What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

O S P R E Y
That copter is gone. Like it wasn't even there.
Also, from IMDB:
Megan Fox (Transformers franchise) tackles a thrilling new role as a battle-hardened mercenary in this explosive action saga. As team leader O'Hara, she leads a lively squad of soldiers on a daring mission: rescue hostages from their captors in remote Africa. But as the mission goes awry and the team is stranded, O'Hara's squad must face a bloody, brutal encounter with a gang of rebels - and the horde of ravenous, enraged lions they encounter.
When someone feels the need to refer to your leading star's other roles, it's not a good sign. But I found that a bit funny. Like, "hey, check out our gal, she did another set of bad movies!"

It's that time of the year, the Ig Nobel Prizes.
Always fun to read. Such as:
- knives manufactured from frozen feces (they don't work well).
- an aligator breathing in helium
- identifying narcissists from their eyebrows
- determining, experimentally, what happens to the shape of a living earthworm when one vibrates the earthworm at high frequency."
- trying to quantify the relationship between different countries' national income inequality and the average amount of mouth-to-mouth kissing."

and more...

"More than five years after the judgment in Sayn-Wittgenstein, the Court was confronted once again with a question of surnames containing tokens of nobility in the Bogendorff von Wolffersdorff case. The applicant, a German citizen originally named Nabiel Bagdadi, asked the German authorities to change his name to Nabiel Peter Bogendorff and then, by the effect of an adoption, his name was changed to Nabiel Peter Bogendorff von Wolffersdorff. He subsequently moved to the United Kingdom, acquired British nationality (while retaining German nationality) and changed his name to Peter Mark Emanuel Graf von Wolffersdorff Freiherr von Bogendorff."

2Z1UWAH.jpg

You mean with her being dark skinned? It is unusual in TV and film these days but probably shouldn't be, especially when one considers that it's quite common in theatre to not be too bothered about race or even necessarily gender when assigning roles for a play. It's about the story, and if there is no reason for an actor/actress to look a certain way because of the story, there is no issue; one can easily suspend disbelief over her looking more African than European at the start of the programme.

It's always kind of pathetic when people get ridiculously mad at this stuff, but at the same time it's just kind of cringe because I'm sure the producers know exactly what they're doing. If there was some way of having more black people on TV, especially in period dramas without it instantly becoming a """"political"""" statement that would be much preferable to this.

I'm not mad but amused. It's mainly the feminist angle, the actor not even remotely resembling Anne Boleyn, and claiming it's historical.
They could also set it in Siberia with Mongol actors. It's fine. It's just art. There just comes a point where you need to acknowledge it's not historical.
Tell a different story then. The world is filled with them.

It's just art. There just comes a point where you need to acknowledge it's not historical.

Yeah, that's pretty much where it's at.
I'm pretty certain that all the dozens of African counties don't have any interesting historical or non-historical tale to tell; we need to just watch European history but with black actors and actresses in roles they are most definitely described throughout history.
I would soooo love to watch a series of movie set in Aksum or during the Three Kingdoms period China, but with the cast of Downton Abbey. Man, that would be awesome!

Apologies for the Courier New font, it was the best I could do to emulate the great old Comic Sans.

I'm not mad but amused. It's mainly the feminist angle, the actor not even remotely resembling Anne Boleyn, and claiming it's historical.
They could also set it in Siberia with Mongol actors. It's fine. It's just art. There just comes a point where you need to acknowledge it's not historical.

I can see where you're coming from, and yes it is hard not to groan when reading marketing phrases about woke ideas (the feminist approach to telling Anne Boleyn's story), but as trite and silly as such spiel can sound, telling a story with a different focus or emphasis can be perfectly in keeping with what we know of historical reality and be a plausible, interesting and entertaining new take on a subject. Historians often revisit common subjects in an attempt to look at them in a new light, whether that be giving a hitherto sidelined figure more examination or re-examining familiar characters from a different standpoint, which can of course be a feminist one.

It's just we so often associate such talk with dumbing down, and programmes which are just dressing overly familiar tropes of the moment in an old fashioned settting, where the ostensible subject matter is merely window dressing to draw in people who might be interested in that period. It can also come across to me as air headed people who want to claim every subject in sight as their own, with the same types of character and attitude everytime.

A new Macbeth movie is in the works with several black actors - including Denzel Washington as Macbeth.
And the Macduffs are black too. That's more understandable since it's a work of fiction (and Shakespeare's plays are often experimented with).
However, it still takes place in Scotland and not an imaginary place...
I guess I'm just a narrow minded old fart, and people will say "it has witches for Christ's sake. Anything can happen!"

Back
Top Bottom