How do I edit scripts?

Users who are viewing this thread

I was creating a sub mod for my favorite module "Paradigm Worlds". I ran into a problem where I'm trying to find the lines that are responsible for reducing the characters' attributes every doomsday cycle but all the scripting I'm reading consists almost entirely of undecipherable numbers. Does anyone know what I need to do in order for me to be able to understand and edit the module's script.txt file?

Solution
You need the module system of the mod you are making a submod for. The module system contains .py-files and no .txt-files. It's not really possible to edit the script.txt file itself and have everything still working.

Take a look at the Ultimate introduction to modding for how to get started with the Module System (given that you have the one of that mod): https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ion-to-modding-starting-out-read-this.240255/
You need the module system of the mod you are making a submod for. The module system contains .py-files and no .txt-files. It's not really possible to edit the script.txt file itself and have everything still working.

Take a look at the Ultimate introduction to modding for how to get started with the Module System (given that you have the one of that mod): https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ion-to-modding-starting-out-read-this.240255/

Upvote 0
Solution

I have downloaded Python 2.7. Now how do I open the application?

Edit 1: I've clicked on the python executable, but all I receive is a command prompt window. How can I edit the module with python?

I'm using notepad++ in order to edit the script.txt file. How do I decompile the numbers into something I could understand?

Edit 1: I now have the Module System software.

Edit 2: I've tried to convert a copy of my mod into a bunch of processed files but the build_module.bat doesn't specify any errors from not being able to process the files.

Edit 3: I've tried running the build_module.bat with the proper directory for module_info.py but the application is not able to process the module that I've copied onto my desktop. I don't know why.

Edit 4: I've changed the directory of python to ;C:\Python27. Unfortunately, when I've ran build_module.bat, command prompt spit out a list of errors that consists of "python is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.". I don't know how to resolve this.

Edit 5: The error is most likely caused by python 2.7 not being placed in the correct directory. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Edit 6: I've uninstalled and reinstalled python 2.7 and then ran build_module.bat again. Command prompt insisted that all the global variables are compiled, but I didn't notice any changes to the module. Where are the compiled python files?

Edit 7: For module_info.py -

# Warband being installed to C:/Games
export_dir = "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband\Modules\Paradigm Worlds - Rotrules' Edit - Copy"

Is the reason why the files aren't being compiled is because the system module application is being used in the wrong disk?

Edit 8: Am I supposed to rename the files I want to mod into .py files and then run build_module.bat? Am I missing anything when trying to compile files or searching for them?

Edit 9: It turns out that the module system doesn't turn the .txt files of the target mod into .py files. It just overwrites them. I was meant to translate the .txt files into something I could understand and edit but that's not how the build_module.bat works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom