not deserve that much critisism. I was ok when I learnt that feature is removed did not resist much because its understandable, this was a risky design. Has great potential but hard to implement for a small-medium studio. My preference was that design of course however current design is good too only needs some more work especially for castles.
Dont get me wrong i still think B is good game just extremly shallow/stripped down version than what Warband was (imo) and way to easy/quick like mobile game and not long as Warband.
Everything feels so on silver plate and like everything needs to happen in first 1-3h of gameplay from becoming the vassal to getting the castle to going to huge war.Everything feels sorta rushed.

What im trying to say is that Warband outdated as it was,clunky as it was,grindy as it was,problematic as it was it still had a soul while Bannerlord feels like posh aristocrat with fake jewerly,jaw held high all covered in rosey perfume,glitter and good looks yet inside is shallow as a dead tree lost the soul it once had while still to extent preserving its identity.

The scrapped design sounds great but that feeling of owning and investing in villages can still be created with the current system even without upgrading to castles. It's just that there's no way of doing that atm. The 'irrigation' project doesn't make you feel like you're doing anything. Even simple mods which add a few options to villages like investing in land, helping build houses, other little things, make villages feel a bit more valuable.

The scrapped design sounds great but that feeling of owning and investing in villages can still be created with the current system even without upgrading to castles. It's just that there's no way of doing that atm. The 'irrigation' project doesn't make you feel like you're doing anything. Even simple mods which add a few options to villages like investing in land, helping build houses, other little things, make villages feel a bit more valuable.
Yeah 1212 Anno Domini mod nailed that with building your own mannor,then slowly investing and building it to become big town that prospers.Yes it had bugs and problems when it came to that department but it was still extremly well done.
It gave Player to want to earn money and want to invest.It made player care,it made player go on and beyond t get the funding to max its mannor and go back and defend it even sometimes when you were in the middle of campagin.It added huge amout of roleplay,care,need to care,be mroe responsible for things,made game be longer and enjoyable due to having lost of stuff to do while in piece time and so on.

So far what I'm observing from other players is that they all want to see some form of the visual effect of their choices. I'm wondering the specifics of old design by mexxico but I think it's still possible to somehow visually improve the current look as well. Villages should be customizable properly and for both castles and villages, it would be better to add visual stuff into the campaign map connected to what you do for castle/village. I.e. did you built granary? Add a small mill icon on somewhere of around it. Did you upgrade the walls? Upgrade the walls visually in map icon as well ( and also in siege battles - as far as I know this feature is inside somewhere in the game ) Even this gives some form of a feeling that what you are doing is "changing" something. And this would also show if AI is actually doing what we do -because currently we have no way of knowing this.

So far what I'm observing from other players is that they all want to see some form of the visual effect of their choices. I'm wondering the specifics of old design by mexxico but I think it's still possible to somehow visually improve the current look as well. Villages should be customizable properly and for both castles and villages, it would be better to add visual stuff into the campaign map connected to what you do for castle/village. I.e. did you built granary? Add a small mill icon on somewhere of around it. Did you upgrade the walls? Upgrade the walls visually in map icon as well ( and also in siege battles - as far as I know this feature is inside somewhere in the game ) Even this gives some form of a feeling that what you are doing is "changing" something. And this would also show if AI is actually doing what we do -because currently we have no way of knowing this.

Agreed, as is right now, the whole game is a campaign map (battles) with menus. It's an empty shell.

I like the game a lot, but the reality is that it is the same repetitive thing over and over. The wars are plain ridiculous and never stop, which in my opinion is just dumb. I hate to see so many castles/towns be taken and weird mish mosh of symbols all over the map because of the places taken/lost in random parts of the map. That isn't usually how such wars happen. I literally have to use the cheats to make everyone be mostly at peace with occasional wars just to stop the insanity.

I think the pace is so fast and by the time I am relatively strong enough to affect change in the world myself, there is too much lost or going on that it just becomes annoying. I don't want that by the time I take over as my heir, that 1 or 2 countries is conquering the world. I don't like that by the time I am ready to be a vassal that my choices are limited because almost all the countries suck and keep losing wars lol. Also, why aren't their more things that you can do with your clan? You guys introduces such an awesome feature (i love the clans and everything) but there is such little interaction/immersion/roleplay elements involved with my clan. It should be much more significant.

Basically, I just want more things to do other than only fighting. Don't get me wrong, I love the fighting and I think it is much better than warband, but it eventually gets boring. What else is there to do? Trade? That is even more boring, I just run up and down the map trading the same few things (fish, or horses or something lol). I want more role play things to do, more interesting interactions with kingdoms/clans/fiefs/whatever. Anything that makes me feel more attached to the world I am playing in.

In Viking Conquest, the trading didn't bore me much, but maybe that was because I could do it by land or by sea which was cool.

Last edited:

I think what people are trying to say is we don't desire or want a 'risky design' (even though that might be cool).

Players would just be happy if villages had some of the upgrade options for villages that Warband had. I mean Warband is ancient now.
To match the functionality of an old game like that surely can't be too hard?

Anyway, thanks for your engagement and replies as ever, Mexxico.

Back
Top Bottom