can tw please communicate more?

Users who are viewing this thread

According to our QA, this was fixed in a previous patch. However, if you are saying it is still an issue we will test it again.

What do you mean about textues making servers crash?

And custom servers are still a long way away, and that includes any features or additional systems like automatically downloading maps from the server, etc.
The way to make the server crash on Warband was by jumping in an unrecognized texture, and I am 95% sure that it's the same in BL (because it is done exactly the same way). In Warband, that texture was the 2D texture at the end map, whereas in BL, servers can crash within the borders of the map.

I will bring it up internally to see if this is something we would want to do. I'm not sure it would make sense to do weekly though tbh (not enough changes each week for it to be of much value to anyone), but maybe we could do something like that once in a while, after a large update or whatever.
I would ask you to reconsider. Even if there is not much content to discuss (something I find highly unlikely as this community is down to discus the most miniscule of details), a weekly Q&A would do wonders to help repair the image of poor communication that has developed in the community between TW and its loyal fanbase. In my opinion, silence from TW, even when well intended, is worst than Q&As that cover the same topic over and over again because "not much new stuff has happened".

First and foremost, I'd like to thank TW people for posting. There has been a lot more posts these days, and really it makes for a much better relationship and does a lot to keep things better than silence. I understand it might be difficult sometimes to engage with the community, with some people being disappointed/angry/bitter, and that sometimes you have to be the bearer of bad news or other times you feel everything you'll say will get dissected and used against you later, but really, talking to us is very, very appreciated.
Is there something specific you would like to discuss? :smile:
As said above, the first step I'd love is more communication. Being able to discuss the meat of the game with the creators is one of the most rewarding and constructive endeavor in gaming.

As for the subject of discussion, what I'd really like is some in-depth explanations or clarifications for some points (either controversial design choices or some fixes that seems very easy and yet are taking a long time to appear) that would help us understand the problem, and that have caused some troubles in the community. Just knowing a bit more would usually be enough to calm many people, or at least to direct criticism toward more constructive paths - but as it stands, we often don't even know if some change we don't like is actually a deliberate decision or a temporary placeholder, so we can't even know if we should just wait it out or offer our opinion on how to make it better.
Many of these subjects have been problematic for months now, and it can turn away people from the game when they don't know why it's not fixed (when it's seemingly a small change with few or no overarching impact), or even if it's supposed to be fixed or if it's a feature.

To take some concrete examples from the recent past, and why people may be incensed at not knowing the reason or not understanding why it takes so long :

- The damage formula, which makes blunt weapons to be much better than any other. Is this a design choice that "blunt = penetrating armor", or is it something that has to be balanced later ? And if it needs to be balanced later, why has it been mostly untouched for so long ?

- The huge prices of high-quality gear. It causes a lot of recurring problems in a lot of different areas (high-end gear impossible to buy because none is found, weapons that cost as much as an entire castle or town, the hero being unable to afford the gear that he can casually pay for dozens of his soldiers to be outfitted with, people getting filthy rich just by selling loot and breaking the economy, etc.), yet it seems to simply be a small formula to alter. Again, why this problem has been left untouched for so long when it feels it can be changed very swiftly ?

- The changes to the gear of many units in the game. Lots of people feel that the new gear is uglier/less fitting than the previous one. But it's hard to know if it's a change of design that is here to stay, a lot of placeholder until new models are made by the art team, or tweaking armors to get desired stat and then the appearance planned to be altered later. Could you provide more information about it ?

- Samely, armor stat which makes a lot of "lighter" items providing better protection than "heavy" ones. Is it a choice ? Is it temporary ? Is it a bug ?

- A probably very sensitive point, but which is at the forefront of what many people are worrying about : why does it take so much time for even small changes to be made ? We all understand that TW isn't a AAA studio, and nobody expect you to have the same resources. But yet, from the outside, the game is advancing at what seems to be a glacial pace, despite an already extremely long development life (about 10 years). People wonder, and it's hard to not throw conjectures. Is there facts you would be allowed to disclose that would help us understand ?

Etc., etc.
I think we just want to engage more with the dev. I know I want ! :grin: I also know I won't like some design choices, but it's still better to know what the intentions are and where the game is going than to just always wonder "is it a choice or a bug ? Is it temporary ? Is it a test or a design decision ? Why is this trivial change requiring lots of work being made before this critical one that could be solved in a day ?" and so on. Even answers we don't like are better than no answer :smile:

I mean, we are trying to keep you updated as much as we can with things like the development update videos, and the plans for SP and MP threads here on the forums, but outside of that we are certainly open to ideas and ways to keep you informed of what is going on with development.

maybe you guys should work on a development roadmap. that way, we'd have something to discuss. otherwise, people feel like they're throwing dumb ideas into the void. the more you tell us about your vision, the more we can offer as feedback, critique, etc.

I would like TW to talk about the class system properly. 95% of players hate the general idea of a class system. It is restrictive, unbalanced, boring and ugly to see everyone look the exact same. People want to customise their looks and playstyles = engaging gameplay.

TW needs to adress that.

As a side note: I'm annoyed by this snarky communication style of asking "what else do you expect us to do?" I know it feels like an own because we, who don't know much about what you can *actually* do, aren't able to give accurate, exact directions. Whatever we suggest will be unrealistic, which you then use as "proof" that we're unqualified to speak. I won't be surprised if that's how TW responds to my request for a roadmap (if there is a response at all). That's a massive copout. It's like a chef telling me "you try cooking it" after I tell them that my steak is overcooked. If we aren't happy, and we explain why, then it's TW's job to figure out how to fix that; I'm not responsible for changing a bad chef's recipe—my feedback should be enough.

It's pathetic for TW to hide behind this implied idea that the community hasn't given adequate feedback. I told you what we wanted (more communication), now figure out how to deliver it. Quit being a wimp and asking questions like "well what do you want me to talk about?" Everyone can see that it's a lazy way to avoid responsibility for your failures. @Callum

I've heard that VOIP would be ingame, but how would it work? Would it be for a specific game mode only, like captain mode and skirmish, or would it also be in tdm and siege? In that case, would both teams would be able to hear each other, won't make sense if everyone is alive, but when everyone is dead, maybe? For own teams, would players only hear and talk to each other if they're close together (more realistic), or would it be globally, everyone can hear eachother from across the map?

Flame baiting
As a side note: I'm annoyed by this snarky communication style of asking "what else do you expect us to do?" I know it feels like an own because we, who don't know much about what you can *actually* do, aren't able to give accurate, exact directions. Whatever we suggest will be unrealistic, which you then use as "proof" that we're unqualified to speak. I won't be surprised if that's how TW responds to my request for a roadmap (if there is a response at all). That's a massive copout. It's like a chef telling me "you try cooking it" after I tell them that my steak is overcooked. If we aren't happy, and we explain why, then it's TW's job to figure out how to fix that; I'm not responsible for changing a bad chef's recipe—my feedback should be enough.

It's pathetic for TW to hide behind this implied idea that the community hasn't given adequate feedback. I told you what we wanted (more communication), now figure out how to deliver it. Quit being a wimp and asking questions like "well what do you want me to talk about?" Everyone can see that it's a lazy way to avoid responsibility for your failures. @Callum

Get a life bro, and GTFO of here.

Aren't you the guy being a douchebag almost all the time? Are they not doing a great job considering the circumstances? Again, get a life, and GTFO of here.

Thanks, he deserves that kind of argument. Nothing more, nothing less.
Wow you're so cool, can i be your friend please.

You must have such an exciting and joyful life to get mad over a few letters

A fine argument.
Wow you're so cool, can i be your friend please.

You must have such an exciting and joyful life to get mad over a few letters

Who says im mad? I do enjoy a bit of pleasure honestly in treating douchebags like douchebags should be treated, but I am pretty good atm. Well right now working from home due to the Covid, I got tested positive yesterday, but beating it little by little. If anyone gets it, get multivitamins with Zinc. It helps a lot!

Who says im mad? I do enjoy a bit of pleasure honestly in treating douchebags like douchebags should be treated, but I am actually pretty good atm. Well right now working from home due to the Covid, I got tested positive yesterday, but beating it little by little. If anyone gets it, get multivitamins with Zinc. It helps a lot!
Valid criticism != Douchebags.

I believe the COVID strain you have has mutated and has developed a new side-effect called being mentally retarded

Valid criticism != Douchebags.

I believe the COVID strain you have has mutated and has developed a new side-effect called being mentally retarded

Read again post #72 from Canton. If you do not think he is writing as a douchebag would write, you are one too, and you will eat knuckles for breakfast from me, figuratively speaking.

Back
Top Bottom