Diffuse2map

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I am trying to study materials and texture and I want to ask about diffuse2map, the meshes looks fine on editor when I added diffuse map and other things, in-game mode(editor launcher) they look fine too except for body armors, they kinda look yellowish and found out not having diffuse2map is responsible for that yellowish color.

So I tried it in-game(normal launcher) and saw that not only body armors have color change but also all item piece with those materials applied. from black, they became violet

The situation is, I copied and put weapon material, the weapon_fine_steel to the armor parts as experiment. They all look fine in the editor.

The question is what and how to create diffuse2map, they seemed like a negative color of diffuse map but I tried that and it doesnt look good.

Solution
Hello, I am trying to study materials and texture and I want to ask about diffuse2map, the meshes looks fine on editor when I added diffuse map and other things, in-game mode(editor launcher) they look fine too except for body armors, they kinda look yellowish and found out not having diffuse2map is responsible for that yellowish color.

So I tried it in-game(normal launcher) and saw that not only body armors have color change but also all item piece with those materials applied. from black, they became violet

The situation is, I copied and put weapon material, the weapon_fine_steel to the armor parts as experiment. They all look fine in the editor.

The question is what and how to create diffuse2map, they seemed like a negative...

The question is what and how to create diffuse2map, they seemed like a negative color of diffuse map but I tried that and it doesnt look good.
The diffuse2 texture on an armour is a mask, which controls the application of faction colours:
hbfb0.jpg

The red channel controls the primary faction colour - white applied and black no faction colour.
The green channel controls the secondary faction colour - white applied and black no faction colour.

Any material which uses this system must also have the use_double_colormap_with_mask_texture shader flag checked.

If you have that shader flag checked without a diffuse2 texture in your material, that might be causing your problems. You could just disable that flag - hopefully that will improve your visuals.

You'll note that faction colours are normally used to colour the cloth or fabric parts of armour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
I learned a lot from that thank you, so that's why only the cloth part has those red colors, anyway the use_double_colormap_with_mask_texture is disabled in the first place. I found out it wasn't about diffuse2map.

I made a material and I copied every detail/flags of one original material and applied it on the same armor.

this is the material
w7LcQdt.png

This is the armor with a copied material and it's original material
ZNUUmY8.png

I'm not sure what I lacked here.

Upvote 0
That's not override, this is what I did.
1. Imported imperial_lamellar_c armor as fbx
2. I created new material named asd(randomly) for testing
3. Copied every parameter the native material has to my new material.
4. Applied that "asd" material to the imported imperial_lamellar_c

My goal is to create my own material, just a simple color and apply it to armors.

The same result happens when I created a default material, the brick and applied it to armor, they are all pink or violet
xi0cZd5.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's not override, this is what I did.
1. Imported imperial_lamellar_c armor as fbx
2. I created new material named asd(randomly) for testing
3. Copied every parameter the native material has to my new material.
4. Applied that "asd" material to the imported imperial_lamellar_c

My goal is to create my own material, just a simple color and apply it to armors.

The same result happens when I created a default material, the brick and applied it to armor, they are all pink or violet
xi0cZd5.png
After creating your material, did you compile its shader and save the compiled version before use?

Upvote 0
Yes, I did click those compile shader and save.

I tried overriding imperial_lamellar_c with the brick default new material. Still pink

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems like it's not about flags and channels :sad: . I created an override, it works fine, and then I just adjust the color factor a little and the problem is back.

Edit: changing color factor is fine

changing the name of material resulted in pink

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems like it's not about flags and channels :sad: . I created an override, it works fine, and then I just adjust the color factor a little and the problem is back.
That's worrying. IIRC pbr_shading is a legacy shader. I wonder if you'd experience the same problems with a material that uses the replacement metallic shader.
BTW what 2D image editor are you using to modify the diffuse and how did you extract an image to modify? Was it just a screenshot from the texture inspector?

EDIT: Oops. I've misunderstood. So you didn't change the diffuse texture at all just changed the faction colour. I think that's only meant to be used to tint instances of static scene props, not rigged armour. For rigged armour, you're meant to use the diffuse2 system discussed above.
If you want to recolour the armour, I believe you'll need to import a revised diffuse texture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I wasn't adding new textures for materials. I'm just testing native materials for study purpose. Anyway, I learned a lot here. Thank you :smile:
I'm done making new armor with just arranging UV for the color I want.

DJfdtrB.png

Just a hint. Those pinkish color is also the color I see in blender during texture paint. But it also appear in native models so I don't think blender is the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I wasn't adding new textures for materials. I'm just testing native materials for study purpose. Anyway, I learned a lot here. Thank you :smile:
I'm done making new armor with just arranging UV for the color I want.

DJfdtrB.png

Just a hint. Those pinkish color is also the color I see in blender during texture paint. But it also appear in native models so I don't think blender is the problem.
Armour looks cool. :smile:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom