SP - General Matrix horses: jump animation revision

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
If in another thread I was comparing the cycle of running and walking animations of the humanoid agent, this time I observed the quadruped.

5vdOX.jpg

Here you have a video comparing the duration of a horse jumping at a trot and in real race compared to Bannerlord's animations.
The duration of the animation is too long; the horse is suspended in the air too long. Also, the distance of the jump is obscenely long.

Although it is a matter of secondary priority, it would be good to at least keep an eye on it in case it is considered a possible revision of the animation (both for SP and MP).

Have you thought about gameplay consequences though? Shortening the jump would also shorten the time window we have to initiate a jump before an obstacle.

Welcome to the hardcore side my friend. :iamamoron: I'm talking about reducing "flight time"...
Not sure what you mean by "hardcore side" but whatever. I'm avare of that you are talking about flight time and that doesn't change my point. Shorter jumps would require more precise input from the player. If you are saying that you don't care about that side of the coin then off I go.

Not sure what you mean by "hardcore side" but whatever. I'm avare of that you are talking about flight time and that doesn't change my point. Shorter jumps would require more precise input from the player. If you are saying that you don't care about that side of the coin then off I go.
You must be touchy today, I'll explain it with a gif. :iamamoron:
Do you see the effect of gravity on a moving body?

giphy.gif

Well that, a realistic sustaince in air ingame and a sensible jumping distance, is the only thing I'm commenting here...

But, But for Rohan ? :/

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Can understand it though since it can be a little bit over excessive but we must not forget about the action spiced aspect to the game :wink:

*Personally i think to add in the horse skill tree that you can activate an perk so the horse flattens out his 4 legs and crushes the enemy with an special belly dive, but guess thats asking for bit to much as the horse would prob had unrealistically stretched his legs :wink:

Last edited:
It seems I'm unable to explain myself. Just ignore everything I said.

Sorry if I "sounded" in an aggressive tone, far from it... it was simple blunt irony :iamamoron: . Take a look (if you still feel like commenting) at the video and image.

o2Uq5.jpg

The fact is that "the time window" will always be the same for any situation in Bannerlord. What is not possible (or I understand that it should not be) is to have enabled jumps for horses that exceed five rows of soldiers; this is pure matrix. That's why, I repeat again; shortening the duration of the animation "in flight" does not mean shortening "the time window".

Edit:

And by the way, Warband despite having worse animations (in general) the "flying time" was much more realistic (short) if we compare it to Bannerlord.

Last edited:
I don't know if the time window was the right term but I have tried to illustrate it (not on your standards but should help):

o2Uq5.png

As you can see the current jump length allows us to jump from further back and provides a larger margin of error. That was my point. Was just pointing the obvious really. Because since there is a huge delay between pressing the jump button and the moment of actually taking off, at high speeds precise timing can be hard. Obviously jump delay can be adjusted accordingly to this but since you haven't touch on that I have brought the possible gameplay consequences subject.

Wasn't really trying to convince you to anything really. I agree with your post from a realistic and aesthetic standpoint. I have also just saw the Warband video and I'm sure you would agree that horse jumps are much more responsive in Warband compared to Bannerlord. It's just the jump delay subject that I had doubts about. I'm not actually fond of being able jump across the continent if you were thinking that.

Okay, after studying the jump animations in detail with the help of the tools, I will list a number of points that I consider important.

1. As scarface52 says, the jump action moment should be synchronized after the player's request. By pressing the space bar, the horse jumps, no delay; a quick reactive action.

2. The "horse_jump_forward" animation would be interesting to adjust two points.

The first, the spring effect to gain momentum. A real horse propels itself forward and the hind legs are the ones that produce traction. On the other hand, in Bannerlord, it seems that the horse slide (ice skating issue) and does not seem to develop that effect. The second is that the horse in Bannerlord does not angle vertically properly to perform the jump (the jump over a fence or a bot).

6jX0C.gif
IlVCl.jpg

All this, together with the too long duration of the "jump_loop" animations, is what in my opinion squeaks in this kind of animations.

3. The "horse_jump_high" animation is totally unreal (even comical, i have to say) and has no place here, imo; this way a horse does not jump.

And here a little simulation "hiding" the animation jump_high (and its variants).

As I can use the phrase "iT's EaRlY aCcEsS", I will say that I personally would reduce the flight time as I have commented before, no delays as scarface52 says, I would also reduce the jump arc and the jump inclination.
Here is my feedback. ?

Last edited:
For anyone interested (after some research I found this):

There is also plenty of other video footage online, from movies to Go pro footage, I find it very interesting indeed, but at this stage I'm just being picky...

Some revision the rest of horse, rider and riding animations would be appreciated :eek:
Searching for "horse gait" "horse animation", running, biomechanics, analysis, vfx, cgi, motion capture... on google/youtube... will get you there (maybe someone will make a new thread about it :shifty:)
Some games do it very well and can serve as reference:
Red Dead Redemption, Assassins creed, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us II, Battlefield 1, Horizon zero down, Metal Gear Solid V, Witcher 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Shadow of Colossus

https://youtu.be/i78ds3bJFDE - Interesting video of animations analysis of RDR2 if you have the time to see it all, but if not:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom