Users who are viewing this thread

I know this could be far after the game releases and you can add it with DLC and whatnot, but I believe two or more factions would be great.

Two suggestions:
1. A faction based on the military, cultural and societal aspects of kingdoms and empires of the Far East, namely China, Japan and Korea. There is a lot of material there.

2. A faction based on the the military, cultural and societal aspects of kingdoms and empires of Africa. There are some powerful Empires and Kingdoms in Africa's past that not only feature heavy units, but also light units. You could also include tribal light units, which would be amazing (with jungle maps even)

I don't know.... a lot of unga-bunga people wouldn't be able to stand up equipment wise to all the others currently in game. Far east? Fine (as long as they 'play' differently from the khuzait, and aren't just hafted-blade infantry spam).

Korea maybe.

Ps. re: Africa ah I was thinking of Sid Mieyers Civ. Well, if the African nations are somewhat like Carthage, and its neighbors at the time (don't remember the names of the others of the top of my head). I mean, the Jawal are somewhat close to subsarahans, and look black (war camels). Variety will come, whether through game devs or through mods.

Personally, I'm anticipating the Lord of the Rings mod (which will be great with the bannerlord battle mechanics).

Elves and orcs are a guarantee through some mod in the future though.

Before anyone gets pissy, 'unga-bunga' was a time period referring to the level of technology at the time of the locals.

+1 Agreed. Too much focus on European culture
The game is set in a direct equivalent to crumbling-Roman Empire settings. OBVIOUSLY it's going to focus on the cultures that were present there. Duh.
WTF is wrong with you people to whine about the very basis of the historical background that is fundamental to the game ? Are you going to complain that there is battles and you have to wield weapons too ?

(not to add, there is already Khuzait and Aserai, so already a full third of the factions aren't actually "Europeans", so your complaint isn't even adequate)

The game is set in a direct equivalent to crumbling-Roman Empire settings. OBVIOUSLY it's going to focus on the cultures that were present there. Duh.
WTF is wrong with you people to whine about the very basis of the historical background that is fundamental to the game ? Are you going to complain that there is battles and you have to wield weapons too ?

The Roman Empire was defined by the fact it held a lot more than Europe and treated the Mediterranean Sea as interior lines.

The crumbling Roman Empire had more holdings in Maghreb than they did in Wales or Scotland. The Roman Levant, culturally and politically distinct from Maghreb, was also more important than anything the Romans possessed in Europe outside of Italy. Anatolia, as well, is not in Europe and it was hugely important for the eastern half of the Empire. Despite that, we got a full and fleshed-out Battania in Bannerlord, while both Maghrebi and Levantine cultures were smashed together as Aserai and Anatolian culture was just given a mild nod but mostly ignored.

TW just put in factions they thought were cool, which is why we have the backstory to the game featuring Vikings, Normans and Welsh-Scots going out of their way to cause the Empire's decline, while the Empire had the equivalent of merchant-emirs and Mongols on their side.

Last edited:
The crumbling Roman Empire had more holdings in Maghreb than they did in Wales or Scotland. The Roman Levant, culturally and politically distinct from Maghreb, was also more important than anything the Romans possessed in Europe outside of Italy. Anatolia, as well, is not in Europe and it was hugely important for the eastern half of the Empire. Despite that, we got a full and fleshed-out Battania in Bannerlord, while both Maghrebi and Levantine cultures were smashed together as Aserai and Anatolian culture was just given a mild nod but mostly ignored.
You're just playing the Devil's Advocate with selective blindness here. Battania covers the entire Celtic world (basically all Western Europe), Vlandia the Germanic tribes (all Central Europe) and Sturgia the Viking/Norman invasions (all Northern Europe).
Magrheb, Levant, Anatolia were not different cultures anymore, they were just Roman, and that's covered by the three Calradic Empire factions (they might theme them a bit more by making the Southern more Greek, the Western more Latin and the Northern one more "civilized barbarian" to reflect the root of each, if one really wants more variety, but that'll still be "European" to whiners). Aserai are a mix of the Arabs and Persia, Kuzhait are the nomadic steppe people (Huns mainly). What main cultural group would be left that actually interacted with the Roman Empire ?

You're just playing the Devil's Advocate with selective blindness here. Battania covers the entire Celtic world (basically all Western Europe), Vlandia the Germanic tribes (all Central Europe) and Sturgia the Viking/Norman invasions (all Northern Europe).

Vlandians are the Normans: The Vlandians are based on the feudal states of early medieval Europe, in particular the Normans, the Norse raiders who settled in France then carved out kingdoms for themselves in England, Sicily, and the Holy Land.

Sturgians, Kievan Rus: The Sturgians are based on the federation of city-states known as Kievan Rus, located in today's Russia, Belarus and Ukraine.

Neither of them were involve in the fall of Rome.

Like I said, they weren't looking to real history for these factions. They just put stuff they thought was cool and fit in. There is no reason to limit the requests for new factions based on history. TW certainly didn't -- or else we'd be dealing with more like three separate and distinct steppe factions (Bulghars, Alans, Huns), at least two desert factions (Arabs and Berbers), and at least one peer opponent capable of cracking open the divided Empire like an egg if given the chance.

Last edited:
I think that there should maybe be one place sort of affiliated with each of the merc factions (one 'mercenary' settlement, an exclave). Perhaps with the chance to recruit some of their unique troops while also providing a bit more variety. I don't really care one way or another if more blacks are added to the game. But it might be nice though if there were a little variety within one of the regions of some factions .... and I think this might accomplish that. Asia IS indeed already represented along with the hafted blades as I mentioned.

There are:
- snow people
- steppe people
- sand people
- forest people
- default people (empire, I can only ever see them as the 'default' faction)
- crossbows & crusaders

Magrheb, Levant, Anatolia were not different cultures anymore, they were just Roman, and that's covered by the three Calradic Empire factions (they might theme them a bit more by making the Southern more Greek, the Western more Latin and the Northern one more "civilized barbarian" to reflect the root of each, if one really wants more variety, but that'll still be "European" to whiners). Aserai are a mix of the Arabs and Persia, Kuzhait are the nomadic steppe people (Huns mainly). What main cultural group would be left that actually interacted with the Roman Empire ?
Nubia and aksum, and somalia.
They also had significant trade relations with india

If they add Asian factions in, I pray they don't just slap dash China/Korea/Japan haphazardly. Or at the very least, they keep samurai to a low minimum.

Adding new factions in would be fun and all, but it does become a question of how would they make them somewhat unique gameplay wise. Maybe the East Asia faction focus on strong anti cavalry infantry and crossbows, supported by elite mounted archers, while being devoid of throwing weapons? Dunno, just spitballing.

I think that there should maybe be one place sort of affiliated with each of the merc factions (one 'mercenary' settlement, an exclave). Perhaps with the chance to recruit some of their unique troops while also providing a bit more variety. I don't really care one way or another if more blacks are added to the game. But it might be nice though if there were a little variety within one of the regions of some factions .... and I think this might accomplish that. Asia IS indeed already represented along with the hafted blades as I mentioned.

There are:
- snow people
- steppe people
- sand people
- forest people
- default people (empire, I can only ever see them as the 'default' faction)
- crossbows & crusaders
I sort of went for something like that with my mod. Even made a unique 'Nahasa' subfaction for the Aserai.

2121-1605434668-98417395.jpeg

I dont think Taleworlds will add any new faction, since they already have trouble balancing/managing those we have right now. Taleworlds is just too incompetent and we will have to wait for modders to deliver.

Personally I hate the fact that there are only 6 factions in the game. It's extremely boring. I would much prefer there to be lots of smaller factions even if they're all duplicates of existing ones, so that you have a variety of differently sized states, each with a relatively small court of nobles that you can keep track of, and relatively small wars to fight, at least at the start. Having a 20 vs 20 lord brawl across an enormous messy frontier is never interesting to me, even though you get to fight more.

I don't know.... a lot of unga-bunga people wouldn't be able to stand up equipment wise to all the others currently in game.

bruh

Even if you were correct there are far less racist ways to say this. But the truth is that the period Bannerlord is supposed to be based on (the early middle ages) is a time when Subsaharan Africa was full of advanced states which had more local power and importance than anything in Europe at the time, and had been using iron weapons and armour since about 1500 BC. The climate change that led to declining state power in Europe and North Africa also led to a rise in state power in places closer to the equator like West Africa and the Great Lakes. There's a reason Africa was the last continent to be fully colonised, despite about 400 years of prior attempts.

Yes we need an Jawaal larger tribe :grin: But to be fair theres a lot of room on all sides. But for the west we need boats and pirates :wink:

Last edited:
The world map is big enough, and more factions won't do the game no good imo. What's the point of having 17385949291 factions if in the end they all play the same but with different troop types? I don't get it

Disagreement from me, aslong as we are talking about vanilla Bannerlord.

The game is hard enough to balance right now, then there is the discussion of historical accuracy that pops up every time. In that regard there is a risk, that every form of implementation either falls into the trap of having rather pop culture like factions or that the game will be criticized by people because the faction does not meet their pop culture influenced exspectations.
Especially "Far east".

Also, as much as I like them, we do not need a far east faction in every game that somehow deals with medieval things.

Lastly, every faction added now, would be one absent in Warband - meaning they likely loose for some reason at some point in the 200 years. In contrast to the actual factions, there would be no trace of them.

So I think, this is a task for modding.

Back
Top Bottom