Smithing breaks the game

Users who are viewing this thread

My recent playthrough I have powerleveled my main char, partner, brothers/sister, and all companions through smithing. I just made the same 2handed polearm over and over again as soon as I had the minimal resources to do so. If I needed money, I'd sell these, one of which easily cleans out an entire town's cash. I'd just go from town to town collecting best in slot gear for free for my char and all companions.

Even easier was making javelins. I power leveled my char's sister from level 1 to 20 and gave her best in slot gear within 1-2 hours. What points did she have invested? Zero. Just 1 END, 0 skill points, smithing hard capped at 5. She was still leveling up like crazy just spamming those javelins. That's when I realized I could do it on my main char and all the others who capped out smithing, pump out these javelins and get free levels, then rest everyone together in town to make it efficient.

Which led me to the conclusion... the gameplay is absolutely ruined by this. Free money, free leveling, without engaging in any of the intended, interesting game mechanics.

I'm sure it's something that can be fixed, particularly by changing the sell prices of crafted weapons and NOT advancing a char's level exp after they hard cap a skill. But at the moment this exploit is insanely strong.

This is a (very) recurring complaint. Tons of threads about it. For some unfathomable reasons it's not yet fixed, but know you aren't alone thinking this.

"Im abusing/exploiting a mechanic and I dont like it."

Just dont abuse it.

I also use smithing. I like to make good weapons for myself and for my companions.

I like smithing because I use it the way it was intended.
You dont like smithing because you abuse it.

Is this something new ? already been mentioned in alot of other posts and they are most prob already working on balancing it atm. I might see this as a new guy in the forum just putting out his newly experience of the game and its good that the devs got reminded :smile: Atleast you where an good sport about it not using this as an excuse to talk ****... So for that i bow respectfully

Last edited:
"Im abusing/exploiting a mechanic and I dont like it."

Just dont abuse it.

I also use smithing. I like to make good weapons for myself and for my companions.

I like smithing because I use it the way it was intended.
You dont like smithing because you abuse it.
Not that you deserve a serious response, but under your recommendation a char would have to STOP smithing after hitting the skill cap, which means not making good weapons for the main char or companions.

And if all companions are skill capped, the only way to get rid of already crafted weapons would be to remove them from inventory entirely, since selling them or smelting them would be "abuse."

This is ignoring the fact that any decent gamer will use the tools available at their disposal to win. Unless it's purely RP...

What a ridiculous argument you have made... just say "it's early access bro" next time.

Is this something new ? already been mentioned in alot of other posts and they are most prob already working on balancing it atm. I might see this as a new guy in the forum just putting out his newly experience of the game and its good that the devs got reminded :smile: Atleast you where an good sport about it not using this as an excuse to talk **** so for that i bow respectfully
I basically had no reason to try smithing until the perk updates where smithing and athletics added a combined +2 END and +2 CTR down the trees. Smithed items were also supposed to be bad until a few months ago. 350 hours clocked in but I don't spend much time on this forum. Did not see a recent thread about it.

Not that you deserve a serious response, but under your recommendation a char would have to STOP smithing after hitting the skill cap, which means not making good weapons for the main char or companions.

And if all companions are skill capped, the only way to get rid of already crafted weapons would be to remove them from inventory entirely, since selling them or smelting them would be "abuse."

This is ignoring the fact that any decent gamer will use the tools available at their disposal to win. Unless it's purely RP...

What a ridiculous argument you have made... just say "it's early access bro" next time.

There is no way on earth that you'll reach that skillcap without spamming weaponry.
You're only running into that problem if you're exploiting the mechanic.

And if any decent gamer will use exploits to win (in a singleplayer game, congrats, you beat a bot) you'd have to disable mods as well. And console commands.

Just dont abuse it, it really is that easy. Just dont. Keep your hand out of the cookie jar.

Edit: Selling/Smelting wouldn't have to be forbidden if you just dont spam javelins in order to get filthy rich immediatly.

they said they are reworking smithing which takes time so thats why its still broken since whats the point of fixing something your gonna rip out and change anyway

This is a (very) recurring complaint. Tons of threads about it. For some unfathomable reasons it's not yet fixed, but know you aren't alone thinking this.
Thanks yeah that answers things. Not being impatient here, but there are other bugs I'm not mentioning either... just a gameplay mechanic here which apparently is being reworked.

I basically had no reason to try smithing until the perk updates where smithing and athletics added a combined +2 END and +2 CTR down the trees. Smithed items were also supposed to be bad until a few months ago. 350 hours clocked in but I don't spend much time on this forum. Did not see a recent thread about it.
No smithed items are actually better but it depends on your skills, how you make your weapons and luck to ofc :smile: Only problem is thats to easy to get T6 weapons fast anyways in the game that its hard to keep up with the skill of making them in the beginning.

