Smithing is broken

Users who are viewing this thread

10000.png

no words needed really.....

well........in fact I have words to say, I'm not against the fact that one "miraculous" craft can give you a super expensive item and + 20 in smithing, so please Taleworlds if you fix this, don't put a cap to make this impossible, just make it impossible to do it on command...

+ i have something else to say about smithing
the stamina bar is a bad idea to me because it encourages sleeping in towns for weeks checking your stamina bar, sleeping again, which is VERY boring, instead make the player move and fight to gather smithing resources and make them harder to find!
y not di fёst, y not di läst

We know. They know. They're working on it. It's a single player game. If you don't want to abuse it, don't abuse it.
This is never an excuse to have off kilter risk vs reward and effort vs outcome mechanics. THOSE metrics are what enriches the single player experience at the end of the day. Having one path that has lower risk and effort but higher reward and outcome only instituted the illusion of choice.

I honestly hope no one on the dev team has adopted this mindset

Eastern javelin cost is 27k . There are 4 in the stack , means 6.7k per each. So unit who carries eastern javelin have daily salary at around 10-15 coins . One thrown in grass javelin = around 600 salaries of this unit who throw this bloody javelin.

Why fight ? Let me give you "crafted javelin"

- How much for the Rhotae ?
- let me think. Let's say 20 "crafted javelin"
- Hold on. let me smelt 20 rotten wooden hammers and 20 rusty hatchets...

But seriously, not funny anymore, 9 month this bloody numbers not fix yet.

Then don't do it. Same reason you don't save scum or abuse the retreat button or anything else that makes the game boring for you.

This is never an excuse to have off kilter risk vs reward and effort vs outcome mechanics. THOSE metrics are what enriches the single player experience at the end of the day. Having one path that has lower risk and effort but higher reward and outcome only instituted the illusion of choice.

I honestly hope no one on the dev team has adopted this mindset
What mindset? They've said they're working on it. People can choose to believe them or not, but they've said for a while there's an overhaul to smithing in the works. The comment was about people complaining (in the 768th thread on the subject) that it breaks the game. It doesn't. Nobody forces you to do it, the AI isn't doing it and you can smith without exploiting it (don't smith anything with a difficulty beyond your skill level; which means nothing at all until you've smelted/refined upto at least 20 skill).

What mindset? They've said they're working on it. People can choose to believe them or not, but they've said for a while there's an overhaul to smithing in the works. The comment was about people complaining (in the 768th thread on the subject) that it breaks the game. It doesn't. Nobody forces you to do it, the AI isn't doing it and you can smith without exploiting it (don't smith anything with a difficulty beyond your skill level; which means nothing at all until you've smelted/refined upto at least 20 skill).
The mindset of “its single player so balance doesn’t matter” excuse.

They know about it and are working on it is a completely different answer

Then don't do it. Same reason you don't save scum or abuse the retreat button or anything else that makes the game boring for you.
This is one of the worst arguments you can give. Players are always going to look for easy solutions that's something inherent by nature to humans. It trivializes one of the main themes of the game - making money and can destroy the economy which causes players get bored soon and stop playing, which is not something TW should not be striving for in an ea.

Not only does it do that but it bloats leveling and it floods the markets with crafted items even if you don't sell them. TW should've either put it on the shelf till it was in a working state or put in some stopgaps till finished. This isn't something that is a quick fix and we have no idea when it will be addressed. It's been a known problem for over 8 months. Saying don't use it and it won't be a problem isn't a solution. It's the equivalent of sticking your head in the ground just so you can't see the issue.

Read it again.

it says “It’s a single player game” as an excuse in the post
I wrote it, I don't need to read it again. "It's a single player game" means the AI isn't doing it, not an excuse for it being in the game. You're not competing against other players doing it. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. It wasn't an excuse - and the preceding comments (we know, they know, they're working on it) should make that clear. But whatever.

This is one of the worst arguments you can give. Players are always going to look for easy solutions that's something inherent by nature to humans. It trivializes one of the main themes of the game
LOL

Will you suggest they also remove the easier options like damage 1/3 received so you'll not feel inclined to use it or it will make you quit the game out of boredom?

LOL

Will you suggest they also remove the easier options like damage 1/3 received so you'll not feel inclined to use it or it will make you quit the game out of boredom?
Lower the difficulty =/= having game braking exploits left in for months. How the hell you made some that kind of logical jump is beyond me. Read the whole reply I wrote then come back and have a real discussion.

Stop being so obtuse it's literally the same thing. A you problem. No one is forcing you to turn on easy mode or exploit the game. Exploiting the smithing is the same thing as playing with cheats on and giving yourself money but with a higher time and effort requirement.

Stop being so obtuse it's literally the same thing. A you problem. No one is forcing you to turn on easy mode or exploit the game. Exploiting the smithing is the same thing as playing with cheats on and giving yourself money but with a higher time and effort requirement.
I don't use smithing because it completely ****s the game. But how is someone new to the game suppose to know that? Then they get a bad impression of the game and don't play again. What about people that like to smith? I guess they're just **** out of luck. :unsure: So many holes in your argument but I'm sure your going to come back with some witty reply about how wrong I am and that it's just me.

Stop being so obtuse it's literally the same thing. A you problem.
You should take your own advice.
Broken mechanism are not a "player" problem. Players are EXPECTED to use what the game provides.
If someone needs to go out of his way to exploit a mechanism, then yeah the argument might somewhat be made.
If someone needs to go out of his way NOT to exploit, then it's definitely a problem with the design.
Stop being an tool.

10000.png

no words needed really.....

well........in fact I have words to say, I'm not against the fact that one "miraculous" craft can give you a super expensive item and + 20 in smithing, so please Taleworlds if you fix this, don't put a cap to make this impossible, just make it impossible to do it on command...

+ i have something else to say about smithing
the stamina bar is a bad idea to me because it encourages sleeping in towns for weeks checking your stamina bar, sleeping again, which is VERY boring, instead make the player move and fight to gather smithing resources and make them harder to find!
SOON™

I don't use smithing because it completely ****s the game. But how is someone new to the game suppose to know that? Then they get a bad impression of the game and don't play again. What about people that like to smith? I guess they're just **** out of luck. :unsure: So many holes in your argument but I'm sure your going to come back with some witty reply about how wrong I am and that it's just me.

I'm not saying this shouldn't fix it because they really should. I'm saying since you are aware yourself of the bug you can choose not to sell those crafted javalins and just smelt/discard them away. If you are incapable of self restraint, that's on you.

I'm not saying this shouldn't fix it because they really should. I'm saying since you are aware yourself of the bug you can choose not to sell those crafted javalins and just smelt/discard them away. If you are incapable of self restraint, that's on you.

Yea but maybe you wanna use smithing to make money... How do you decide how much money is cheating and how much money is reasonable? It's hard to decide yourself... it should be something for the rules of the game to decide...

If a mechanic is in a game then it's expected that the player can and should be able to use it. It's not on the player to stop using mechanics in a game that the developers didn't address in a reasonable time. Now if this exploit was new, or very minor then I wouldn't care about it but as is it needs to be addressed by TW.
Even if I don't smelt those weapons there are two huge issues:
1) They still show up in item shops and bloat inventory and the same happens in tournaments.
2) It over levels any character who uses it and therefore slows down skill leveling for all other skills.
Those two reasons alone are a big enough issue that something should've been done about smithing. TW has been so concerned about other exploits which causes the player to make big sums of money but they've let this one go and it's very confusing why. They can't use the excuse of we'll deal with it time because it's been known for 9 months.

Back
Top Bottom