Why can't we add food to castle's stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Strongly agree there should be a way to directly move food from party inventory into a castle's stores. The inability to do so breaks realism for no apparent gameplay reason.

Kingdom management is part of the game. If your garrison troops are dying for lack of food then you're failing to manage your kingdom. It's not something the devs need to fix, it's something you need to fix. Reduce your garrison so the city or castle's food production can sustain them. Limited resources is a fact of life. If you have food for only 100 soldiers, you recruit only 100 Soldiers, not 200.
Kingdom management, sure. Then why do they not let me... you know, manage the food supply? I have the ability to buy years worth of food for entire cities, but I cannot donate some of that food to keep a castle garrison fed. So your argument makes no sense whatsoever.

It makes sense in that you are given a set of constraints to play this game as you are given a set of constraints in real life. One constraint is that you cannot personally donate food to your garrisons. Getting around that problem doesn't require a dev fix. Sure, devs can fix it. It would be nice to be able to fill up the granaries after taking a castle or town. But, even without the ability to do that, you can successfully improve your city/castle's status and get their food stocks up to a point where garrison troops aren't dying. If we're going to choose to add more realism to the game regarding donating food to garrisons, then another logical step to that would be not allowing armies to carry the equivalent of 5 or more years worth of food. I really don't think it's realistic that a medieval army would carry so much food with them as to be able to sustain themselves on the march, during a siege, and then have enough left over to stock the garrison granary up to its full capacity. For me it's a realism balancing issue. If I can donate food to my garrisons manually, just declare me the winner of the campaign as soon as I open the game. 300-400 man garrisons everywhere. I'll be a god in Calradia. When I die they'll call my King Badazz the Feeder, Sweller of Granaries, Stuffer of bellies, the Duke of Gesticulation. If we want a food easy button, just ask the devs to write food out of the game... or just leave it as a trade commodity and not something that effects the wellness of your army and garrisons.

True, the lack of ability to add food directly to the castle stocks could be looked at as a necessary restriction for making the game more challenging. Though enough people seem to want that ability regardless...perhaps it could be an option you could decide on when starting a new game or could be tied to game difficulty. On a potentially related note, they did add Stashes to Castles (or at least that's what the notes for 1.5.4 beta say)...maybe they will make it possible for a Castle to use any food in the Stash if the other usual food stocks are depleted? We will see.

Last edited:
True, the lack of ability to add food directly to the castle stocks could be looked at as a necessary restriction for making the game more challenging. Though enough people seem to want that ability regardless...perhaps it could be an option you could decide on when starting a new game or could be tied to game difficulty. On a potentially related note, they did add Stashes to Castles (or at least that's what the notes for 1.5.4 beta say)...maybe they will make it possible for a Castle to use any food in the Stash if the other usual food stocks are depleted? We will see.
I'm cool with them adding the ability to add food manually. It just isn't a game stopper for me if they don't. But if they do add it, obviously they need to ensure there isn't some secondary effect that screws up game balance.

Kingdom management is part of the game. If your garrison troops are dying for lack of food then you're failing to manage your kingdom. It's not something the devs need to fix, it's something you need to fix. Reduce your garrison so the city or castle's food production can sustain them. Limited resources is a fact of life. If you have food for only 100 soldiers, you recruit only 100 Soldiers, not 200.

this is completely different from early game to late game, like night and day. what you're saying is only the case for early game where proper party management is easy to do.

fast forward to when you are a tier 4, 5 or 6 clan:
  1. unless you successfully made your own kingdom, you are part of a major kingdom and only have a couple of fiefs at best, and there's so many vassals you will NEVER get another fief again unless you defect and make your own kingdom. with fiefs being money pits due to income nerfs and no space to put big garrisons, this is where the problems start
  2. as soon as a raiding culture declares war, your villages will be raided daily by legions of vassals, knocking out your food production for weeks at a time, on all fiefs
  3. now because the khuzaits and battys are sending doomstack after doomstack at you, you need to pick up the slack of the mediocre AI vassals in winning the war against them. but to do that you need troops, and you need space to put them, which you don't have because of #1. and owning fiefs drains your money so you don't have that either.
  4. so now you have to put 600 troops that you need to fight caladog into your 1 broken fief that's hemorrhaging denars because all your workshops just got nuked and caravans chased down by horse archers, so your troops start deserting because like you said, there's only enough food for 100 troops.
it's absolutely broken late game, mods is the only way to fix it

this is completely different from early game to late game, like night and day. what you're saying is only the case for early game where proper party management is easy to do.

fast forward to when you are a tier 4, 5 or 6 clan:
  1. unless you successfully made your own kingdom, you are part of a major kingdom and only have a couple of fiefs at best, and there's so many vassals you will NEVER get another fief again unless you defect and make your own kingdom. with fiefs being money pits due to income nerfs and no space to put big garrisons, this is where the problems start
  2. as soon as a raiding culture declares war, your villages will be raided daily by legions of vassals, knocking out your food production for weeks at a time, on all fiefs
  3. now because the khuzaits and battys are sending doomstack after doomstack at you, you need to pick up the slack of the mediocre AI vassals in winning the war against them. but to do that you need troops, and you need space to put them, which you don't have because of #1. and owning fiefs drains your money so you don't have that either.
  4. so now you have to put 600 troops that you need to fight caladog into your 1 broken fief that's hemorrhaging denars because all your workshops just got nuked and caravans chased down by horse archers, so your troops start deserting because like you said, there's only enough food for 100 troops.
it's absolutely broken late game, mods is the only way to fix it
I don't disagree with your use of the word "broken". Maybe not a fair word given the game is still early access, but yes a lot is broken. And I'm kind of giggling now that this whole thread is about food. There's so many other issues, and some are interrelated, that need to be fixed.

What this specific food issue comes down to is play style. I get it. Your play style would benefit from the ability to manually manage food. Reference your point number 4, I don't play the game like that. I don't store troops in garrison to pull them out later if my army gets crushed. When I take a castle or town, the troops that the party leaders in my army donate to the garrison are pretty much all that ever goes in the garrisons. I will slowly replace tier 2 and below troops with 3 and above over time. But I don't really add troops. When my army suffers attrition I replenish the ranks through recruitment or hunting down parties who have prisoners and recruiting the prisoners. I also generally keep some mid tier prisoners in my party and recruit them as they become available. When I reach level 125 leadership, I hunt down forest bandits and take them prisoner because I can draft them and eventually promote them to Fians. Influence is easy to build in this game so I spend a lot of time late game in large 800 plus man armies. Garrisons aren't really something I concern myself with because by that time I'm excessively rich and am steam rolling the map. Also, I often don't even need to fight an enemy when they do besiege a castle or town. I just camp beside them and if I have maybe half their numbers, they tend to break the siege and chase me. I run for awhile until my army is up to capacity, and then I turn on them and mud stomp them.

I have regretted not keeping sizeable garrisons a couple times though. But I actually like the challenge of losing territory and having to fight to get it back.

Back
Top Bottom