For both immersion's sake AND the gameplay... no XP for slaughtering shattered soldiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

You really shouldn't be getting any weapon or any experience (maybe roguery?) for chasing after and slaughtering the retreating soldiers who never fight back at all. And the group that retreats should disappear from the map, as they melt way into the hills, so to speak. So there's no regrouping of 1-2 dudes who suddenly feel brave enough ten minutes later to face your fully reorganized army?

Nah.

In an earlier version, didn't the retreating soldiers sometimes turn and fight back if you were chasing them? Where did that mechanic disappear? And why?

My only gripe is that there chance of volunteering doesn't reset when they rout, meaning they still will fight if you re-engage them instead of joining like a small bandit party usually will. The exp is important for leveling troops and it's a pretty BS move that they rout so early sometimes.

Personally happy for a chance for risk free combat xp for companions and if you want to have a chance to capture them you need to run them down so why not give some XP for it as it can feel like a bit of a chore when they scatter so quickly in some battles.
That said I do find the implementation a little odd as they don't let the player have a chance to flee and escape by running off the field so why should the AI be allowed to, I'd rather one rule for both.

You really shouldn't be getting any weapon or any experience (maybe roguery?) for chasing after and slaughtering the retreating soldiers who never fight back at all. And the group that retreats should disappear from the map, as they melt way into the hills, so to speak. So there's no regrouping of 1-2 dudes who suddenly feel brave enough ten minutes later to face your fully reorganized army?

Nah.
If I can miss a living target and only have a limited amount of time to down them, then absolutely there should be XP.

This may be one of the weirdest asks I’ve seen yet. Doesn’t this also modify things like merciful and such? So there’s repercussions for you doing it, so no point in changing this. It’s 100% practical, limited, target practice

Not in vanilla and not in Warband either. That was a mod.

Might perhaps be they're confusing enemies which have been ordered to retreat or withdraw - which does occasionally happen (but not enough). When they are ordered to withdraw, soldiers will defend themselves.

Can be a bit messy because usually when an enemy is retreating, half their army is also broken and fleeing. I do remember an instance or two when I've been casually mopping up thinking an army has broken only to receive a pilum in the face from a retreating legionary.

If I can miss a living target and only have a limited amount of time to down them, then absolutely there should be XP.

This may be one of the weirdest asks I’ve seen yet. Doesn’t this also modify things like merciful and such? So there’s repercussions for you doing it, so no point in changing this. It’s 100% practical, limited, target practice

I haven't taken on any personality problems from being unmerciful. My personality in the game is still "developing." Same for my companion- no changes. What gives?

Nah.
But XP already grows way too slow, that's the one thing that should not get any nerfing at all

You really shouldn't be getting any weapon or any experience (maybe roguery?) for chasing after and slaughtering the retreating soldiers who never fight back at all.
Are you suggesting that T4-T5 units shouldn't get any experience from slaughtering looters or recruits as well?

That's actually a very good idea
Don't think so, in RL most action a veteran/household warrior would see when there was peace was guard duty, patrols and minor skirmishes with criminals and such but they trained hard to keep in shape noneless, fighting experience is fighting experience.

Imagine playing without the "Fight to the death" mod. Morale is so broken in this game it's not worthwhile to even develop it further imo, 50 troops vs 50 troops and 35 troops abandon the fight what kind of nonsense is that. Highly recommend fight to the death as it makes battles last longer.

I think the real issue here, is that once you manage to catch up with the retreated soldiers (which should still be possible, but there should be more ground to cover to reach them), they should surrender unconditionally, so there wouldn't be any need to fight them, and thus no experience to be earned.
Adds to the immersion too, as nobody in their right state of mind would try to fight as two looters against an army.
Player should still have of course the option to slaughter them if they feel so inclined (and bored I may add).

Back
Top Bottom