Playing Infantry still feels like ****

Users who are viewing this thread

You feel slow
Cavalry surround you from everywhere
Archers hits you for WAY too much damage and run away from you
Annoying glancing blows
TDM still garbage with poor spawning system
The meta is just spamming hits and the player with fastest weapon wins.
Class system is still trash, infantry players are forced into peasant classes even with 50/50 KDR
Literally 75% of the players in the game arent playing infantry so you just run at archers while dodging arrows and cavalry charges
Why play infantry when Archers and Cavalry are 10x more rewarding ?
Nobody in skirmish nor in siege at 7h30 pm NA east.
Like for christ sake are you gonna watch the game burn until its cinders ?

Last edited:
Archers feel like there needs to be specific game mechanics in place to hard counter them, and as for Cavalry, I find that spears are a solid counter to mounted units. Also keep in mind that throwing spears are usually available for low-priced infantry and can generally ruin the life of an elite class.

All in all the game got better last patch, still alot of issues, but atleast its inching the right way. Still took a long time to get the patch out but oh well.

Archers feel like there needs to be specific game mechanics in place to hard counter them, and as for Cavalry, I find that spears are a solid counter to mounted units. Also keep in mind that throwing spears are usually available for low-priced infantry and can generally ruin the life of an elite class.
With throwing weapons being nerfed, we'll be seing more spears in play now, so cavalry should be feeling some pain. We just need players to get used to stopping horses now with a bigger stick.

You feel slow
Annoying glancing blows
Class system is still trash, infantry players are forced into peasant classes even with 50/50 KDR
Literally 75% of the players in the game arent playing infantry so you just run at archers while dodging arrows and cavalry charges
Your 5th point being fixed would also solve the first 3 imo. Cav and archers materializing behind you is a big reason why infantry is so unrewarding on TDM. The class is meant to help hold the line and be an anchor but there is no line because people are just randomly materializing everywhere. Archers and cavalry are both “flank” classes, and both are able to flank without needing to do anything due to the way spawns are set up.

I agree with the post, but it’s more a rant about TDM and it’s problems than infantry. Pretty much everything you are attributing to infantry is really a problem with how TDM is set up right now.

Throwing spears will still be the way to go, they dont do quite the same damage, but they can still 1 shot anyone with a headshot and drop horses with a single throw, not to mention they have higher base damage than most spears when used as a spear.

if the idea of "counter" means:
hold your right mouse button and spin(infs);
jumping around in a narrow space(cavs);
endure the inaccurate aim cursor(archers)

For sure as an action game, the gameplay has a long way to go before we start to do the balancing.

Your 5th point being fixed would also solve the first 3 imo. Cav and archers materializing behind you is a big reason why infantry is so unrewarding on TDM. The class is meant to help hold the line and be an anchor but there is no line because people are just randomly materializing everywhere. Archers and cavalry are both “flank” classes, and both are able to flank without needing to do anything due to the way spawns are set up.

I agree with the post, but it’s more a rant about TDM and it’s problems than infantry. Pretty much everything you are attributing to infantry is really a problem with how TDM is set up right now.

I feel this so much. It won't magically fix all of those problems, but the spawn system is a huge issue that needs to be fixed/redesigned. On the time zone that I'm usually on, TDM is the most popular mode too, but I'm sure just about everyone that plays it would prefer something better. On the flip side of enemies respawning behind you, it can be just as bad when you splash out your gold for a good class just to spawn within the ranks of an enemy horde.

If you can't make a working, fun TDM mode then you'll struggle creating a good experience on any other mode if you ask me :razz:

I don’t see why people take tdm seriously. Kills, deaths, wins, don’t count in ur stats. It’s literally just a manual block practice till u get shot to **** by archers and then get t bagged by bad two handers TW themselves know this mode won’t be fixed anytime soon hence the reason why stats don’t actually effect anything

Yeah as shown by the amount of players in the game, the gameplay is absolutely fine. Inf are garbage and nobody plays them.

The game has a low population due to a variety of reasons, not like Archers and Cav are constantly praising it.

What do you want inf to be? They have good movement, great armour, wide selection of weapons and classes. They're the best melee and even with the throwing nerf can do great damage, accurately, at a medium range. Everything you describe - being vulnerable to ranged and cav - is a basic function of the class, because they ultimately need to be close to opponents. That's what inf do. You're not asking for inf to be improved, you're asking for everything else to be removed.

Even in TDM they are fine, I played a TDM game as sword and shield inf just before and had like a 5.0 KD, it's not hard to do well there, you just won't be at the very top of the scoreboard because cav and 2h spammers can out DPS you.

The game has a low population due to a variety of reasons, not like Archers and Cav are constantly praising it.

What do you want inf to be? They have good movement, great armour, wide selection of weapons and classes. They're the best melee and even with the throwing nerf can do great damage, accurately, at a medium range. Everything you describe - being vulnerable to ranged and cav - is a basic function of the class, because they ultimately need to be close to opponents. That's what inf do. You're not asking for inf to be improved, you're asking for everything else to be removed.

Even in TDM they are fine, I played a TDM game as sword and shield inf just before and had like a 5.0 KD, it's not hard to do well there, you just won't be at the very top of the scoreboard because cav and 2h spammers can out DPS you.

What doesnt help is that these TDM maps are OBVIOUSLY made by someone that has picture of horses and robin hood on their walls in front of their beds.

Well inf excel in situations with more objectives as they're meant for holding an area or blocking off chokepoints. The maps in TDM are pretty open but it'll never be great for inf, unless the spawns were always on one side of the map for each team (which might be fun!)

I don’t see why people take tdm seriously. Kills, deaths, wins, don’t count in ur stats. It’s literally just a manual block practice till u get shot to **** by archers and then get t bagged by bad two handers TW themselves know this mode won’t be fixed anytime soon hence the reason why stats don’t actually effect anything

I don't think anyone takes it seriously, especially in its current state. But that's why we're hoping they can fix it up into something better, because it's such a staple game-mode and the easiest to just pop in and out of, and also probably the closest you can get to large scale battles besides Siege.

If anyone is taking their kill/death/win stats seriously in the state the game currently is, regardless of mode, that's kinda cringey.

You feel slow
Annoying glancing blows

Annoying glancing blows
Yes, Spears are still completely useless unless you have a big speed bonus. Playing Spear aginst 2handed cav and getting only glances while the enemy just onehits you is incredibly frustrating. Playing any swinging weapon against 2handed cav to get stuck on the horse and get one hit is also really frustrating.
Add to that that blocking is not an option to win because then the cav will just insta-hop out of range befor you can strike back.
Together that means that you my be able to stop cavalry with a spear but you will never be able to punish a stopped cav player because even then they are still more dangerous to you than you are to them.

The adaptations that I think reasonable are as follows:
1. Improve spears so they are viable against cav in melee.
2. Let melee hits damage horse and rider alike so that the rider's swing is interruptet when his horse is hit.
Even even when inf stopps a charge for massive damage against the horse it still happens often enough that the rider is close enough to you and still ends up one hitting you without any possibility to defend in time. The only way to prevent that is either to kill the horse (wich almost never happens because they are incredibly tanky) or to aim carefully around the horse to hit the rider instead. This puts difficulty onesidedly on the side of the inf as the rider does not need to take any care whether he hits his own horse.
3. Reduce swing arc for 2handed cav so he only deals damage on one side of the horse.
In real life a rider who swings wide enough to hit footmen on both sides of his horse would first chop his horses head off. In Bannerlord however I see that happening regularly and it denies the inf even the defense of positioning itself in a good angle to the rider.

I have yet to comprehend how the gold system works in TDM. Yesterday I had a round where I made 3 kills in my first life and still could not afford the 120 gold to play anything other than peasant.

Back
Top Bottom