Users who are viewing this thread

I dont think Taleworlds will add any new faction, since they already have trouble balancing/managing those we have right now. Taleworlds is just too incompetent and we will have to wait for modders to deliver.
1.5.6 and 1.5.7 have showed much promise to fix the balance of the kingdoms. One is to fix their incomes and the next is to fix snowballing with rebellions

The world map is big enough, and more factions won't do the game no good imo. What's the point of having 17385949291 factions if in the end they all play the same but with different troop types? I don't get it

Having more smaller factions means wars happen on a smaller scale and the goals are smaller, meaning the player feels more involved in them rather than cleaning up the mess of 20 lords. My fondest memories of Warband are in Gekokujo and 1257AD where I was in a tiny faction surrounded by other tiny factions, there were only a handful of lords, and my contribution mattered a lot. A war might only involve 1 battle and a final siege, but I remember that way more than the 10000000000000000 other battles in native and other grindy mods where you spend the entire time whacking army after army to no effect.

Having more smaller factions means wars happen on a smaller scale and the goals are smaller, meaning the player feels more involved in them rather than cleaning up the mess of 20 lords. My fondest memories of Warband are in Gekokujo and 1257AD where I was in a tiny faction surrounded by other tiny factions, there were only a handful of lords, and my contribution mattered a lot. A war might only involve 1 battle and a final siege, but I remember that way more than the 10000000000000000 other battles in native and other grindy mods where you spend the entire time whacking army after army to no effect.
Mmm, I never liked those mods because of how big they were, but your approach is not bad

1.5.6 and 1.5.7 have showed much promise to fix the balance of the kingdoms. One is to fix their incomes and the next is to fix snowballing with rebellions
Ok cool, didnt happen yet and even if they fix it we would still have the same amount of factions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm, I never liked those mods because of how big they were, but your approach is not bad

I think the main problem with mods of this size is when they don't allow you to live in a less populated part of the map. The best thing about 1257AD was how you could be in a tiny insignificant faction while huge grindy wars were happening elsewhere which you could occasionally participate in before returning to your 2 settlement faction. It was cosy in a way, like how being indoors when it's rainy is 1000000x comfier than being indoors when it's dry.

Personally I hate the fact that there are only 6 factions in the game. It's extremely boring. I would much prefer there to be lots of smaller factions even if they're all duplicates of existing ones, so that you have a variety of differently sized states, each with a relatively small court of nobles that you can keep track of, and relatively small wars to fight, at least at the start. Having a 20 vs 20 lord brawl across an enormous messy frontier is never interesting to me, even though you get to fight more.

Exactly what i wanted. Something like in Brytenwalda.

BUT

The game is hard enough to balance right now,

Hit the nail in head.

And i also rly agree with
then there is the discussion of historical accuracy that pops up every time. In that regard there is a risk, that every form of implementation either falls into the trap of having rather pop culture like factions or that the game will be criticized by people because the faction does not meet their pop culture influenced exspectations.
Especially "Far east".

Also, as much as I like them, we do not need a far east faction in every game that somehow deals with medieval things.

Lastly, every faction added now, would be one absent in Warband - meaning they likely loose for some reason at some point in the 200 years. In contrast to the actual factions, there would be no trace of them.

I don't really like the idea of an Empire being divided into three factions. They are totally the same, including faction color.
I'd be rather glad changing one or two Empire factions on something rather different cultural-wise.
I'd go for another western culture tbh, but maybe more infantry oriented.

Also turkish faction would be an interesting option. Also balts, hungarians, spaniards, you name it.

And No, the devs will never add another faction.
Just pray for the mods, that's it.

I’m trying to think of the last time I’ve played a Dynasty Warriors game and complained I needed more Knights and Meso-American representation

Dynasty warriors is based on a historical novel with very clear limits and a clear subset of factions, while Bannerlord has literally no limits but they still decided to go with the same stereotypes that have been overdone for decades now.
Except for their previous game.

There is a commonality they both share: they’re history adjacent low fantasy. They aren’t meant to be “anything goes” environments. If you want nonsensical culture mixture, try For Honor.

Those sorts of things have their place.

But so do grounded history adjacent environments.

If you’re wanting something more fantastic, you’ve come to the wrong place, and these requests are flatly best left to mods, along with plate mail, war rhinos, goblins, and 50% females in the army

If you want nonsensical culture mixture

The base game already has cartoon Celts with Warhammer dwarf armour fighting against the Mongols, using weapons and armour that spans from the late bronze age to the 1600s. As much as the PR and press releases insist that the factions are based on real history, they are almost universally wrong. The actual 3D artists who were making this stuff say they didn't have any specific concepts to go on, and used Game of Thrones and other video games as inspiration, and it definitely shows. Even the press releases have changed multiple times what the inspiration is supposed to be.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a setting which is a mishmash, in fact I much prefer that to the uncanny valley we have now where it's partially inspired by history but only sometimes, but I just find it ridiculous when people bring up the "Bannerlord is based on the fall of the Western Roman Empire / Migration Period" line when there is not a single thing in the game that suggests that. It's just a bunch of mostly unrelated stuff that Armagan and the 3D art team thinks is cool.

The world map is big enough, and more factions won't do the game no good imo. What's the point of having 17385949291 factions if in the end they all play the same but with different troop types? I don't get it
Did you mean the world map is NOT big enough? Or did you actually mean its big enough?
Because if you ask me the map is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too small, you can travel from one end to the other in under 10 seconds.
The entire world map design is horrible aswell.
No streets, castles are placed at the most random locations instead of strategic places like a castle should be.
Thanks to no ships there won't be any cool island factions that could play completely different due to the fact that they were cut off from other civilisations etc.

The base game already has cartoon Celts with Warhammer dwarf armour fighting against the Mongols, using weapons and armour that spans from the late bronze age to the 1600s. As much as the PR and press releases insist that the factions are based on real history, they are almost universally wrong. The actual 3D artists who were making this stuff say they didn't have any specific concepts to go on, and used Game of Thrones and other video games as inspiration, and it definitely shows. Even the press releases have changed multiple times what the inspiration is supposed to be.
This is MASSIVELY overstated.

So much so it’s between a lie and a misrepresentation of the game.

It’s historically inspired from real peoples circling the Mediterranean and Europe from the 3rd to 11th Centuries. They all have extensive writes up. There is some filler used, but Turks are also a steppe people, were highly active in the area, and have been sighted as a huge inspiration for the Khuzait.

It’s dishonest in one breathe to complain about “stereotypical European factions” in one statement, then try to act like we have dwarves and elves running around so anything should be allowed

This is MASSIVELY overstated.

So much so it’s between a lie and a misrepresentation of the game.

aMwmFIr.jpg

3E0d5tggrBgBbzorIGYyQRjMqDCQZHSFsGS6ccFgFAE.png

dpofjzfhnuq41.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Mount-and-Blade-II-Bannerlord-Loot-Lord-Mod.jpeg

99391468.jpg

b8i5f2t9fve51.png

I'm not taking the piss here, I would be genuinely surprised if these armours were remotely based on anything that ever existed in the migration period. All I see is a mangling of stuff from the 1200s and onwards mixed with fantasy designs.

It’s dishonest in one breathe to complain about “stereotypical European factions” in one statement, then try to act like we have dwarves and elves running around so anything should be allowed

I should have clarified that these are two different gripes I have with the game: The "idea" for each faction is extremely generic and overdone, but the actual equipment is completely fantastical. I don't have an inherent problem with the latter, but the former makes it stick out like a sore thumb. And this thread is about making the "ideas" for each faction more diverse.

Back
Top Bottom