Resolved War declarations by AI seems to be unbalanced in 1.5.4 (constant state of 3 kingdoms vs 1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.4
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: I'm currently a mercenary for Sturgia. Three factions (Vlandia, Battania, and Northern Empire) declared war on Sturgia. Obviously as a mercenary I cannot propose peace. However, I looked in the Kingdom tab and there is 100% support for peace with Vlandia and Northern Empire, but only 3% support for peace with Battania. These wars didn't just start; they have been ongoing for quite awhile. Sturgia has been at war with Vlandia for almost my entire play through. Northern Empire declared war on Sturgia second (or Sturgia declared on them, I'm not sure which), and Battania went to war with Sturgia third (again, not sure who declared). But it's been a fairly long while since Battania went to war, Sturgia has been getting dogpiled for some time. Sturgia has lost a few castles so far. So, given the fact that there is 100% support for peace with two of those kingdoms, I would think Sturgia would make peace with at least one of those kingdoms so they can better defend their land. I don't know. Also, those three kingdoms are not at war with anybody else. Western Empire was briefly at war with Vlandia at one point and just as Western Empire was about to take Sargot, they declared peace. Literally I was hovering my cursor over Sargot and they only had to kill like 40 more garrison troops to take Sargot and peace broke out. I feel like this was balanced fairly well in 1.5.3. Sturgia even made some gains in my 1.5.3 playthroughs. But in 1.5.4, Sturgia has resumed the mantle of whipping boy. They're getting trounced. Good for me. I have a lot of enemies to fight as a mercenary, but I wonder if I'll face the same issue when I finally create my own kingdom. Now, I will say that when you go into the encyclopedia you will see that Vlandia, Battania, and Northern Empire are considered at war with some minor factions. Does that count towards the AIs calculations of going to war against kingdoms? I don't the effect war with minor factions has on war with kingdoms, but I guess something to look into.
How to Reproduce: I don't know. Save game is at the upload site. Just open it and you'll see how Sturgia is getting dogpiled. This is only my first legit playthrough on 1.5.4, so I don't know if this is just a chance deal or if it's a legitimate balance issue. One other poster talked about this in a thread entitled 1.5.4 Issues. He had the same issue with Vlandia. Three kingdoms declared war on Vlandia and none of them were at war with anyone else.
Quest/Settlement Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video): uploaded save file at upload site
Version: 1.5.4
Installed community-made modifications: None
Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz
RAM: 16 MB (15.9 usable)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. G731GU Version 1.0
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

*** Update. I made a very interesting discovery right after I posted the above. So, I wanted to see if these wars were tied to me somehow. So, I left Kingdom Sturgia. I let the game play through for a few days and Sturgia made peace with the kingdoms it was at war with. So I then I thought, well maybe that was about to happen anyway. So, I reloaded my save game and went and hit out at Revyl still as a Mercenary for Sturgia. I waited in Revyl and let the game play through for several days. Sturgia continued to be at war. So, it seems to me that these three kingdoms being at war with Sturgia has something to do with the fact that I am a Sturgian mercenary. I'm going to run through this little experiment a couple times and see what happens.

**Second Update. So Twice I left Kingdom Stugia and this is what happens as soon as I leave them. Stugia makes peace with one kingdom that same day. They make peace with a second kingdom on the second day. They make peace with the 3rd kingdom on the third day. So, each time I leave Sturgia, they are at peace within three days. This is from a total of three run throughs doing this. So, each time I leeft Kindom Sturgia on Winter 20, 1086 and each time they were at total peace by Spring 2, 1086.

I also stayed in kingdom Sturgia a total of three run throughs. Each time I stayed in Kingdom Sturgia I started from my save game at Winter 20, 1086 (just like I did for when I left Sturgia). I let the game play out until Spring 5, 1086 which is 3 days beyond the point where Stugia had made peace with all its enemies. There was not peace declaration. The wars continued.

So just to check, On the final time I allowed the game to playthrough Spring 5, 1086, I departed Kingdom Sturgia. Again, within three days of me leaving Kingdom Sturgia, they were at total peace with their enemies. So war decalrations and peace are definitely tied to the player being a member of a kingdom. It seems once you join a kingdom, the AI will dogpile that kingdom. As soon as you leave that kingdom, they stop dogpiling. I think there needs to be some balance to this for sure. There's no way any kingdom in this game can contend with three other kingdoms dogpiling them. I get it may happen occasionally, but this has been going on for quite some time. If the devs can balance this out I'd appreciate it.

@mexxico this is interesting. Could this be tied to the fact that player kingdom AI make less decisions and let the player control things more? Obviously this shouldn't be applied to factions that the player is a mercenary or vassal of

@mexxico this is interesting. Could this be tied to the fact that player kingdom AI make less decisions and let the player control things more? Obviously this shouldn't be applied to factions that the player is a mercenary or vassal of

Thanks for alerting.

I checked situation and you are right there is something missing in code.

J2Qc9.png

Peace / war voting is triggered by random even it is 100% supported. This does not mean it will be trigered just at that day. You can see probability is about 5% per clan to trigger peace voting if kingdom has 8 clans (each day), this probability reduces to 2% if player is in that kingdom. If player is in a kingdom there happen even less peace / war votings because we want player to trigger these if possible so we reduce probability in kingdom which player is member of so we give him a 5-10 days of time period generally. However there we should check if player is under mercenary service or not. I am fixing it. So if player is in mercenary service it will be triggered with higher probability as other kingdoms.

Fixed situation (I also changed probabilities a bit) :
hZamv.png

Last edited:
I probably could've influenced it more as a vassal though. I could see there was 100% support for peace with Vlandia and NE. If I were a vassal I could've spent the influence points to make peace with at least two of those kingdoms. I'm just not sure at what point that support grew to 100% since I wasn't paying attention to that the whole time. Was it before or after Sturgia lost some of their castles? I don't know. We were at war for quite awhile before I finally said wtf and reported it. I kept telling myself... "any minute now Raganvad will sign a peace treaty with somebody.... any minute now... ok... any minute.... 3 - 2 - 1 - peace treaty... nope... any minute..." I just didn't want to be a vassal in this particular play through.
Thanks for alerting.

Thank you sir.

Thanks for alerting.

J2Qc9.png

Peace / war voting is triggered by random even it is 100% supported. This does not mean it will be trigered just at that day. You can see probability is about 5% per clan to trigger peace voting if kingdom has 8 clans (each day), this probability reduces to 2% if player is in that kingdom. If player is in a kingdom there happen even less peace / war votings because we want player to trigger these if possible so we reduce probability in kingdom which player is member of so we give him a 5-10 days of time period generally. However there we should check if player is under mercenary service or not. I am fixing it. So if player is in mercenary service it will be triggered with higher probability as other kingdoms.

Fixed situation (I also changed probabilities a bit) :
hZamv.png
Awesome so if I'm understanding correctly, now if the player is a mercenary that faction will have the same probability as if he wasn't. Also you adjusted it to where if you are a vassal your kingdom will vote 33% less and if you are king they will vote 67% less?

Once again my friend, thank you.

I probably could've influenced it more as a vassal though. I could see there was 100% support for peace with Vlandia and NE. If I were a vassal I could've spent the influence points to make peace with at least two of those kingdoms. I'm just not sure at what point that support grew to 100% since I wasn't paying attention to that the whole time. Was it before or after Sturgia lost some of their castles? I don't know. We were at war for quite awhile before I finally said wtf and reported it. I kept telling myself... "any minute now Raganvad will sign a peace treaty with somebody.... any minute now... ok... any minute.... 3 - 2 - 1 - peace treaty... nope... any minute..." I just didn't want to be a vassal in this particular play through.

Thank you sir.
(y) I'm glad you said something, I normally skip right by the mercenary work and become a vassal/king where this kind of reduction is expected.

While checking that I realized very big bug. Currently if I am at a vassal at a kingdom any of their elections cannot resolve if player do not click icon and start that election. Can you confirm it?

For example I am vassal at Sturgia and our lords want to make peace with Khuzait. Icon comes to right of screen and player do not click it and this election is not triggered and peace is not done even 2 days past. After 2 days icon is removed from right of screen and that election is not resolved.

While checking that I realized very big bug. Currently if I am at a vassal at a kingdom any of their elections cannot resolve if player do not click icon and start that election. Can you confirm it?

For example I am vassal at Sturgia and our lords want to make peace with Khuzait. Icon comes to right of screen and player do not click it and this election is not triggered and peace is not done even 2 days past. After 2 days icon is removed from right of screen and that election is not resolved.
Yes i have encountered this bug too if you work on that i would really appreciate a hotfix for it as it gets a bit annoying really

Last edited:
Yes this has existed the entire time, to be honest I've been using it to exploit not enacting bad kingdom policies lol

Yes kingdom policy proposing AI should be added to game also. Currently they are proposing policies nearly random. Only their characteristics are effective. There should be better AI and if clans need influence they should propose policies giving extra influence or if clans need gold they should propose a policy giving extra gold.

Back
Top Bottom