The State of Immersion (or lack there-of)

Users who are viewing this thread

Great post it actually kind of makes me want to reinstall warband I really forgot how much immersion we are missing.
I tried that. Now I just can't go back to warband since I've seen what can be in terms of graphics etc. But I can't play bannerlord either because I've also seen warband with mods. Endless loop of not being able to play either game. DO NOT INSTALL WARBAND, you will see what you are missing in bannerlord, and you will be in this loop too.

I tried that. Now I just can't go back to warband since I've seen what can be in terms of graphics etc. But I can't play bannerlord either because I've also seen warband with mods. Endless loop of not being able to play either game. DO NOT INSTALL WARBAND, you will see what you are missing in bannerlord, and you will be in this loop too.
Lmao

I recently put in about 20 hours into AWoIaF mod and while I can live with the visuals, I realized how slow and the combat was and how janky the animations were comparied to BL. It was the one thing that got me to stop playing.

I'm sure we've been told that a lot of these missing features and mechanics, as well as formerly planned ones, were removed or scrapped because they'd be too complicated. I feel like mods are going to be the only way a lot of this sort of thing makes it in... unless they do plan to continually add to the game and not stop once it's 'fully released'.

I was struck from the beginning by the fact that after help in battle assist there was no scene of gratitude from the Lord in question; there was no rise in relation to this type of action.

There are two mods that should be part of the Native game already. Healthy Relationships and Fighting Together Relationship.

Here is a summary of the first one:

"Here is the summery of the first one" proceeds to show a duck thumbnail.
Seriously tough, checked the mods and will definetely be on my mod list when i actually start using those, so thanks!

I was struck from the beginning by the fact that after help in battle assist there was no scene of gratitude from the Lord in question; there was no rise in relation to this type of action.

There are two mods that should be part of the Native game already. Healthy Relationships and Fighting Together Relationship.

Here is a summary of the first one:

I actually made the first mod, what a coincidence :smile: It's currently out-dated though

Armour Effectiveness/Feel
  • For context, I play with all realistic settings. I couldn't help but feel like as I acquired better and better armor, that it really didn't make much of a difference. Looters were throwing pebbles at me, taking a sizable chunk of my health with some of the most top-tier pieces of armor in the game. The game feels like it caters more towards quantity rather than quality when it comes to armies. In Warband, if I had a small band of elite tier troops, you bet your ass I could take on more enemies than usual. You could feel the difference so much more in Warband as you acquired better gear or upgraded your troops to the higher tiers. Armor also feels quite same-y, when you strike someone in full plate, it feels exactly the same as when I hit someone in leather. In Warband, when you try to swing a sword at full plate, they feel tanky and clanky.

Thank you.
Taleworlds needs to fix this.

Armour Effectiveness/Feel
  • For context, I play with all realistic settings. I couldn't help but feel like as I acquired better and better armor, that it really didn't make much of a difference. Looters were throwing pebbles at me, taking a sizable chunk of my health with some of the most top-tier pieces of armor in the game. The game feels like it caters more towards quantity rather than quality when it comes to armies. In Warband, if I had a small band of elite tier troops, you bet your ass I could take on more enemies than usual. You could feel the difference so much more in Warband as you acquired better gear or upgraded your troops to the higher tiers. Armor also feels quite same-y, when you strike someone in full plate, it feels exactly the same as when I hit someone in leather. In Warband, when you try to swing a sword at full plate, they feel tanky and clanky.
Joint hurtboxes and armor hurtboxes: an armor system that provide a way to balance factions warfare and make more deep the combat system

Yeah I never really went on alot of feasts, I cant even remember why I hated them. But reading you comment makes me think they can become a quite awesome feature if expanded.

Probably for the same reason they annoyed me: they could cause a losing faction to get caught in a death spiral as losing fiefs meant losing relations with the ruler, so the ruler calls for a feast to restore relations, but the enemy uses that time to re-assemble and take another fief which repeats the cycle.

Edit: it was also that the actual implementation was running up to static agents and pressing talk for a +1 or +2 to relations. It didn't do much to immerse me because it was so ham fisted.

Last edited:
Probably for the same reason they annoyed me: they could cause a losing faction to get caught in a death spiral as losing fiefs meant losing relations with the ruler, so the ruler calls for a feast to restore relations, but the enemy uses that time to re-assemble and take another fief which repeats the cycle.
Exactly, you work hard to become marshall which is close to impossible and gather a lot of swadian lords to siege some Nords... just for the d-ass Harlaus to throw a feast in his new Saranid fief and everyone leaves you... Ngl, it made me rage a bit, and never touched the Swadians again.

Great post,
agree almost with everything even the Marshal option
no one said Marshal supposed to be exactly like warband,
they could improve it & make it fun and immersive..

i always thought that "Warband" cosmetic & unfinished features would be implemented and getting improved in bannerlord
with extra more features.
but that didn't happened sadly and there is no news for it

Unfortunately BL has a different target audience then Warband, I totally agree with OP, but it seems like people nowadays don't really wanna think of strategies or build up relations with lords and so on, they just wanna jump in game and shoot something because of reasons....all that matters today are the graphics and ray tracing:wink:

Unfortunately BL has a different target audience then Warband, I totally agree with OP, but it seems like people nowadays don't really wanna think of strategies or build up relations with lords and so on, they just wanna jump in game and shoot something because of reasons....all that matters today are the graphics and ray tracing:wink:

Console game, that's why the game is simplistic and dull.

Console game, that's why the game is simplistic and dull.
Yep, that is where Excel says the money is....we are very outdated.
I started a new BL campaign after I just finished a Perisno campaign, it was so nice to see all my Perisno "buddies" again and meet new ones.... I mean, the difference in immersion is outstanding.

Yep, that is where Excel says the money is....we are very outdated.
I started a new BL campaign after I just finished a Perisno campaign, it was so nice to see all my Perisno "buddies" again and meet new ones.... I mean, the difference in immersion is outstanding.

Thats the thing though -normally one might think this would sting the Devs pride abit as basically saying -Mod X is 10 times the finished product as the Base game. Problem is -they are totally fine if not pleased with themselves at this result. They made a business decision -"Lets just upgrade the graphics engine graphics and accompanying animations, sell it as a blank canvas and again let these modders make individual themed-games that please the masses".

Its a shame as it would be nice for the Devs to want to match if not take those aspects to the next level themselves -but alas, this is where we at. Im guessing itll be similar to the mod team from Brtynwald creating the officially sanctioned Viking Conquest as they did basically next level (theme/story-wise) much of vanilla.

No need to worry guys! New patch will be coming out soon and with it all the bug fixes u could wish for! Just be grateful and don't die before this game is playable.

Back
Top Bottom