I mean ive been running around with litterarly 3 guys (not in the beginning ofc since i needed the merc contract) and i already have all T6 i need and its early midgame... But sure i could use an smith right now for some sexy pimped out one hander pref this one :wink:
GILDED-IMPERIAL-RUSSIAN-COURT-SWORD-MO-1855_1567174551_5226.jpg

Last edited:
No smithed items are actually better but it depends on your skills, how you make your weapons and luck to ofc :smile: Only problem is thats to easy to get T6 weapons fast anyways in the game that its hard to keep up with the skill of making them in the beginning.

I mean ive been running around with litterarly 3 guys (not in the beginning ofc since i needed the merc contract) and i already have all T6 i need and its early midgame... But sure i could use an smith right now for some sexy pimped out one hander pref this one :wink:
GILDED-IMPERIAL-RUSSIAN-COURT-SWORD-MO-1855_1567174551_5226.jpg
Smithed weapons are absolutely godly which I discovered through this process. Especially once figuring out quirks, such as top polearm swing speed options, javelin options, 2h axe rng factor, etc.

There is no way on earth that you'll reach that skillcap without spamming weaponry.
You're only running into that problem if you're exploiting the mechanic.

And if any decent gamer will use exploits to win (in a singleplayer game, congrats, you beat a bot) you'd have to disable mods as well. And console commands.

Just dont abuse it, it really is that easy. Just dont. Keep your hand out of the cookie jar.

Edit: Selling/Smelting wouldn't have to be forbidden if you just dont spam javelins in order to get filthy rich immediatly.
+1
Abusing something and then complaining it's abusable makes lot of sense though.
Not as if we do not know this is one of those many bugs which makes SP completely out of scope of competitive gameplay. There are way too many and theres nothing we can do about it. I just play those game mechanics which are enjoyable. Maybe in 2021 they will fix all this ...

+1
Abusing something and then complaining it's abusable makes lot of sense though.
Not as if we do not know this is one of those many bugs which makes SP completely out of scope of competitive gameplay. There are way too many and theres nothing we can do about it. I just play those game mechanics which are enjoyable. Maybe in 2021 they will fix all this ...

I agree that the mechanic can be exploited.
But I disagree with the statement OP makes that because of its existence it will be abused.

The beauty about Bannerlord is that it can be anything you want to (as long as it doesnt crashes). Shinobi for example plays excellent roleplay playthroughs and has some great ideas I want to use for my next playthroughs as well.
But OP lacks the self control or discipline to not always go for an easy victory.

He states that every gamer who wants to win will abuse it. But if he cannot control himself and not use cheats/exploits then why would users who can lose a mechanic that they like to use?

Thank you at least someone gets it. (y)

I agree that the mechanic can be exploited.
But I disagree with the statement OP makes that because of its existence it will be abused.

The beauty about Bannerlord is that it can be anything you want to (as long as it doesnt crashes). Shinobi for example plays excellent roleplay playthroughs and has some great ideas I want to use for my next playthroughs as well.
But OP lacks the self control or discipline to not always go for an easy victory.

He states that every gamer who wants to win will abuse it. But if he cannot control himself and not use cheats/exploits then why would users who can lose a mechanic that they like to use?
Okay dude. It's so insane to me that you actually believe a Mount & Blade fan is unable to show self-control in cheating when we have had open mods and open cheat menu options since the first iteration of the series.

In VC if I wanted to respec I'd literally just export the char and open the file in notepad. You could type ANY numbers in there...

When the longbows on horses perk wasn't working in Bannerlord I'd just edit the spitems xml file to allow it...

If I'm going through a fresh playthrough on the hardest settings of course I'm going to try various in-game approaches to min-maxing the clan. I came across this naturally, as many comments have pointed out my finding is nothing new to the forums. How can it be both an intentional AND unintentional exploit?

How is the user supposed to know that you get infinite level ups through an ability that is already skill capped? Your argument is that it's totally fine and not broken? How about trash crafted items showing up in tournaments, barters, all over the place? Or staying in a town's inventory permanently? Like I said just say "early access" instead of making such absurd arguments. Obviously we're all in it for the long haul and patience has been part of the equation for years and years with this game...

Last edited:
How about trash crafted items showing up in tournaments, barters, all over the place? Or staying in a town's inventory permanently? Like I said just say "early access" instead of making such absurd arguments.
This is one thing I can't understand and it really frustrates me to no end. I mean even if I scrap a weapon instead of selling it, it will show up as a prize in tournaments later on, and if you make enough over time they will flood the pool of prizes. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom