Is skill progression much slower now? (Beta 1.5.3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello

I was away from the game for 4 - 5 months now and I came back recently and started playing on 1.5.3 version. It's day 509 in my current campaign and I fought a lot, I have max points in athletics, one handed and polearms and around 6 points in vigor and 10 in endurance but despite that after all this time I haven't even reached 100 lvl in neither of this skill. I also have 3 points in crossbows and have been shooting it for a while now but I only leveled it up to like 40.

Is this desired? I mean... I was playing this campaign through the last week and this is progression I used to be able to make in 1 - 2 days in Warband or even in early days of Bannerlord EA, is this going to stay like this? I just can't imagine how much time and effort it would take to train your skill to something like 200 and unlock some of the perks I would love to have.

Last edited:
Yes the requirements for getting xp is a little harsh in this game. you have to fight on max speed to get most of the xp. you have to wait for the bow bevor shooting, so you get the speed bonus. trust damage get more xp then swing dmg. etc.
talk about leadership, medicine, charme. Only steward and scouting are fine for whatever reason.

Yeah its ridiculously unplayable, I had to use a mod to get around it. It uses linear xp increases per level instead of exponential so its actually possible to use. Still not perfect and recently I've been having a bunch of crashes I'm not sure if its caused by that mod or another but it probably is.

They really need to fix this by reworking their xp formulas.

@mexxico Can You provide some information about that? Is this how it's supposed to be? Do You guys know about this? And are You planning on changing it in any way? It's really tedious and boring to level up your character right now

It doesn't feel different to me? Maybe a bit slower for the first few levels, somewhat faster for the later ones? The only change mentioned was going from SP to XP based per-level.

I don't think it's slower overall. I do think leadership, medicine, and maybe engineering need to have a bit faster leveling especially at first. But I feel like all combat skills as well as athletics and riding are good spot. Of course smithing needs to be tweaked too and by tweaked I mean nerfed.

I'm not sure about that. In a battle where I killed around 30+ enemies using one handed sword and dealing around 100 cut damage per hit I wasn't able to increase my one handed and athletics more than +1 per battle and these are only around lvl 90 each. I have max focus points put into both skills and around 6 attribute points into vigor and 10 into endurance. Yesterday I've spent like 2 hours doing only that and increased my stats by maybe 15 points each.

I just took a look at a save from before few months and at day 337 I had 121 in one handed, 101 in athletics and 139 in throwing with 4 attribute points in vigor, control and endurance. In my current campaign I'm at day 508 and I'm still behind in according skills with bigger effort put into raising them

While I'm not entirely sure about how much has changed since then I still think that it takes a lot of time to get to something like lvl 100 in some of these skills, even if You're dedicated to raising them and You're investing points to max out learning speed. I can't imagine how much time and effort must it take to raise it to 175.

Also, I've hired a surgeon companion early on in my current campaign and through all that time his medicine skill has raised by... 4

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that. In a battle where I killed around 30+ enemies using one handed sword and dealing around 100 cut damage per hit I wasn't able to increase my one handed and athletics more than +1 per battle and these are only around lvl 90 each. I have max focus points put into both skills and around 6 attribute points into vigor and 10 into endurance. Yesterday I've spent like 2 hours doing only that and increased my stats by maybe 15 points each.

I just took a look at a save from before few months and at day 337 I had 121 in one handed, 101 in athletics and 139 in throwing with 4 attribute points in vigor, control and endurance. In my current campaign I'm at day 508 and I'm still behind in according skills with bigger effort put into raising them

While I'm not entirely sure about how much has changed since then I still think that it takes a lot of time to get to something like lvl 100 in some of these skills, even if You're dedicated to raising them and You're investing points to max out learning speed. I can't imagine how much time and effort must it take to raise it to 175.

Also, I've hired a surgeon companion early on in my current campaign and through all that time his medicine skill has raised by... 4
Fyi athletics levels much faster with piercing damage than slashing damage. I typically do tournaments and practice sessions to level up combat skills and even with the lower skill gain it does go much faster because I can't get enough swings in during battle unless it's a big battle.

Yes I think one of the biggest issues with companions is how absurdly slow they level, well that and how wonky their stats can be. But to level medicine I use to use the crossbow or bow with blunt ammo and shoot my own troops at the end, but sadly TW has taken that away for now. What I do now is get a bunch of loots or peasants and put them into a separate group and have them running the fray first. Alot of them will get kill or wounded and this is a decent way to level up medicine. It's gamey as hell but there is not other way that I know of to do it consistently.

It's the same to me. both in my 1.5.2 started game and 1.5.3 new game.
I was able to massively power level bow and riding on a new game same as always.
Polearm and athletics seem about as slow as always. Polearm is okay IMO but athletics needs some help but I've talked about that a lot.

What is you MC level and learning rate for the skills? What was it the past game where you felt it was easier? Every level up lowers your learning speed for all skills. So if say in current game you gained a bunch of levels via smithing (or anything) it would make your progress slower then in a game where you didn't do that. What you're describing does not sound out of the normal range of skill gain for those skills. Melee weapons are slower to build up and athletics is very very slow. Bow and riding are very very fast by comparison.

Is this desired?
No, they need to work on the formulas for how skills gain exp. Most are too slow, a few are absurdly fast by comparison.
It's even worse for passive skills like medicine and engineering.
yeah that's how it be. I've had great ones with the right stats to learn well too and it was still ultra slow. I've tried to force it on MC too (blunt arrows FF own troops)but it's just too slow to be worth it.

What is you MC level and learning rate for the skills? What was it the past game where you felt it was easier? Every level up lowers your learning speed for all skills. So if say in current game you gained a bunch of levels via smithing (or anything) it would make your progress slower then in a game where you didn't do that. What you're describing does not sound out of the normal range of skill gain for those skills. Melee weapons are slower to build up and athletics is very very slow. Bow and riding are very very fast by comparison.
Typically if I'm going to do smithing I do it much later in the game so I don't artificially over-level my character and because smithing is too easy to level up no matter what level I am.

Yeah, the best thing is to smith just enough to get a decent unlock and then have your companion smith it. Save smithing yourself for level 16+.

Yeah, the best thing is to smith just enough to get a decent unlock and then have your companion smith it. Save smithing yourself for level 16+.
The nice thing about using it for leveling up companions is even if it's maxed out you can still use it as a global leveler, for instance your brother has a ton of red skills if you level him up with smithing bam now he has several skills that can keep going up.

This is good, but you can get the same unlocks on companions just as easily too! It's for your whole clan!

The nice thing about using it for leveling up companions is even if it's maxed out you can still use it as a global leveler, for instance your brother has a ton of red skills if you level him up with smithing bam now he has several skills that can keep going up.
Yeah that's a nice function of smithing, too bad about adding items to the towns shops and bloating the save though.

It's the same to me. both in my 1.5.2 started game and 1.5.3 new game.
I was able to massively power level bow and riding on a new game same as always.
Polearm and athletics seem about as slow as always. Polearm is okay IMO but athletics needs some help but I've talked about that a lot.

No, they need to work on the formulas for how skills gain exp. Most are too slow, a few are absurdly fast by comparison.
It's even worse for passive skills like medicine and engineering.

yeah that's how it be. I've had great ones with the right stats to learn well too and it was still ultra slow. I've tried to force it on MC too (blunt arrows FF own troops)but it's just too slow to be worth it.

Riding is only fast to level if you use a bow. Trying to level up riding using melee weapons is as slow as athletics.

When I finish tutorial (last time I spent three hours to retreat and clean Radagost hideout repeatedly using mace first hit by thrusting (or two if low dmg) then finishing target with regular swing to wound him to have him another round avaliable ) I finish tutorial with 150 athletics. Then I continue to 200 to get that vig (175 gives End). Just create char with 6 end at the begining. No need for more, for you get 1 End from Athl. and 1 End from BS.

If you need riding and want to avoid bow then use crossbow (no focus needed). I know everytime to mount and dismount is bad but riding is rocketeering with xbow headshots at long and medium range. Avoid close range shooting, save target for better shot from afar.

When I finish tutorial (last time I spent three hours to retreat and clean Radagost hideout repeatedly using mace first hit by thrusting (or two if low dmg) then finishing target with regular swing to wound him to have him another round avaliable ) I finish tutorial with 150 athletics. Then I continue to 200 to get that vig (175 gives End). Just create char with 6 end at the begining. No need for more, for you get 1 End from Athl. and 1 End from BS.

If you need riding and want to avoid bow then use crossbow (no focus needed). I know everytime to mount and dismount is bad but riding is rocketeering with xbow headshots at long and medium range. Avoid close range shooting, save target for better shot from afar.
Sweet Jesus I think I'd lose my mind doing the tutorial hideout for 3 hours. :shock:

Athletics should be always faster leveling up then riding, because of the nature of the fights. Most of the time i try to not get overrun in battles, because everything is in the way. Everything! :grin: Friendly troops, enemy troops, bushes, trees, walls, stupid stone on the ground.
Horsearcher? Oh there fighting in front of me? pew pew pew. Or you ride to the big gooble blob of sadness, where the try to shieldwall and you ride around, and make pew pew pew.
Or you attack a castle with around 100 arrows and a high skill in bow...

Back
Top Bottom